main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Am I the only one who finds Anakin's death as sad?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darky5K, May 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KennethMorgan

KennethMorgan Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2004
    I found the moment of death itself sad, as in what might have been. All those years that were wasted and how they only truly meet as father and son until Ani's about to die. That makes the Force Ghost scene all the more statisfying.

And I'd have to think that Padme and even Shmi are waiting for him on the other side. After all, since the Force is created by Life itself, then everyone is Force sensitive to one extent or another. It's selfless love that's the key to true immortailty, not some arcane technique. I figure Qui-Gon just taught Yoda and Ben how to open themselves to it, while Ani had the secret from the start, but forgot it until the end.

Well, that's how I see it, anyway...

2. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Honestly, I find the need to shut the PT completely out of my mind when watching the OT. Anakin's character was just done so badly that I just go with whatever was left to our imaginations back in 1983.

3. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I disagree. Anakin in ROTS was pretty good. Not perfect, but better.

The saddest thing about Anakin's death is that he never had his relationship reconciled with Padme.

4. NelanisGhost

NelanisGhost Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 24, 2006
    Don't be too mean to the limbless. We have a LOT of them since the Iraq war started. I'm sure it's not their choice. I really don't understand making fun of the disabled. They didn't want to be disabled, they lived, despite the injuries. It's a hard life.

5. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Uh, yeah, I said nothing of the sort. It's the combination of limbless, burned and that suit of armor (under which he's half-machine). It's really not comparable at all. If anything's sad it's that he was turned into a monster after those injuries, which was just exploitation on Palpatine's part.

It's badly worded at best, not putting the emphasis on the Symbol of Evil he had to live as for 20 years. I certainly did not offend real people who lost their limbs. Or were born without them. Or burn victims, for that matter.

And I'm afraid citing Iraq doesn't have nearly the effect on me you would probably have liked [face_talk_hand]

6. NelanisGhost

NelanisGhost Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 24, 2006
    I didn't want for it to have an effect! It's that I sometimes cringe at the thought of some guy at the VA hospital reading some stuff we say.
    I just find it kinda sad that some people, not you per se, but the general feeling is that invalids may as well get euthanized because they're a burden and such. It must be horrible to be the person and feel that way and have your feelings of worthlessness validated.

I'd feel that way, it doesn't seem like life would be worth living to me anyway, but everyone says that. It's all talk til it actually happens.

I know SW is totally fantasy and it's fun to make fun of Vader, and I do too, all the time. I esp love Robot Chicken and Chad Vader. But we have to recall there are a lot of guys like him. Like Chris Reeve: It's rare but, not unheard of. I totally agree about the vanilla Vader. Stooopid!

WHY CAN'T HE CLONE HIS PARTS? IT'S INFINITIES FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE!!!!!!! *tears at hair* Not even in Inifinites do they have any common sense. They bring back WHOLE Darth Maul, but Vader can't have legs and arms? Whatever...

7. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    *seizes chance to change topic*

Yeah, Infinities was dumb to begin with. Just ugh...this shows how bad the story would've been if all three had been stand-alone movies.

8. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Off topic: The other day as I was walking out of the grocery store, I passed one of my former students, and I had to do a quick double-take because his left arm had been amputated (blown off?) below the elbow. I assumed that he suffered the injury in Iraq, though of course it could have happened here under a number of circumstances (motor vehicle crash, workplace accident, etc.).

On topic: Of course I find Anakin's death poignant and sad. Though not as sad, say, as I do for Yoda (misting up), or Spock (actual tears). I think the reason may be (and I've mentioned this elsewhere) that I was spoiled while waiting in line to watch ROTJ for the first time in 1983. A [non-TOS compliant term] guy yelled that Vader killed the Emperor. So I knew going in that Vader would turn and save Luke, and I wasn't very happy about being spoiled. I think when we watch films again, we often feel emotions similar to our initial viewing experience.

9. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    Yeah. The thing is, because he went on to become a Force Ghost, it was not very sad. Also because I think if he had lived, he would have had a horrible existence. Some say he deserved this, but I didn't think so. After all, what did he get for the 23 years of good service? Nothing.

10. Chico_Jedi

Chico_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2008

Indeed they are. It all depends on the midichlorian count in a person, and every sentient should have some midichlorians. Otherwise they would be "blank" and undetectable in the Force. Something like the Yuuzhan Vong. [face_thinking] But that's just my two cents.

And the universal Force sensitivity manifests itself best in the Star Wars RPG rules - every character starts off with one Force Point.

I agree. His character has improved significantly.
    And so did the acting. :p

Good point. And he was a Hero With No Fear who saved the galaxy on may occasions.
    Well, at least he found peace in the Force in the end. And at least he was redeemed - all of which makes his death really sad.

11. DARTH-SMELLY-FEET

DARTH-SMELLY-FEET Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2007
    I have to say I do, I always feel sorry for Anakin when I watch that scene.

12. Darky5K

Darky5K Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 31, 2008
    What did you make up?

I don't know why, but Johnny Cash's 'Hurt' always seemed to fit the end of Vader's life, as he lay there dying, regretting everything.

13. Dunedain1

Dunedain1 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2003
    It would appear that all those who have led good lives and in effect been on the light side of the force, not just Jedi, live forever. It makes no sense that good people would die, as in cease to be a person, just because they don't happen to have force powers. The thing about the Jedi is that just by being good Jedi, and all that entails, they can be certain of eternal life. As they have fought on the good side all of their lives, and thus deserve the reward they receive.

14. sorokseem

sorokseem Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2008
    Maybe through his years as a Sith he got some idea about how to do it and he nearly failed but he has done enough for Obi-wan and Yoda to help him?

Maybe those Jedis does not think of how to do it because they dont believe it would work or they try but fail while some try but succeeded.

15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Or maybe they've lost their identities and passed into the Force so it's too late.

16. THX_1138biggs

THX_1138biggs Jedi Master star 1

Jul 9, 2007
    It's probably the most poignant moment in the entire saga.

17. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    Nothing much. Just that they are all force ghosts and move on to a new universe as Jedi on a higher realm. New challenges, new start and a chance for everyone to continue evolving - or screw up. LOL. But of course, none of them screw up, they learned...

But if you have a hard time imagining the new universe idea - there is always Jedi Bad Boys...LOVED that! [face_laugh]

18. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Had Lucas opted not to show Anakin's spirit, and left his character's fate open to interpretation...maybe. As it is, the scene does nothing for me. All I can think is: He's the luckiest war criminal in the galaxy!

19. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I found Anakin's death as one of the most heartbreaking in the entire Saga. Just when he finally breaks free of the Dark Side, and fully accepts responsibility for all his wrongs against the galaxy, and his children, and his other loved ones, he loses his life before he can begin to make up for any of it.

He was a monster for over half his life, but he died an anti-hero of sorts to me with killing the most evil man in the galaxy, and saving his son.

20. MasterBantha

MasterBantha Jedi Youngling

Sep 13, 2008
    Sure, it was sad. But in bringing balance to the force, he became one with the force.

21. Maphisto86

Maphisto86 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2005
    Well one could see Anakin's entire life as a tragedy. Indeed that is what George had in mind... a "tragic hero". Also, from a moral point of view, I think the character's demise was the only true way he could redeem himself after more than twenty years of atrocities and cruelty as Darth Vader.

22. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    I actually feel much more bad for padme than i do anakin becouse we never know what happens to her after she dies:_| and i would love to think that she somehow (in the afterlife) finds out how her son saved her father by bringing out the good in him that only she and luke believed in so she could R.I.P. @};-

Anakin was shown standing there next to his masters happy and complete but we never find out if padme is complete:_| i think she somehow is though.

23. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I think one can argue either side on that one given how little we know about the afterlife in Star Wars. Until RotS, it was commonly assumed that upon death everyone who didn't become a Force Ghost lost their identity and simply rejoined the Force. However, with the "netherworld of the Force" which was mentioned in RotS, that seems to be less than the whole story making it possible, though imo somewhat unlikely, that Padme had survived.

24. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I don't think the netherworld of the Force necessarily changes that situation. In the Annotated Screenplays, the concept of the netherworld was already there.

25. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    Well is there even a difference between "rejoining the Force" and rejoining the "netherworld of the Force"?

I would like to think that if you are a good person in star wars you will transform into the "positive side" of the force and be able to be happy and at rest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.