main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Am I the ONLY one who feels the SW Trilogy is better than the SW Saga?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Brody, Mar 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    No Brody, you're not the only one at all.
    I utterly disagree with your view, but that's just me.

2. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    Brody, I agree with your assessment. Yoda's surprise introduction is spoiled by the PT. So is Vader being Luke's father. Han flying through the asteroids is spoiled by Obi-wan doing the same in AOTC. Etc.

While the jury is still out (of course) on E3, the OT is definitely not helped by the PT thus far.

3. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Quite a few of those things would have been changed by the PT no matter how it was done, however.

I do feel the entire Saga is better than either one of the seperate trilogies. Of course, since Episode III isn't out yet, it's not really proper to compare the two as complete pieces.

4. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    No, you're not the only one.

I, however, feel that the saga is greater than the sum of its parts and that the PT enriches the OT.

5. mixza

mixza Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2004
    Yoda's surprise introduction is spoiled by the PT. So is Vader being Luke's father. Han flying through the asteroids is spoiled by Obi-wan doing the same in AOTC. Etc.

I disagree. Most people, (myself not included, unfortunatly) saw the OT long before the PT. So how could the PT have ruined those scenes? It already happened... well, actually I guess I can kinda see your point about the asteriods, but not about Yoda. I mean, Ben told Luke that Yoda was a Jedi and had trained him. Yoda had to be there, otherwise it would look silly: some Jedi no one even heasd of or saw suddenly appears in the OT out of no where claiming to have trained Obi.

Plus, how is Vader being Luke's dad ruined by the PT? Luke doesn't even exist yet in the PT.

6. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    He means if you were to watch the saga for the first time those scenes would be ruined.

7. ig-812

ig-812 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2004
    before episode 1, i thought the pt would blend in better with the ot. now it seems more of a seperate trilogy. i'm not saying i don't like the pt, i just see it more as two trilogy's rather than a saga.

8. Hood_wink

Hood_wink Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 24, 2003
    The big difference I am seeing is at the time when the OT came out, each episode stood on it's own and people loved each for what they were ( even ROTJ with it's faults ).

But the defining phrase of PT is "I'll wait till EP3 to make a judgment".

Instead of just wanting more after each episode of the OT, after each episode of PT people only seem to want more only so it'll make sense.

9. sidious_onset

sidious_onset Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 27, 2003
    The only SW film I don't love is AOTC. I just saw TPM again the other day and I still think it's great. It's my second favorite of the series. I like to think of SW as a saga and not just a trilogy with three movies tagged on 16 years later that ruined everything.

10. Luke_SW

Luke_SW Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2003
    wow "Kiltak"
    you hit the nail right on the head in my opinion
    I've never read a post that was so close to my own feelings and thoughts about the PT
    well done :)

11. DarthToeJam

DarthToeJam Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    Funny, I had a conversation with my older brother last weekend about how he thought Star Wars was so much better before the whole "I'm your father" business in Empire Strikes Back. To him, the Star Wars movie (ANH) is far better than the Star Wars trilogy. "I hate that everyone's related to each other!"

To each his own.

12. mixza

Jan 28, 2004
    He means if you were to watch the saga for the first time those scenes would be ruined.

Yes, I know. But except for the scene with Obi-Wan in the asteriods (got a point there; they shouldn't have done that), I don't believe the scenes were ruined, and if they are, it's nessessary for the story to make sense. Yoda HAS to be there. Luke HAS to be born.

13. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Yeah, DarthToeJam, several people I know hated Vader being Luke's father as well. They felt it was a soap-opera cliche'. I knew a few guys who hated that so much they didn't even go to ROTJ and have basicially ignored SW since 1980.

One person's treasure is another person's trash, I guess.

14. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I don't believe the scenes were ruined, and if they are, it's nessessary for the story to make sense. Yoda HAS to be there. Luke HAS to be born.

I think you still missed the point of his post. He was referring to Luke's first meeting with Yoda. Yoda came across as a funny, senile old creature without any hint of him being the Jedi Master Obi-Wan told Luke about on Hoth.

Now, with the PT, we now know that the little senile creature is Yoda right from the very beginning. It takes away the fun, suprise and mystery that the scene previously had.

15. BlueTrooper

BlueTrooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2004
    My personal view.

The OT is a helluva a lot better than the PT. It had characters we cared about, witty humor, catchy lines, an interesting plot, and a fair balance of story and special effects. The prequels lost all of that.

16. mixza

Jan 28, 2004
    Now, with the PT, we now know that the little senile creature is Yoda right from the very beginning. It takes away the fun, suprise and mystery that the scene previously had.

Well, how do you think they should have made Yoda? A fruitcake Jedi master?

Actually, that would have been pretty cool... :)

17. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
  18. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Well, how do you think they should have made Yoda? A fruitcake Jedi master?

I said nothing like that. And I never suggested that they change Yoda. I was just pointing out what the scene originally conveyed. At the time, no one would have thought that this funny creature was actually the Jedi Master. Now, we know from the start that this is Yoda.

19. Lukes_Lightsaber

Lukes_Lightsaber Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    How is the intro of Yoda spoiled? It is more of a surprise to see how he ends up on some bog world.

20. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    How is the intro of Yoda spoiled? It is more of a surprise to see how he ends up on some bog world.

I explained it in one of my above posts. But I'll go more in-depth:

When people first saw ESB before the PT was made, we had no clue on Yoda's appearance and what he was about. Our first mention of him is through Obi-Wan's words to Luke on Hoth. Now, fast forward to Luke landing on Dagobah and discovering this strange, funny looking creature. Would you have believed that this was the powerful Jedi Master Obi-Wan was talking about? Many were surprised to find out that this was indeed Yoda.

This notion of surprise is now lost with the creation of the PT. We now have a backstory to Yoda, what he looks like and we know his personality before we even come to him on Dagobah.

21. Ninja_Gayden

Ninja_Gayden Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2004
    Based on the last two movie TPM & AOTC, yes I think that the OT will lose a lot of it's mystique once Epi 3 comes out but maybe Episode 3 will change my outlook on things althought I doubt it!!

22. BigMackDaddy

BigMackDaddy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 6, 2003
    My absolute favorite time in the SW saga is the KOTOR era. Or even longer in the past.

The republic was at it's gretest, the jedi were powerful, and the Sith were ever threatening.

I find it a little sad that KOTOR, a videogame, has a better story than all the PT, so far.

They should have scrapped the Anakin Skywalker backstory trilogy and went back further to the times of Marka Ragnos and Naga Sadow and the Great Sith war.

23. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    "I had a conversation with my older brother last weekend about how he thought Star Wars was so much better before the whole "I'm your father" business in Empire Strikes Back. To him, the Star Wars movie (ANH) is far better than the Star Wars trilogy."

"several people I know hated Vader being Luke's father as well."

Wow. That's very, very cool. I thought I was the only one who felt that way. I'm glad to hear of such fans! :)

24. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    All of the suprises that everyone here keeps talking about (Yoda's identity, Vader being Luke's father, etc.) are just a one-time deal because once you've seen it, it's no longer a suprise and there's no way you can maintain it after 25 years even if you wanted to nor if the prequals didn't exist.

We know who they are now and the prequals are here to tell their backstory.

25. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    What surprises me when I watch the episodes in order (and pretend it's the first time ;)) is not Yoda, but the planet Dagobah. But that's probably just me.

But what the PT definately improves is the presence of the Emperor in ROTJ:

In the OT, with all due respect, he's just a feeble old man, and you know little about him.

In the Saga, you've already seen his treachery and cunning, and there's a much greater sense of danger when he arrives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.