main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Am I the only one getting tired of this ?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by darthgetalife, Aug 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthgetalife

darthgetalife Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 21, 2002
    Just caugth this news at ComingSoon.Net :

Ewan McGregor Talks Star Wars: Episode III
    Source: The Independent
    Friday, August 1, 2003

UK's Independent spoke with Ewan McGregor before he headed to the set of Star Wars: Episode III. Does he really like playing Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Thanks to Star Wars commitments, Ewan McGregor won't make it to this month's British premiere of Young Adam (the opening film at the Edinburgh Film Festival), but he gives every impression that he'd far rather be back home in Scotland, supporting a film he ranks among his finest, than down under in Sydney, playing Obi-Wan Kenobi for the third time. "I'm delighted to be in the Star Wars films," he says, with little seeming conviction. He doesn't even bother to hide his frustration at being required to spend another four months acting "into thin air" for George Lucas. He confides that the special effects are so demanding and time-consuming that there's little opportunity for improvisation or, indeed, performing with another human being. Only the action sequences stave away the boredom.

Having said that, he does have some positive things to say.

"There'll be quite a lot of fighting in the film and I always enjoy that," he admitted shortly before he set off for Australia. Shooting was only a few weeks away but he hadn't yet been shown the screenplay, quite an irony considering how much emphasis he claims to place on "good writing" when choosing new projects. "I imagine it [the Star Wars series] has got to resolve itself with me and Hayden Christensen [who plays Anakin Skywalker] having some big, kick-off fight."

Trying to be fair i have even pasted the last part of the article ? here's the link

But the heck

am i the only one tired of this bitching about blue screen ?

Frankly can someone find any quote from any actor of the LOTR, Matrix or even X-MEN movie franchises complaining this bad about blue screen ?
    Can anyone really compare what Alan Cuming have gone trough to play Nightcrawler with the things Ewan does in the PT movies ?
    Carrie Anne Moss broke her freaking kneebone doing the Matrix sequels.
    Did you ever see her complain ?
    What is so bad about blue screen ?
    Would mr. Mcgregor rather have his eyes hurt from a grenade like Hale Berry in Die Another Day ?

If the actor dislike what is being done why doesn't he just quit ?

This is sickening :mad:

2. effortless_skill

effortless_skill Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    i agree i am tired of ewan crying about filming this movie,he is no longer worthy to me for this role .this will be his biggest movie ever and all he does is cry

3. slavegirl

slavegirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Sorry, but I've got better things to be sickened by that an actor getting tired of bluescreen.

And bear in mind that Ewan's probably only made a few comments about hating bluescreen in interviews, but whenever an article about him in Star Wars is written, they repeat what he's said, making it sound like he says this every time he opens his mouth.

4. vampire-jing

vampire-jing Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 2002
    I don't mind Ewan's comment itself, he has every right to express his feelings about bluescreen.

But the sad thing is: many people will use his words to attack GL and the movies, even the actors. Such as "You see? Even Ewan McGregor criticized GL's direction! GL JUST CAN'T DIRECT!"

:(

5. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    well,I don't think it's Gls fault or anything :) but I just think ewan doesn't know how lucky he is sometimes. :)

6. A-WingsRule

A-WingsRule Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    he is no longer worthy to me for this role

:eek:

Ewan is cool! Yeah, it does get a little irritating hearing it every single time but as noted above, a lot of interviews are repeated.

7. gator

gator Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 20, 2003
    It's hilarious when actors complain about how hard it is to make movies. I doubt they complain about the paychecks they get.

I don't care if Ewan hates acting to a bluescreen or to nothing at all. He's great with this role. He still seems to love Star Wars and has never bitched about the actual finished movies themselves.

8. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    darthgetalife
    If the actor dislike what is being done why doesn't he just quit ?

This is sickening

Well I've read that article a couple of times and I can't see what you're getting upset about.
    Look again - here are the things Ewan said in that piece:

"I'm delighted to be in the Star Wars films,"
    "There'll be quite a lot of fighting in the film and I always enjoy that,"
    "I imagine it [the Star Wars series] has got to resolve itself with me and Hayden Christensen [who plays Anakin Skywalker] having some big, kick-off fight."

All the negative stuff was written by the author. Not McGregor.

I have seen Ewan vent his frustration about filming the PT in other interviews. But I don't see how you can say he does it in that one.

???

g

9. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    Ewan's a 'people person'. He loves the people he works with on Star Wars...I've never heard a bad word about any of his co-stars, only praise. When everyone of the rabid fanboys was getting stuck into little Jake Lloyd for his 'bad acting', it was left to Ewan to say how highly he thought of the kid. He thinks the world of Hayden and has said as much on record. Daniel Logan adored Ewan, and the way he helped him out during the Kamino scenes. Anthony Daniels says that he loves working with Ewan because he makes him laugh on set.

Whether he should have known what it was all going to be like before he signed his contract is not the issue: he might have guessed, but does anyone truly know until they experience it themselves? Ewan simply loves people, as an actor and as a person. To be continually stuck working without humans, surrounded by a sea of blue or green is his idea of a nightmare!

Was this artical not written before flying out to film E3? All he's got to go on are his past experiences, which evidently weren't good. He should have more interaction this time with Hayden and Natalie so perhaps it won't prove so stressful for him. I'm guessing we'll be hearing some positive comments from EMcG after shooting's over. At the end of the day it's his performance that counts.

Don't stress out about what he says. You might not like it for various reasons, you might think it unprofessional, you might hope deep down that everyone would want to love every second of being involved in Star Wars. But it's not just Star Wars that he singles out for censure. Anything's fair game if it displeases him: if Ewan likes something then he'll say so and if he doesn't he'll still say so. Good for him for having the guts to say what he thinks! And please remember that the British press always focus on the negative. Words have a nasty habit of being given new and interesting slants in the UK. ;)

-Jem

P.S: Gezvader28 is correct. In this instance all the negativity comes from the interviewer.

10. Ani_dala

Ani_dala Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 18, 2003
    Yeah Ewan sometimes says weird things, but he is a good, very cool and very funny actor, he is good playing Obi-Wan and when he said tha the didn't like Episode I everyone started to say bad things about him and stuff

I support EwanMcGregor! :cool:

11. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    I seem to recall Mark Hamill storming off the set of TESB at one point, he was so frustrated. So Ewan's not the ONLY one. And Alec Guiness and Ewan's own uncle, Denis Lawson, have said a lot worse about the films.

I think Ewan just is the kind of person who speaks before he thinks. But by all accounts, he's also a good guy, a friendly, funny individual and a devoted husband and father.

12. Punisher

Punisher Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 1998
    I guess people don't have a right to complain about their jobs, huh? ;)
    I'm sure Lucas has done his fair share of grumbling after a bad day of filming.

I don't care who you are or what you do, any job can be a pain in the ass sometimes.

The difference is celebrities get paid much more and don't normally deal with the same concerns some guy making minimum wage does, so they can complain about their jobs, politics and social issues, when most people really don't give a **** because they are just trying to live paycheck to paycheck.
    I'm glad to hear some good and bad, I don't live in the dream world that people working on SW movies love everything and everybody they work with, that's fiction and fanboy delusion.

Someone, somewhere isn't going to be happy, that's life, best come to terms with it now.

13. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Even if Ewan did say those things...I don't blame him. He's saying as actor...he'd prefer to do scenes with another actor, and not thin air.

So he's no longer worthy of playing Kenobi, eh, Effortless. You've got to be joking.

14. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    Frankly can someone find any quote from any actor of the LOTR, Matrix or even X-MEN movie franchises complaining this bad about blue screen ?

In fairness to Ewan, the PT used 3-4 times more bluescreen than LOTR, Matrix & X-Men. I can definately see why the guy is getting annoyed.

Ewan's criticism isn't too bad, all he is complaining about is how boring filming is. What about Alec Guiness who made more personal attacks on Lucas, and the movie's when they finished. I think Guiness' attacks were pretty childish for a man of his class, Ewan is just having a bit of fun.

15. Lieutenant_Page

Lieutenant_Page Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    Personally, I don't really care about what Ewan thinks. We all have our own opinions, right? If he wants to complain, all the power too him :) Besides, he is still a fantastic actor. :D

Just as long as he is still Obi-Wan, I'll be happy.

16. JangoFett316

JangoFett316 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 2, 2001
    Ewan probably says much more about filming than what is written. He's a really layed back kinda guy, it's unlike him to complain about anything in that amount.
    I guaran-damn-tee that the press only pulls out the negative aspects of the interview to bash George Lucas and the Star Wars franchise. This should come of no surprise, they've been doing this since '99.
    Now, am I the only one getting tired of this?

17. metaforcesaber

metaforcesaber Jedi Master star 2

Oct 13, 2002
    I think, that if you put everything together-all the variables, all the info, all the facts- and somehow try to compute it, you might agree that on at least one level, Ewan is justified in asserting his right to free expression.
    Recall Harrison Ford during CT. Remember his attitude?? I think there's a fairly well-known quote from him that's way meaner than Ewan's comments. And perhaps, just perhaps, Ewan McGregor wishes that he could adjust and modify his lines the same way Harrison Ford did in the CT.

Well anyway... Ewan has a right to voice his opinions. Though we must be cautious, and aim to seek the most accurate interpretation of reality. Therefore I think it is important to examine unedited transcripts of interviews and disregard any media excerpts or commentary on what he has said. HOWEVER, if indeed Ewan has said some things that sting, it is important to examine what he says very carefully, because more so than any critic or internet-SW-know-it-all *what me worry? ;)*, he is very much worth listening to when it comes to talking Star Wars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.