main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Am I the only one who didn't care that much for Han?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by newwillorder, Nov 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newwillorder

newwillorder Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 29, 2004
    I don't hate the guy. I thought he was an okay character but I was always more of a Luke and now Anakin/Vader fan. I never saw how he attained such high level of popularity.

2. The_Nameless_One

The_Nameless_One Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    He was good in his own way - I like him quite a lot.
    He's not got much depth, but that's not really his purpose.

3. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    I love Han, but he's not the be-all, end-all of SW for me. I don't mind that there's no Han figure in the PT, nor do I mind that the PT isn't about Han Solo, though I recall some journalist claiming that "we" wanted the PT to be about him, not Anakin Skywalker.

Han was designed to be the most contemporary of the characters, the one that audiences could identify with the most readily. Plus, he gets to crack the jokes, to lighten the mood with his cocky, cynical remarks.

Oh, and speaking from a female point of view, it doesn't hurt that Han is f-i-n-e. :D

Also, Harrison Ford became a huge movie star in his own right, so I think that has something to do with it too. I've met more than a few people who claim to be SW fans but are really just Han fans -- or not even Han fans, exactly; they're Harrison Ford fans, and the OT are just three of his movies to them.

4. thecleric007

thecleric007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2003
    I think the big allure to Han is that he's an alternative to Luke. For those of us who aren't huge fans of the Jedi in general, this is great. He's also rather amusing too.

I've always been a Leia fan, personally, and if you like Leia than a lot of the time you like Han by extension, because so much of each character is invested in the other.

Basically he's a fun character, not the most depth ever but he makes up for it by being entertaining.

The Cleric 007

5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I've always been a huge Han fan. Mostly because he's the only "real" character out of the bunch. He's the only one without the Force, and yet he can do just about everything the other heroes can - if not better. He proves you don't need magical powers to accomplish something in life and I like that quality about him. Not to mention he's funny, he's got the cool clothes and he's damn sexy. :D :p

But like Shelley, he's not the only reason why I love Star Wars so much. He's a major factor, but not the whole story.

6. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    // raises hand

I rarely find him amusing, and his presence in the story led to what could have been a great Luke-Leia romance that had to get pushed by the wayside and retconned away.

Easily my least favorite of the major characters.

Rick McCallum loves you!

7. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Yes, you are.

Han and Luke are a great team. Luke's the idealist, and Han's the realist.

The only person I never really cared for in the SW films is Leia. She's kinda boring.

8. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
  9. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    She needs to be rescued a lot. The only time she rescues anyone is when she uses a disguise.

Well, okay, she did rescue Luke, but that was only after Luke called her.

10. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
    Han and Luke used a disguise to rescuse her ;)

11. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    ^Well, yeah, but Leia didn't even know she was going to be rescued.

Meanwhile, on Bespin, Leia makes no attempt to help Luke out until Luke calls her though the Force.

12. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
    I'm not sure that Han was expecting to be rescued either when she showed up at Jabba's palace ;)

And why should she have to help Luke? He didn't exactly seem too concerned with rescuing her on Cloud City ;)

13. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Han is a nice foil to Luke, and I appreciate him as such. I was always more of a Skywalker fan myself, but I enjoyed the scoundrel nonetheless. I think part of why some people overlook him is because he doesn't have any massive, visual changes. Sure, he goes from hardened smuggler to Alliance fighter, who winds up getting the girl, but one gets the feeling that alot of those caring emotions were there to begin with, just deeply buried. He's still a very fun character in his own life. I do appreciate the "age" he brings to the cast. With a character as young and enthusiastic as Luke, you need an older, more cynical male model to play off of him. :) Not to mention that Han helps brings a "real" edge to the cast. So many of the characters are Force sensitive or have some sort of special rank that Han helps to remind us that even normal people can have significant impact on the events around us.

Oh, and yeah, it helps that most of the SW men are fine looking boys. ;)

She needs to be rescued a lot. The only time she rescues anyone is when she uses a disguise.

Well, okay, she did rescue Luke, but that was only after Luke called her.

I don't know what you saw, but I'd say Leia had quite a hand in her own rescue in ANH. Sure, the boys started it, but she was really the level-headed one that helped finish it. And she was fairly tough-as-nails at Bespin and Endor, too. Most of the time when Leia doesn't fight, it's because she knows she's outnumbered and it would be futile to resist...but even that doesn't stop her sometimes. Technically, Leia is supposed to be Lucas playing around with the damsel in distress role. Sure, Leia is in distress alot...but she's usually kicking as much butt as the boys once the action gets going.

14. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    Yeah, cause I love the exchanges he and Threepio have throughout the saga. They're all classic (the "Professor" one is the best).

And "I know." is an all-timer.

15. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    Leia almost gets the heroes killed when she tells them to go into the trash compactor. It's up to Luke and the droids to save them.

Luke was chasing Leia in Bespin, but he got sidetracked into the Carbon freezing chamber when the doors kept closing.

16. Jedimancer

Jedimancer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 16, 2004
    I do like Han a lot as a character and I do think he was an integral part of the OT's success, but I, too, am more of a Skywalker fan, and I'll agree that it sometimes appear that there's people who aren't so much SW fans as they are Han fans.

17. Rogue9-Horn

Rogue9-Horn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Face it, You're the ONLY people who didn't like Han Solo, he rocked! He made the movies what they were, can you imagine a ESB without Han & Leia's adventures through the asteroid field? Or the cut-the-tauntaun-open-to-save-Luke determination that Han showeD?
    Sorry, but face it, He made the movies what they were, and personally, I KNOW they wouldn't have been as good as they were had he been deleted, or even changed!
    FACE IT HAN RULES JAR JAR DRULES!!!
    ~Rogue~

18. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Or the cut-the-tauntaun-open-to-save-Luke determination that Han showeD?

I gotta ask, because this genuinely intrigues me.

Of EVERYTHING Han does throughout the trilogy -- helping win battles, fighting off stormtroopers, even acting as one of the most key figures in the Rebellion --

-- you picked cutting open the tauntaun? :p

Rick McCallum loves you!

19. Dagobah-jay

Dagobah-jay Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2003
    well my favorite was always Ben Kenobi. But I am one who thinks that Han really IS lacking from the PT. Someone with a sense of adult humor.

10 sweet Han solo lines...

hurry up goldenrod or your gonna be a permanent resident.

chewie, plug the proffessor into the the hyperdrive

its not my fault. its not my fault.

yahoo, your all clear kid.

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

where did u dig up that old fossil.

whos scruffy lookin?

great kid, now dont get cocky.

how we doin? (same as usual)that bad huh?

I prefer a straight fight to all this sneaking
    around.

10 is my signature.

20. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    He used to be the funniest character, but PT Obi Wan 'outdid' him imo

I remember truly disliking him the first time i saw the trilogy, i was young and didn't pick up on the 'brother/sister' thing at all so i despised him & Leia for a very long time for 'leaving' Luke to fight Vader alone and 'going behind his back'

I appreciate him ALOT more now, he's us ya know? After 3 episodes of 'hoky ancient religions' we finally get a character who not only mocks the force (as Jar Jar did) but he proves to us he doesn't really need it.

He's the only true 'buddy'-like character we've seen, the Jedi are all close and friendly but they're supposed to be, at the end of the day they're like collegues. Han is just a true friend without all of the excess bagage of wether it's his duty or not.

With that said, he's not my favorite character; not by a longshot. He doesn't 'intrigue' me nearly as much as the Skywalkers but he's not supposed to, he's just along for the ride.

And i thank GL for it everytime i watch the OT, cause Han IS an incredibly entertaining character.

21. Tatooine_Fireman

Tatooine_Fireman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2003
    It appears you are not the only one, newwillorder.
    I never had much with Han either. To me, Han was always the one getting in between Luke and Leia's ideals. That changed a little in ROTJ, though I think he's not behaving very smart in that movie.

22. ___Sithspawn___

___Sithspawn___ Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 17, 2004
    Same here. While I like him a lot, I wouldn't call him my favorite character. Of course, he is an integral part of SW --the smart-ass, cynical pirate, so he is up there, though he is one of the overrated characters, like Boba Fett and so on.

23. majin_yami

majin_yami Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 14, 2004
    I don't mind Han, I just don't like him very much either. In ESB he was great but in ANH he was too arrogant and in ROTJ he was just bland. I like him in the Jedi Academy books though. He's my favourite character behind Kyp.

24. Lord-Vegas

Lord-Vegas Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2003
    I think part of Han's involvement in the films shows how a rogue/scoundril/smuggler with a shrouded past can still be a good guy and help save the day.

25. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    As a kid I was strictly Luke Skywalker all the way. It wasnt until I got older that I noticed the teddybears and MaxReebo- and along with that I noticed that Han was a great character. I guess I had grew into identifying with him. Han is a very important part of STAR WARS and he has an entire story of his own running along side Luke. Hans dealings with Jabba are far more detailed then just a sub-plot. It actually stands strong on its own.

Han has been my favorite for a while now in my adulthood. He was threatend by, would you believe, Qui Gon Jinn. Neesons Jinn was so incredibly powerful that he became my favorite character since Solo. I feel that the character is totally useless to the story and presented in a less then great film- Yet he rocks regardless of ANYTHING. His demeanor, mannerisms, way of talking, and baseball bat style of dueling. Jinn is the mofu'n man. Now that iv been watching the OT and most of the STAR WARS publics focus is on Anakin- Im starting to appreciate the hero again in Luke and im now falling back to my childhood favorite through re-observasion.

In the end it will be Obiwan Kenobi. But I DO care much for Han. Hes an essential part to the saga. A very human part with growth and transition. strange thing is, the more I look at Chewbacca the more ridiculous he looks. The entire character, the whole idea of him. I just recently noticed this while watching ROTJ. It was obvious he had a fur head on and I couldnt suspend my disbelief. He now looks out of place when I see him with the humans. ROTS will probably refit him into my mind with better costumes and make-up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.