main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Am I the Last of the D6 System GMs?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Tremaniac, Jun 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tremaniac

Tremaniac Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 26, 2002
    I've been looking around for a while and I've noticed the distinct lack of West End Gamers(d6 publishers), and am starting to fear the worst. While I've picked up SW3e, I just can't get into it like I could with the old system. My players are adamate oldtimers as well. They stick with the "If it ain't broke..." mentality of gaming, and just are not into d20. Are there any other holdouts out there? If not, anyone know where I can find certain WEG sourcebooks? I've got pretty much everything I need, but no collection is complete. Thanks for listening and good gaming everyone.

2. Kir_Salonane

Kir_Salonane Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2002
    The D6 system was great, probably just as good as the current edition. The only reason I don't use is because the books are no longer published. This means that they are both really hard for me to get ahold of and there aren't be any official stats for anything after 1997 or so. For some reason I don't like using homebrew stats.

3. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    I play d6 whenever possible, in fact it is one of the main reason that I go to GenCon.

I've got a bunch of books from WEG and pick up more whenever I can find 'em.

4. E_Greyshadow

E_Greyshadow Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2001
    I still play D6. Matter of fact, I prefer it to WotC's D20 system. That, and WEG didn't put out 40 page expansions for 40 bucks (Canadian).

5. Kir_Salonane

May 27, 2002
    Luckily, neither did WotC.

6. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Feb 21, 2001
    But WotC expantions are a lot more for a lot less quality.

7. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    What about ebay? I noticed a mad rush for people to offload old WEG stuff when SW3e came out. Any chance some of it is still grabable? The Strat still has some stuff here in NY, but not what I need as a GM. Adventure sourcebooks? A GM craves not these things.
    Basically equipment books and rule mods are the name of the game. I've got houserules up the yin yang here because the system doesn't account for certain things, but damn is it fun to make this stuff up. Plus, I don't like that you have to hit the imaginary level barrier to get cooler. My players are progressing at thier own liking. I'm just making sure they know there's more to life than Blaster and Dodge.

8. Ping

Ping Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 23, 1998
    I'm a staunch WEGer all the way! I have looked at the WOTC version, and it's okay, if you don't have something better, which is what I consider WEG to be. I have no problem cooking up my own stats, and I don't believe in the Vong, so I don't need stats for them. :)

A good place to look for books is apparently at conventions. A friend of mine got "Heroes and Rogues" and "Pirates and Privateers" for only a few bucks each from a dealer who had bunches and bunches of the WEG books.

9. Cessna

Cessna Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2002
    No, you aren't the only d6 GM left. In fact, I just joined the ranks of d6 GMs!

I found a huge pile of old d6 books for sale at the local hobby shop, and they really sparked my interest. I bought a whole bunch of books and adventures, and I'm looking forward to running a campaign for some friends soon...!

10. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    Thank The RPG Gods I am not alone! While I do not oppose the D20 system (I've been playing D&D3e since it's release) it lacks the ease of use and familiarity of the d6 system. I've seen some rules for the Vong on D6, but to be honest, I like playing during the classic trilogy setting. Nothing beats the big bad Empire as a nemesis. And lets face it, if the Empire gets boring, you have the Hutts, the Black Sun, the Corporate Sector, and lord knows how many private parties who may want to settle a score. Man, my current tweener campaign has the intrepid anti heroes in the Unknown Regions, fighting a gruelling war against a race of xenophobic aliens bent on wiping out anything that's not them. And it's still safer for PCs than the d20 system.

11. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Feb 21, 2001
    I know what you mean, the d20 is really hard on PCs.

12. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    When all is said and done in the D20 system, a crit can still kill a PC pretty handily. Actually, my one experience in playing SW d20 ended promptly when the GM realized too late that certain things just aren't mean't for beginning characters. And I can't forget the fact that only by pooling the entire groups funds could we afford ONE blaster! Besides, it's easier to progress at your own pace with the D6 system. No character want's to be 5 xp away from getting cooler.

13. Kir_Salonane

May 27, 2002
    Hey I'm not going to argue with ya. Continue on in blissfull ignorance if it keeps you happy.

14. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    Nothing blissfully ignorant about it. I have both systems, I've tried both systems. I prefer the original. Again, if it's not broke, don't fix it.

15. Maj_Odo-Taji

Maj_Odo-Taji Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2001
    And as always, it is a personal opinion on if it is broken or not.

Personally, using d6, seeing a Wookie soak a lightsaber shot that hits him/her tends to signal that something is wrong, but maybe that is just me. :)

Regards,
    Maj-Odo Taji

16. Kir_Salonane

May 27, 2002
    Agreed, but some optimists are willing to overlook these flaws for simplicity's sake.

17. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    Gotta get lightsaber combat up. Hell, I've seen PCs dice up Rancors with 4 shots with a high enough Control and Alter. The real beauty of the system is the simplicity. SW is the breakthrough game I use to introduce people to RPGs specifically because the system is so easy. It's perfect in that sense if you think about it. An easy system, a story known to all, and a chance to do something everyones wanted to do since they were kids, be a Jedi. If that can't turn someone into an RPGer, I don't know what can!

18. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Feb 21, 2001
    Personally, using d6, seeing a Wookie soak a lightsaber shot that hits him/her tends to signal that something is wrong, but maybe that is just me.

Maj-Odo Taji , thats the same as VP in the new system.

19. Maj_Odo-Taji

Oct 12, 2001
    Personally, using d6, seeing a Wookie soak a lightsaber shot that hits him/her tends to signal that something is wrong, but maybe that is just me.

Maj-Odo Taji , thats the same as VP in the new system.

---------

Difference is, in the d20 system, a loss of VP shows that while no direct damage was taken to the person, fatigue is being taken by the player hit.

Spend a Force Point and soak all the damage form a fairly high-powered lightsaber hit? While simple, just doesn't fit the game feel/style I like to play in is all.

All a matter of taste though, not bashing any systems.

Regards,
    Maj-Odo Taji

20. Kir_Salonane

May 27, 2002
    Yes, vitality represents near hits and generally amount of energy the character has, not health. IMO Star Wars d6 is the second best RPG out there, d20 being the first. SW d6 is way better than d20 dnd though. Death to dnd!!

21. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    HEY! I like D&D. I like Star Wars more, true, but there is no need to call for the demise of the game that really got RPGs as we know them started.

22. Kir_Salonane

May 27, 2002
    Hey I was kidding (or at least half kidding), don't bust a circuit.

23. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    I've always done soaked shots as stopped by armor (if worn), or very narrow misses (if dodging). So the wookie burning the force point to take a shot was either seriouly lucky dodging, or his armor caught the lightsaber hit at the right part.
    Of course, conversely, you could've had the Jedi in question burn a force point with lightsaber combat up as well. Oh, and Rage, because that plus 10 would stack with Lightsaber combat and be doubled as well for the force point. So 20+5d6+(Controlx2)-number of attacks(up to control)= dead wookie, rancor, TIE fighter, etc etc. Wookies are good yes, but with the force, all things are possible. Well, most things.

24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh, I don't know about last, but you're one of them! ;)

E_S

25. Maj_Odo-Taji

Oct 12, 2001
    Tremaniac,

I see your point, and while a very valid one, just doesn't float ym boat is all. The issues I have with d6, d20 seems to "fix", in my opinion. Just so much quicker, especially in combat. And personally, I'd rather combat consume as little time as possible compared to good storyline.

Of course, a good epic, heroic battle of the underdog good guys against the grossly superior bad guys is always a little fun too. ;)

He who launces off rooftops onto a swoop to rescue a smart-mouthed princesses,
    Maj-Odo Taji

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.