main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Am I the only one that loved Attack of the Clones?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by EternalStutter, Jan 15, 2015.

1. EternalStutter

EternalStutter Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2015
    All around the internet, even in this forum, AOTC seems to be the most hated of the Star Wars films (which is strange, since it used to be Phantom)

But I cant be the only one who absolutely LOVES this movie right? I find myself going back to this movie far more often then Phantom or Sith. Am I crazy? Am I alone?

Where my AOTC fans at?!

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Cushy is one! :D Bah, internet fandom is skewed. AotC is the best of the PT and second in the saga for me. Dooku is soooo awesome! [face_love]

3. EternalStutter

Jan 5, 2015
    I found another!

I just love how different it feels when compared to other Star Wars films.

4. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i like it, but of the 3 prequels it's the only one that i find flaws in.

CoolyFett and Andy Wylde like this.
  5. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    You're not alone. AOTC is great!

6. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Great film! AOTC is the most experimental of the six. You got to give GL credit for breaking the mold and trying out new ideas. It's a mixture of a Gone With the Wind/ Romeo and Juliet romance between two people inexperienced at showing their true feelings due to their careers meets a 40's film noir mystery picture of Obi Wan exploring the mystery of the secret Clone Army.

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Just because AOTC isn't as popular as ESB seems to be nowadays doesn't mean that AOTC doesn't have its fans. It does.
    It's not my most favorite SW movie but it has its good points.

8. PapiNacho

PapiNacho Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2015
    The first time I saw it I liked it more than TPM. Now, I'm not sure were I would rate. The Yoda lightsaber reveal was amazing, the battle was amazing and Obi-Wan was amazing on it. I thought Anakin succumbed to quickly to the dark side thought (Sandpeople slaughter). He should have remained the hero for at least one movie to make the audience believe that he could have saved himself. The Anakin/Padme thing was also badly done.Windu and Jango Fett were pretty great.

9. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    @ Billy_Dee_Binks Interesting perception. Though I don't share it, I like it. :)

10. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

JMO, but...

AOTC is Star Wars on acid.

Absolutely been enjoying it all over again these past few days. It started when I put on the original PAL/Region 2 DVD the other night and watched it with the audio commentary. Then I found an HD Spanish version on YouTube ("Ataque Dos Clones") and downloaded that (with the Blu-ray colour cast). Fun!!!

It's such a visually magnificent movie. The production design and the art direction are really something else. Padme's dresses, the varied locales, the cinematography -- it's all so darn lush and wondrous.

The mashing-up of genres and tones is really cool in Clones as well. I've never appreciated the romance being intertwined with Obi-Wan's investigation on Kamino more than when I just started watching the movie again this past week. Brilliantly expressive intercutting. And the design of Kamino and the Kaminoans is too surreal to appear anywhere but here. I love the whole bright-light sensibility and these creatures being close to classic 1950s/"nightmare" (abduction-hallucination) aliens. Adds potently to the weirdness of Clones and the underlying sense of paranoia the narrative presents. There is a percolating notion that these aliens live on light and see and feel its properties far beyond the perception (sensual and intellectual) of human beings. It's quite something, the strangeness of this movie!

And, oh, put the commentary on, for heaven's sake. It's damn good! I love how Lucas jumps in during the "emergency powers" speech and describes the remainder of the film as journeying into the dragon's cave. Geonosis is full-tilt action-symbolism........ Threepio getting beheaded, Threepio being marched into battle, Threepio falling down, Threepio being "fixed" by Artoo. All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty together again, but Artoo could! Sorry, but the last 45 minutes are insane, and Lucas very "aggressively negotiates" his sprawling themes through crazy non-stop action vignetting! One of many design aspects that makes Clones stranger and wilder than the rest. Is it too outrageous for its own good? Almost. Almost but never quite. There's something compulsive about the whole thing. (Maybe it's good for people with OCD. Or bad! Very, very bad!!!).

Finally, while I've said it before, I truly feel that there is never more of a journey being depicted in Star Wars than in AOTC. The picture has stupendously loud passages and wonderfully quiet interludes. It has an unusual oscillation, a strange torque. Just look at that brief scene with Watto, wedged in between conspiracy and murder. The whole ambiance of the picture really sucks me in. I do go back and forth on which prequel movie is my favourite, or which I would choose if you put a gun to my head, but right now, my love of Clones is sky-high -- I'd pick it as my favourite prequel, and my favourite Star Wars movie, period, in less than a heartbeat!

And I really think Clones could be Lucas' boldest work.

11. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    This

It's my least favored of the prequels but I do enjoy some of it as I did like the action in it. I did't like the romance nor do I care for Anakins portrayal as much in this IMO.

12. EternalStutter

Jan 5, 2015
    Damn

13. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Maybe I'm stranger than the movie. :p

14. EternalStutter

Jan 5, 2015
    No, you nailed it

Death Wizard likes this.
  15. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

Thanks! But barely!

AOTC is such a wild ride. There are so many angles.

thejeditraitor and Andy Wylde like this.
  16. EternalStutter

Jan 5, 2015
    Its definately one of Lucas' most ambitious films.

17. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Visually the most stunning of the entire saga for me. The glory of Coruscant, the lush green of Naboo (how could anyone not fall in love hiding out in that lakehouse??), the worn down waste of Tatooine. Across The Stars remains my favourite peice from the saga as well.

18. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    All this quoting makes the thread pretty much unreadable for me, but yes, there are tons of us who adore AOTC. I don't think I need to add anything to what's been said already :)

19. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

I could easily enjoy this movie just for Naboo -- STUNNING!!!

Sorry about that. :p

20. EternalStutter

Jan 5, 2015
    Yeah, Sorry.

21. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I think the battle of Geonosis is the standout moment for me. The clone only just save the jedi, then this is followed by the most gritty and realistic looking battle in the saga. The handheld style camera moves, the realistic looking clone troopers, the urgency everyone has to end the war quickly. It's breathtaking.

Then five minutes after it ends we see that Sidious and Tyranus have been manipulating the whole thing. The whole battle was a meticulous sham. The protagonists never find this out. This is why the battle is incredible

22. Tackelberry

Tackelberry Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2014
    I love all Star Wars.

23. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Cryogenic likes this.
  24. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
  25. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    I was actually just watching AOTC, and while it's not my favorite SW film, it does have a few things that are quite great. One thing that stood out while watching it is in the Outlander Club when Zam is approaching Obi-Wan with the blaster. Just the way the whole thing was done... the music, the slightly muted voices and sounds... the way it is meant to seem like she is sneaking up on Anakin rather than Obi-Wan, and then the reveal that it's actually Obi-Wan who's seemingly about to be shot. I love that. It feels so much like something out of a '70s crime or detective film.