main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Am I the only one that likes TFU

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Darth Invictus, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    A dark side ending would have most definitely been non-Canon unless of course they pulled a curveball and had light side Marek prevail and Vader going on trial-some alternate timeline happy ending like that. Which would obviously be non-Canon.

And are we sure when TFUII takes place? I've said months but I heard and read others say a year or even two before ANH?

2. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I'm not certain on the when. But there certainly would've been a non-canon dark side ending just like I and II got.

3. fastcooljosh

fastcooljosh Jedi Master star 2

Mar 15, 2017
    I remember when I played TFU on my brand-new PS3 for the first time
    Those graphics were the **** back in 2008. ^:)^

But I heard the PS2 version was a lot better and hat much more content.

4. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    I had a Game Pass at the time, so I blew through both of the TFU games on either my PS3 or XBOX360. I remember enjoying them, but the Game Pass I had from about 2004 to 2010 meant I'd swap them out as soon as I finished them the first time. So it's all a blur. The Star Destroyer thing was a bit much.

Didn't know the PS2 had more content.

5. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Yeah from what I remember there was a level in the PS2 version where you went to the Jedi Temple and there was a level where you fought a Mandalorian Bounty Hunter (not Boba Fett) on Cloud City. I can't remember any of the story behind them but they're completely absent from the 360/PS3 version.

6. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    The PSP version was pretty good.

7. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    loved the games but didn't like how over powered galen was

8. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    TFU was amazing. Last great SW game imo, especially in terms of single-player. (Not counting Lego) Love the Emperor being responsible for the Alliance's creation. Thought it was really cool that the Rebel Alliance insignia was Galen's crest. A great canon game at the time.

TFU II was never canon, even in the old EU as far I am concerned. Cloning Starkiller was stupid beyond belief. I did enjoy it for what it was, but it really should've ended with the first game.

9. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Despite never caring for the story, gameplay wise I enjoyed the first one well enough. The second one I still liked the gameplay but the story was worst and it was even shorter then the first game (which wasn't a terribly long game in itself).

10. Isley_27

Isley_27 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2016
    Darth Invictus No sir you are not alone, I enjoyed both TFU games. Though the second game was a tad bit short in my opinion, I'll still play them any chance I get! Too bad they scraped any further projects, I do like son_of_skywalker03 's idea. The Evil Clone DLC in the second game wasn't enough, a third TFU game may have pitted the clones together like mentioned with Sidious taking control of Malek's cloning process . Light side ending, both clones are destroyed as well as any other further attempts to clone Malek and the rebellion flourishes with Vader still under arrest. Dark side ending, good clone kills evil clone but at the cost of him retuning to the dark side and the process continues.

11. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I'm very split when it comes to TFU.

The good.
    -I like some of the characters. Rahm Kota is awesome, and Proxy may very well be my favorite droid in SW.
    -The gameplay is extremely fun. Moments when you face a whole squad of Stormtroopers are just too good.
    -The visuals! The designs are great. Everything looks faithful to the OT, but without the limitations of them. From Raxus Prime to the TIE Factory, or from Felucians to EVO Troopers, everything looks pretty and thought-out.

The bad.
    -The boss fights often suck. There's a few exceptions, but generally the boss fights are awful and repetitive.
    -Remember when I said some of the characters were great? I can't say the same for the rest. Juno had plenty of potential, but came across as flat and uninteresting. I would talk about Galen, but there is quite literally nothing to say about him. He has practically no character.
    -The story is a bit contrived and more often plain stupid. The whole "Lets distract Palpatine through this ridiculous plot" was kind of insane. Personally I don't care that Starkiller is "OP". It's just gameplay, so you really don't have to take it literally. But still, the story is not very good, IMO.
    -The Star Destroyer boss fight. Just that.

In general I do enjoy the game, and besides the boss fight, it's a lot of fun. But when it comes to a strictly in-universe story standpoint, it's not worth much thought.

12. Isley_27

Isley_27 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2016
    I love how I called Galen's last name "Malek" instead of Marek..totally different person from another game.

13. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I was so excited for TFU pre-release, it was one of the few games I got on launch day. It was massively disappointing with an eight hour campaign, little replayability, and glitchy/boring/frustrating gameplay. It was such a step back from the Star Wars games that came before, making Empire at War the last truly decent Star Wars game. I prefer the novelization than the actual game, I mean the cutscenes are nice I guess and I liked the voice acting. Sam Witwer is great, this game was not. The second game was more polished but somehow still ends up being even less of a game than the first one!

14. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    You pretty much summed up my feelings perfectly.

15. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    What does everyone think of the ultimate dark side DLC? Luke becoming Starkiller's apprentice?

16. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I never played the DLC for TFU 1. The endor DLC for TFU 2 was quite fun though. Unfortunately like the main game it ended just as the story started getting good. It teased Starkiller facing off against all of Palpatine's fleet but we never actually got to see or play it.

17. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    I really liked the dark side missions. It was pretty interesting to see another AU story. Unfortunately there was no ending, while just one or two more missions could've wrapped it up. Honestly with how short the game was a full dark side campaign should've been in the main game. But yeah, I thought it was really cool. Messing up the good guys wasn't really fun for me though.

18. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Apart from Starkiller beating Obi Wan's ghost(Force spirits in legends canon even don't engage in combat) I enjoyed it a lot.

I liked how your basically a more mobile Vader. Also it's somewhat tragic when you think about it-Dark Marek in the DLC is told in no uncertain terms he is a placeholder and will be disposed of once Palpatine finds another apprentice(quite possibly Luke or Leia).

Someone needs to write a full fanfic continuing that AU story.

19. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    But then Starkiller steals said apprentice and presumably uses him against Palpatine. Funny.

20. Mizore

Mizore Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 5, 2013
    I did like TFU and its second part. The good thing is to handle a Force sensitive that is innately very powerful. The bad thing is the poor plot and the developers have not been inspired by the lightsaber combat system from Jedi Academy
    and lack adventure elements like puzzles, platforms, inventory.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  21. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Puzzles and inventories make sense in KOTOR given the story of ancient civilizations, amnesia, and doom. Starkiller's job is basically to assassinate targets on Vader's command and pile drive his way through anybody that gets in his way which the game shows effectively.

22. Fandalorian

Fandalorian Jedi Master star 3

Apr 18, 2015
    I still play the original on a semi regular basis. For me it's right up there with Battlefront 2 and Republic Commando as the best
    Star Wars games. And Lord Starkiller is in my top five favorite Sith designs, maybe even number one!.

[​IMG]

23. Mizore

Mizore Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 5, 2013

Puzzles make sense for a assassin game as obstacles to reaching your target, other than just killing. And inventory makes sense to store armors, grapple hook, lightsabers, firearms and medikits.

24. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I often compare TFU to the Forces of Corruption expansion for Empire at War. Could it be a bit silly and over the top at times? Yes. Was it fun as hell? YES! I had the Wii version, so the graphics were terrible, but there were two good things about it: waving around my arms to feel like a kid playing Jedi again, and the fact that the much maligned Star Destroyer level was just a cut scene. I never played the second one, I was a bit put off that it seemed to take place almost entirely on Kamino.

I think what makes some people disregard it is that the over-the-top Force Powers feel out of place compared to how they're portrayed in the rest of the franchise (kind of like how some people treat Mace Windu leaping miles in the air in the original Clone Wars cartoon). But if you just chalk that up to artistic license, and ignore the weird Retconned origins of the Rebel Alliance, it fits fine in Star Wars. The story isn't going to win any writing awards, but there's nothing wrong with it either.

Also, I love the aesthetic. Felucia, the rancors, Kota, PROXY, and the stormtrooper variants that really make it feel like the mid point between the PT era and OT era.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  25. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Jedi Academy was def my fave SW game all-time. Literally every single duel was what you made it, and every play-through was never the same. Why can't they make another version of that game!!