main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Am I the only one that can't stand Luke?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Onasi, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. son-of-skywalker13

son-of-skywalker13 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 27, 2002
    Luke is my favorite character, although yoda aint far behind. I really dont understand how people can like anakin and not like luke. Anakin whines alot more and actually whines about not being a master until he doesnt trust the jedi, which leads to his turn.

if you were trapped on tatooine and your uncle wouldnt let you leave you would whine too. Anakin gets to be a jedi and he whines more than luke !!!!!!!

2. Wester547

Wester547 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    Luke's original, naieve whiney personality was neccessary to create and establish him; to make room for character development throughout the three CT movies...

I like Luke as a character, because he's compassionate... but I'm not finatic about him by any means.

3. GarthSidious

GarthSidious Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2005
    ^yes

luke is a great character, the best developed character of all 6 movies. he is annoying in the beginning. you are supposed to think is this loser gonna be the hero? then we see how he changes. he learns some from obi-wan. obi-wan's death changes him a little. he is still naive and inexperienced and kind of annoying in esb, like when yoda is training him and he tries to lift the x-wing. "you ask the impossible" but he faces vader and is overmatched but is strong not to go to the dark side. that fight changes him a lot and he collects him self and assumes the title of jedi knight. by the end of rotj he almost seems wise as a jedi master.

4. Aeneas_Falco

Aeneas_Falco Jedi Youngling star 2

May 19, 2005
    I agree with you totally. Certainly the character of Anakin is even more whiny than ANH Luke, so it doesn't make sense to me why some should hate Luke for being whiny, but not Anakin.

5. JediStarKiller

JediStarKiller Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2005
    Are you the only one that can't stand Luke?

The answer: YES

Get a life whiny fanboy.

6. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Right, StarKiller is.

7. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    He's a bit annoying at times, but who isn't? The only jedi who didn't get screwed over by Sidious. Got to respect that.

8. BobaFett22

BobaFett22 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2005
    Luke rocked. He had barely started his training and survives a duel with Vader in TESB, and by the time ROTJ comes around he's wise, fearless and does exactly what he has to do.

PS: He was the hero of the OT. How can you hate on him!

9. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    You might not be the ONLY once who can't stand Luke, but the fact that you do proves that your taste is lacking.

10. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    Luke is very likeable IMO.
    He's whiny and somewhat annoying at first b/c he's meant
    to be. It's to show that he's somewhat like his father
    as a young man. By Jedi we see the mature and in control Luke,
    a state Ani never reached.

11. Onasi

Onasi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 16, 2003
  12. Onasi

Onasi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 16, 2003
    shut up loser. youre a june '05er so you should shut up.

13. Lynch69

Lynch69 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2005
    I counter most annoying with anything Jar jar says or does, and 3PO in 1 and 2.

14. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

15. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Luke Skywalker is my favorite character throughout the entire saga. He has that innocence about him that you can not dislike. I think some people that don't like him are comparing him to the PT Jedi, and that's not fair. Even in the OT, Luke did more heroic deeds than most of the those Jedi from the PT did in three episodes.

Plus he's the son of the Chosen One, which makes him as equally powerful as Anakin. What's not to like about him?

16. PadmesDaughter

PadmesDaughter Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    I love Luke, I love him when he's whiny and I love the Toshi Station line.

I love that he believes that his father is still good, against all available evidence and the testinony of the two who once knew him best.

I love that he's he only human in the entire trilogy who is nice to Threepio, except maybe the young Anakin.

I love that his stubborn goodness guilt trips Han into coming back.

I love that when faced with the truth of his parentage for the first time, when he's hanging there, maimed and beaten, being asked to join the dark side, he chooses to let go and fall into the abyss.

17. CorellianScoundrel

CorellianScoundrel Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2005
    *whacks Onasi with... sorry wrong thread* [face_blush]

I don't hate Luke, but without him where would the whole SW story be. After all he was the last Jedi.

18. Jandekian_Overlord

Jandekian_Overlord Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2005
    "Han Solo is a character people love, but I don't really care for all that much...."

My sentiments exactly. He reminds me of a vast majority of today's narcissistic, self-absorbed society. Not to say that, much like Luke, he doesn't mature as the story progresses, however.

19. Alanikan

Alanikan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2005
    I'm a May 05er but that does not make me (or Onasi, or anyone else who registered in 05) any less knowledge-able in the Star Wars Universe.

I'm 31 years old and have been a fan since 3.5 years of age. Registering here a month ago does not negate that.

20. hunter_ofthe_myst_ra

hunter_ofthe_myst_ra Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 23, 2003
    he used to really bug me, but as I got older I realized he's an important character.

21. son-of-skywalker13

son-of-skywalker13 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 27, 2002
    Padmes Daughter you said it perfectly. It is revealed to Luke that Obi Wan lied to him all along, that his father is still alive and wants his help, all the while knowing that if he doesnt join his father he will die. and he chooses death because he knows that he doesnt want to be his father. i love luke.

22. Aeneas_Falco

Aeneas_Falco Jedi Youngling star 2

May 19, 2005
    Amen.

Plenty of people (including myself) grew up with Old Trilogy and have been diehard fans for nearly 3 decades, but only registered here recently. The date of registration has nothing to do with either intelligence, knowledge of the Star Wars Universe, or the level of fan devotion.

Some people just had busy lives before that prevented them from horseing around on internet fora.

23. STUBRIS

STUBRIS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    I love Luke! He is the only SW hero that any of us could possibly hope to be.Han is unimaginably cool, Obi-Wan is saintly wise, Anakin a superhuman nut-job & Leia/Padme are Royalty.If you forget the force heritage, Luke is a totally unspectacular young man who is given a shot at greatness & with a little help from his friends & a lot of courage succeeds! His character arc over the 3 films is lovely to watch...ANH=Naive, Victorious TESB=Cocky, Beaten ROTJ=Calm, Jedi.

Viva Luke =D=

24. jedivik

jedivik Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2005
    Luke rocks. I'll admit though. When I first watched Star Wars, I thought Luke was really whiny at first too. That was until Anakin came along. Now, after having seen all the movies, I find Luke to be one of the most compelling characters. His faith in good in general and the good in his father is absolutely compelling. Luke's father was not only never around for Luke, but he was also evil and responsible for the death of millions, and he chopped off his son's hand. Yet, Luke still believes there's good in his father and sets out to turn him back to good. Even Anakin/Vader's master, Obi-Wan had lost hope, yet Luke hadn't. I find it very inspiring to see such a level of idealism and optimism in someone.

25. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Right, Boga lives! :D

And it is truely sad that you dislike Luke, Onasi. He really went to some changes that made him mature und Mark played that rather brilliant.

*Whacks you "hello" anyway, but harder than ever for not liking Luke!*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.