main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Am I supposed to feel SORRY for him?!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Widowlander, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Widowlander

Widowlander Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2005
    Yes, he WAS one of those little kids once, unfortunately none of THOSE little kids were running around putting people to the saber for love now were they?

Nor do I recall any of those kids swearing alligience to the Sith. And if one of those little kids DID decide to go on a psychotic barrage of baby killing goodness, I'll feel exactly the same way about THEM as I do about HIM.

2. JEDIFRIGHT

JEDIFRIGHT Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 8, 2000
    When he force chokes Padme he is already evil. His entire meeting with Padme on Mustafar is an attempt to seduce her into joining him. At that point it is not love for Padme but a lust for power. Notice how that encounter with Padme is different from all previous encounters seen in the film. The tone of that scene and the dialogue exchanged are very different. Again subtle but very well done by Lucas.

3. Annina

Annina Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2005
    I felt very sorry for him.He was in such a miserable state in the end.If you can't feel for him there you have no heart...

4. Widowlander

May 15, 2005
    So with that logic, can we really say that he did ANY of it for Padme? Sounds like he did it all for power to me, if ALL THIS TIME, it is built up that he is doing this for the love of Padme, than out of the blue its about power? Hmmm, not sublty my friend, its called bad structure.

5. Darthoffski

Darthoffski Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2003
    Sorry for him? Mmmm...

Regret for what became of the little boy from tatooine who was corrupted by an evil man who exploited his weaknesses related to protecting those he cared about and understanding that his motivation might have been a premonition but ALL his dreams come true and in his opinion his wife and child were as good as dead if he did nothing?

Yup.

6. Widowlander

May 15, 2005
    Ok....I have no heart now?! LOL, this entire thread has been about, what I feel, was pointless killing of children by, what I deem, a monster. So I dont feel sorry for a psychotic murderer getting what he deserved?! What about the kids? I think you might wanna rethink who's lacking hearts here.

7. JEDIFRIGHT

JEDIFRIGHT Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 8, 2000
    It's the conflict within. Notice that he even cries on Mustafar. But the dark side dominates once he has accepted that course. There is conflict (seen later in Episodes V & VI) but the dark side contiunes to dominate - that is until he destroys the Emperor.

8. Penkhull

Penkhull Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2004
    He didn't stand a chance against Palps who was confusing him at every step, I think the movie implies that Palps might even be behind the dreams he was having.

Yoda's sayings about the darkside were rammed home, the Jedi lost Anakin the moment he killed the Sand people, their lack of empathy meant he was truly alone and Palps managed to use the drug of the darkside to warp his mind until he didn't know which way was up.

I don't think you are not supposed to feel sorry for Anakin during the duel where he has been destroyed by a foe greater than any Jedi has ever faced (Palps) you are supposed feel sorry for what Anakin should have been and I for one did.

Palps is the villian who destroyed a once good man to stop a prophecy coming true.

"The Jedi will need you more than they know"

(Guess, only seen it once)

9. JudroBathens

JudroBathens Jedi Master star 1

Apr 10, 2002
    You know, I do feel a little sorry for him. Not because I can understand or condone what he did... but because I see that Anakin was a good man who made the wrong choices. He did what he did, and there's no denying that... he murdered innocents, he betrayed every principle he was sworn to stand for, and he did it all for his own selfish purposes. I really feel like he wanted to save Padme for himself, for the sake of his own happiness and not out of selfless love or compassion. He said it himself--"I can't live without her."

But I feel a little sorry for him, just because of this: he was a human being, with human failings, and when push came to shove he wasn't a saint. None of us are perfect, and I think that there's always the possibility that any of us could do something horribly wrong in the heat of the moment.

Meanwhile, Anakin lives the rest of his life in constant torment--a literal living hell. And he deserves every second of it.

Chémus likes this.
  10. Zonama_Mekot

Zonama_Mekot Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 25, 2004
    Nothing says sincere love like a good ole' force choke!!

Actually, that is the point when I feel Anakin truly falls to the dark side. Up until this point he believed that he could save Padme, and that was his main intent. Only once he saw Obi walk out of her ship and thought she had betrayed him did he truly let his rage take over. At that point he believed she was lost to him, and he ceased to be Anakin Skywalker, and completely became Darth Vader.

11. Tachikoma-Kun

Tachikoma-Kun Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2005
    Anakin was evil from the very beginning. He may have been a nice kid in Menace but kids that age usually are nice, no matter how they will turn out later. I found Anakin to be an annoying character in AOTC and couldn't care less what happened to him. I wonder what the jedi did to this nice kid after Menace. The good kid that was Anakin became a killer as a teenager. He was never a good man. There is nothing tragic about him. It allmost sounds like an excuse that the things he does, he does out of love. If he hadn't been in love, he would have found some other excuse for joining with the sith. Thats my opinnion.

12. Aegypticus

Aegypticus Jedi Youngling

Aug 21, 2003
    If you knew the definition of sociopath and psychopath, you would know Anakin doesn't even come close to fitting into those categories.

13. Gonk

Gonk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 1998
    What I'm most disppointed from in this movie was that I was expecting a real challenge of moral values that great tragedies like Lear and Hamlet (but not MacBeth: that guy got what he deserved) do. What we got was something that moved in that direction but floundered in very, very important details.

If they had simply reversed the flow of conversation after killing Windu, the movie would be ten times as powerful.

As is, the conversation flows thusly:

Point1: "I can't believe what I just did"
    Point2: "I am going to follow you to the Dark Side"
    Point3: "We have no choice but to move quickly and consolidate power."

It should have flowed like this:

Point1: "I can't believe what I just did"
    Point2: "We have no choice but to move quickly and consolidate power."
    Point3: "I am going to follow you to the Dark Side"

If everything Palpatine says AFTER Anakin already turns is said BEFORE (and turned up a notch), the character development flows properly.

Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy.

14. Penkhull

Apr 10, 2004
    I think you're missing the point and for the movie to cover all aspects of his and Palps character it would have to have been 10 hours long, i think your expectations are wrong thats all.

15. Obi-2_Kenobi

Obi-2_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2004
    "Sorry for him? Mmmm...

Regret for what became of the little boy from tatooine who was corrupted by an evil man who exploited his weaknesses related to protecting those he cared about and understanding that his motivation might have been a premonition but ALL his dreams come true and in his opinion his wife and child were as good as dead if he did nothing?

Yup."

I could not agree more. It was his fault that he was so greedy and attached so deeply, but that is all from before. What happens to him in ROTS is almost beyond his control. He is a pawn. I myself may have lopped off Mace's arm to save my wife and child. Vader is no longer a monster to me. He is a good man who fell to darkness under great pressure and redeems himself in the end by destroying the greatest evil in the galaxy. I feel very sorry for him.

16. FOX2005

FOX2005 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    I feel sorry in this respect that Anakin had everything going for him but chose to do the wrong thing and then kept doing the wrong thing. This happens so often in life especially with ppl in prison. It just takes 1 mistake to lead you down the wrong path and Anakin's mistake cost him Everything, so at least we can see why Vader really had nothing to live for after that other than being the Emporer's enforcer.

17. Penkhull

Apr 10, 2004
    I think you can relate the darkside to a mind-altering drug, by the end of the movie Anakin doesn't exist only Vader. Anakin has been destroyed by Sids and because of that I feel sorry for him.

It?s like blaming the woman from the exorcist (sorry can't remember characters name) for vomiting pea soup.

What Ben told Luke was true from a certain point of view.

18. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    If anything the fact that this is debateable is the best possible situation that could result. Darth Vader IS evil...and I'm glad it stayed that way. But as it is in reality when someone commits heinous and vile acts there is always a reason. Even insanity in and of itself is not the persons fault given that it is often hereditary or brought on by traumatic events. But some are able to rise above it.... It truly is a question. Also can a person truly ever be redeemed for what Anakin did?

In the end he was manipulated, he was driven over the edge....but it was his decision.

19. CMNDR_BACARA

CMNDR_BACARA Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    Feel sorry for him.
    or don't.
    I don't care.

20. sithforcemaster

sithforcemaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 20, 2004
    The poster of this topic is 10000% correct.

Anakin deserved everything he got. He had multiple chances to listen to those that cared for him and advised him. But no, his selfish desires nearly got him destroyed.

And whoever said that Anakin was just a good man that bad choices...thats ludacrous.

I suppose rapists, wife beaters and child murderers are also good guys that make repeatedly bad choices too.

Vader should not be redeemed, only justified for his final act of killing himself along with Sidious.

21. Penkhull

Apr 10, 2004
    Only the Sith deal in absolutes

22. Cmdr_Gabe_E

Cmdr_Gabe_E Jedi Master star 2

Dec 26, 2003
    like the sithforcemaster above, and the original poster of this thread, i do NOT feel sorry for anakin. sorry, but i really DON'T x.x!

i know no one deserves to suffer in the way he did (getting limbs cut off and then frying like that x.x), but after all he did, and all the people he killed, i so do NOT feel pity for him.

first of all, he betrayed his mentor, and betrayed the people who were good for him like mace and yoda and the other jedi masters. he was given numerous chances to return to the lightside but he refused. he killed a person just because the palpy commanded him to, and he almost killed the very woman he wanted to save.

Anakin went nutz. he fell to the darkside too quickly. he practically lost his mind and opened his own self to palpatine. tsk tsk tsk! yah, i didn't feel sorry for him.

23. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    I think we should all be glad that he didn't take the evil away from Darth Vader. Yeah he told us why and showed us how, but Darth Vader is evil.

24. Penkhull

Apr 10, 2004
    If you didn't feel sorry for him I think you missed some of the aspects of this film. Not ones on screen!

25. Martigan

Martigan Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    Widowlander,

If you felt sorry empathy for him in ROTJ and you say the youngling slaughter has now changed that feeling, then what about when Vader blew up Alderan and billions of its inhabitants including women and children!! Come on, I think you're just trying to find an excuse to nitpick this film to death.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.