main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Am I just missing them, or is there none of Williams' themes in CW?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by DMan304, Jan 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DMan304

DMan304 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 10, 2004
    Yoda's Theme played in Ambush, but since then I can't seem to recall a single John Williams theme used in the cartoon.

You'd think they'd at least use Across the Stars during the last Malevolence episode. That one was sorely missing IMO.

2. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    I remember the Force Theme in Rising Malevolence. But you're right, JW's themes have become far too rare...

3. JediCow

JediCow Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 27, 2005
    I personally prefer that Kiner creates his own themes, and integrates William's stuff sparingly, rather than using it as a crutch. Six films worth of music stretched across 100 episodes would get pretty repetitive, in my opinion.

4. MvG-88

MvG-88 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2008
    I agree. Even if Kiner's music cannot compare to William's it's still nice to have an original soundtrack rather than recycling the old one to death and put it out of context.

That's not saying a bit of William's music isn't good when it's appropriate.

5. DMan304

DMan304 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 10, 2004
    I agree that it shouldn't be used too much, but at least use it some.

Even some of the new themes from Kiner, like Ahsoka's and Rex's/The 501st only get used very sparingly, if at all.

So far Rex's theme has only been in the Clone Wars movie, when Anakin, Rex, and his troops jump down in the opening battle ("Follow me"), and then again a few times in Rookies, when Rex introduces himself,when the Clones storm the outpost to reclaim it, and at the end.

I admittedly might not be familiar enough with Ahsoka's to recognize it if I heard it. :)

6. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    I cant stand about 85% of Kiner's music but regardless of what i think by right they SHOULD use at least some of the legendary John Williams music a LOT more than they do now.

I understand what people mean by it could get old after 100 episodes but thats only if it is OVER used. If they just used it like once or twice an episode it would be perfect.

Dont get me wrong i love the show so far but the score is terrible. It seems like they don't even try to stay true to john williams music and by not staying true to his music you are not staying true to star wars because his music is star wars and George Lucas himself said that without his music he doesn't even think the films would have been successful.

They argue that they are trying to come up with music thats "original" but by doing that you change the whole feel of star wars because its not supposed to feel "new" is purposefully supposed to feel like your watching adventures from an anchint fairy tail, everyone seems to forget that this is "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" -well guess what? theres not supposed to be funky techno music in a setting like that.

and if anyone wants to argue than just first tell me if you would want to go back and watch Luke gaze at the twin suns in ANH with techno music playing instead of john williams beautiful, legendary, timeless score. o_O

/end rantO:)

7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The intro to every episode doesn't, doesn't count?

8. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
  9. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Yet funky syncopated rhythms and funky showtunes are fine in a setting like that?

10. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007

Things like the cantina band and alien music in the background of a bar are different than the actual score.

11. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I like the new music....John Williams' Star Wars theme is great, but honestly after playing dozens of Star Wars video games and hearing the exact same motifs note for freaking note (especially that damned TIE Fighter Attack track), I have to say I get sickened at the lack of originality.

12. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Of course, there's nothing quite like John Williams music, but the new score is really really really refreshing.

13. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    I really understand what people mean about having something new to listen to for a change and i agree so please don't get me wrong but what i mean when i say im unhappy with the new music is that its not star wars sounding music, there are air guitars and techno in it, i mean COME ON!

If it was closer sounding to what star wars music is supposed to be than it would be fine. They need to use the same kinds of instruments as John Williams and the same stile and as long as they do that then it will be fine.

Its supposed to be Classical music not rock or techno. Thats all im saying.

14. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    Air guitars don't make any noise... they could be all over the Williams scores for all we know!

I think the techno stuff was an early experiment that was done away with pretty quickly. Which is fine.

15. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    I found it really cool, really catchy, and very refreshing. Do you know how many Star Wars games are set to the ROTJ soundtrack?! :oops:

16. MvG-88

MvG-88 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2008
    I just got a twisted image in my head with John Williams conducting an orchestra, and in the front row there are ten guys all playing air guitars.

And Kiner is experimenting, there is gonna be some failing. I'm all up for giving Star Wars a different sound, and let's face it, not everyone can be the (arguably) best soundtrack composer of all times. That said, I don't like the techno either, but either I'm not perceptive enough or it only ever appeared in Downfall of a Droid.

17. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I agree that having some original music is nice, but JW has so many awesome themes and cues that it would be nice to throw them in at some important moments.

18. darth_grievous1

darth_grievous1 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2004
    I prefer the use of an "original" score so to speak. I don't mind if they reuse some of Williams' score, but if they must, at least change it up, don't just play the soundtrack CDs in the background (opening/closing themes in use right now = good. Using Duel of Fates for every epic battle scene would = not good).

19. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    I heard a touch of the Force theme in Trespass, but I don't care. I love the music in TCW. LOVE IT!

20. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    That's because the POINT of most SW games is to feel like you're playing in the world of the movies. I can understand your frustration with the same exact recordings being re-used over and over; of course it would be better if there were more new arrangements of the music. But JW's themes are the single most important thing in the franchise when it comes to keeping things together from one project to the next.

Look at Knights of the Old Republic: The characters are different from the movies, the ships, droids, and weapons all look different, the sound effects are different, but all it takes is that faint hint of the Force theme in the apartment on Taris and suddenly there's no doubt that this is STAR WARS.

Themes are DESIGNED to be repeated. I don't care whether the melody is played by a symphony orchestra, an electric guitar, or a MIDI sequencer; when I watch something called "Star Wars" I expect that at some point the Star Wars theme is going to be used to heighten a moment of heroic adventure.

21. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    You don't need to have the Star Wars theme to make it Star Wars. The new music is refreashing, after six movies and plenty of games with the same music. It gets boring after awhile.

22. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    I dunno... thought the music over the preview for next week sounded kinda techno-y. And that's not a bad thing. :cool:

23. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    In AOTC, during the air speeder chase over Cosuscant... JW used electric guitar. I didn't like it.

Some of the games have used original music. True story, in the end battle of AOTC, since the effects were done after JW completed the score, they used music from the games to fill it out. They did something like this for ROTJ end space battle, but instead just took the music from ANH's space battle. End true story.

Also, we need more air guitar in TCW.

24. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    Me neither, but mainly because it just played the same thing over and over again and was more like sound effect: dive-bomb the tremelo bar every time a speeder goes downwards. Sort of one-note, no pun intended.
    And, it goes without saying, more cowbell.

Anyone else remember the rumors about Bono appearing in one of the prequels? And one of those boy bands, I forget which one?

25. CloneCaptainRex

CloneCaptainRex Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2008
    I'm not a big fan of the techno.

(Btw, Filoni said in one of the commentaries that the techno was the space theme, space battles etc.)

I really liked the Teth themes and Ahsoka's theme(It hasn't been used since the movie:_| ).

The one that really stood out for me was the Tatooine theme. That was amazing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.