main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Am I the only one that thinks the PT shouldn't be as good as the OT?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Pooja, Jun 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    "I think the one sad fact is that while the OT appealed to the broad public, the PT only appeals to the core fans. Of the people I know who saw AOTC, everyone who is a Star Wars 'fan' loved it. People who aren't big 'fans' hated it."

I've found the opposite to be the case. Nearly everyone who hates the prequels seems to be a Star Wars fan (or at least claims to be). However, all the non-fans I've talked to enoyed TPM and AOTC (even if they didn't love them). I think some fans are much harder on these films than the general public, who just sit back and enjoy them.

2. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I should clarify...it seems to me that everyone who is open-minded about the PT seems to have loved AOTC, moreso than TPM. People who are just casual moviegoers, and not invested in the Star Wars saga, seem to not like AOTC at all. Many of these people liked Star Wars when they were young, and think the new ones suck.

It is just curious that so many people I know didn't just dislike AOTC, they HATED it. They say Christenson sucked, etc. I think those people went in expecting to hate it and found a way to do so.

As far as PT vs OT, which is better, I choose not to split them out and say which is better. I choose to just view them as one big story. Each makes the other better. After watching the OT after seeing AOTC, it is almost like watching it over for the first time. Seeing Darth Vader now, it is totally different than seeing him before AOTC. He now has a face and a history, which makes it that much better. Every word of dialogue has new depth and meaning to it.

3. Luke_Clone

Luke_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Here here! :)

"people who are just casual moviegoers, and not invested in the Star Wars saga, seem to not like AOTC at all."

Actually, that is odd as I know a lot of people who really liked AOTC who are not big Star Wars fans. I mean, they went to the midnight show, but they never talk about Star Wars at school... ever. (Quite a few of my friends on the football team saw it and loved it ;) ) You should have heard the buzz around my school on thursday (maybe it was just me as I only had 3 hours of sleep that night ;) ) but it was all very positive. Yoda this... Yoda that.

4. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    It is odd. Some Star Wars fans love the prequels. Some hate them. Some regular moviegoers think the prequels are better than the original trilogy, some don't. It just shows that you can never tell.

Lucas shouldn't be blamed for making prequels that have a mixed reception. I actually think it's a good sign that most people fall into the love it or hate it catgeory. If the majority of people thought the prequels were just "average" that would probably mean they would be forgotten years from now.

5. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    If the majority of people thought the prequels were just "average" that would probably mean they would be forgotten years from now.

Good point. I know I won't forget them though. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.