main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Am I on to something, or...? (LotF Spoilaz)

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature (Spoilers Allowed)' started by Rogue_Ten, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    One of the moments that's perplexed and had me rereading it the most in LotF is the part in Exile where Lumiya and Luke hold hands. What was she doing?! I don't trust anything Lumiya does, so I feel very inclined to believe there was a malicious motivation for that.

Could she have somehow poisoned him with that touch, without him knowing it? Or even just somehow gained influence over Luke's mind? This could be why Mara thinks of "finishing what Luke started" in the ambiguous excerpt Random House released a bit ago. Maybe our beloved Grand Master is dead, infirm, or otherwise incapacitated as a result of Lumiya's treachery. It would be a very "Dark Lady of the Sith" way of insidiously offing Luke.

Or maybe Lumidee just genuinely felt that a lovey-dovey moment was appropraite in the middle of a freaking duel. Yeah, right... :p

At any rate, this is probably a pretty crazy idea, but I predict that the handshake in question will, at the very least, have some implication for the future books of LotF...

An even crazier idea would be that there's still some good in her and Lumiya will wind up Sacrificing herself in a bizarre turnaround if Jacen goes REALLY far off the deep-end and tries to destroy the Galaxy or something.

This handshake will not go unnoticed... ;)

2. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

I think the entire point was that she was trying to put doubts in Luke's mind that she resurfaced to be evil, and to possibly cause a rift between him and Mara. Mara certainly won't like it when she finds out that Luke decided not to kill Lumiya because they were holding hands.

Carnage

3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I just read it as her way of screwing with his mind and seeding doubts about what she was up to. Also, it delayed him until the trap went off, which I think might also have been a major reason. I don't think that would have established some sort of mind control, but the idea of poison hadn't occurred to me. It's certainly credible, though I would think that Luke would be able to pick up some sort of danger sense from being poisoned.

4. SuperLariat

SuperLariat Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 8, 2003
    Two words:

Luuuke Skyywalker

5. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    maybe just maybe... Lumiya chooses to off Jacen killing him, or sacrificing herself when fighting against Jacen to save Luke!!! in a way so that all think she is good and Jacen the badass. oh well..

6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Or maybe she wants to make Mara jealous by taking Luke for herself.

Luke and Lumiya, sitting in a tree...

7. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    and then comes Obi Wan and tells him.. she is his other sister.. or halfsister? maybe

8. killfire

killfire Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2001
    Maybe Mara wants to mate Lumiya ...

... to finish what Luke started. :eek:

9. SuperLariat

Jun 8, 2003
    Off to the Sex Thread with you

10. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    I read it as her proving to Luke that this wasn't about revenge and this wasn't about destroying Jacen, but genuinly about her trying to save the Sith and bring them back.

11. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    Why doesn't Lumiya just kill him for heavens sake...........

12. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    I'm thinking that killing Luke Skywalker isn't all that easy. It seems many people have tried in the past with little success. You don't just wake up in the morning, decide "I'm going to kill Luke today", go find him and do the deed. He's a freaking really powerful Jedi master. She surprised him last time and cornered him in a less than ideal situation. She still failed.

Carnage

13. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    If you think Lumiya was honest, then you could see it as a realization that this is not their fight anymore. Lumiya is really past revenge, and as she's made certain that her goals will be achieved through Jacen, she can essentially retire. This isn't about Luke and Lumiya finishing what they started 40 years ago, it's a different galaxy and it's not important if one of them kills the other. Because this is the fight of the new generation.
    If you see it that way, this was the best "passing the torch"-scene since Luke felt weak enough for retirement in the conclusion of TUF.

On the other hand, if you don't trust her, she might have used this moment to induce Luke with doubt. Luke might not be willing to go for an all-out-killing move like before but might try to redeem her (see Raynar). Mara, seeing her child threatened, wouldn't agree and would go alone as Luke had become too weak with doubt (like in DN, when the evil ones knew how to use the doubt of their enemies).

BTW, slightly off-topic: If Jacen and Lumiya appear in the same costume and make-up, and Luke and Mara actually get to see both of them at the same place - you know where my question is going, don't you? [face_monkey]

14. SuperLariat

Jun 8, 2003
    I took their make-up to mean they looked something like darker skinned Southern American / Latin in nature.. Which, with Luke seeing Jacen dressed as such should have made him a little wierd in the first place, but then he was fighting Lumiya in the same couple of minutes? Certainly most of us would have at least come to SOME kind of reasonable solution to the whole "Jacen is going evil and Lumiya is working GAG".. They've gotta stop dumbing down Luke and let him open a few cans before he's offed.

15. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Lumiya had a little time offscreen, didn't she? She could possibly have removed the makeup in that time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.