main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Am i the only one who is so disappointed as to NEVER watch TFA EVER again?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by deathfromabove, Dec 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deathfromabove

deathfromabove Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2007
    OK i am a HUGE Star Wars fan ( obviously since i am here ).I love all six previous films ( Yes i love the prequels as much as the OT ).I have to admit i was sceptical when the rights for the franchise were bought by Disney given that i think the film saga had come to an end but was willing to give the new trilogy a chance...

Boy i boy i really absolutley HATED this movie so much! For too many reasons to get into here i think it is an insult to the previous movies ( ESPECIALLY the OT ).It ruins the happy ending of ROTJ and blatantly character assassinates Luke Skywalker by making him out to be a coward/utter failure.I dont mean to offend anyone who enjoyed the movie but this movie offended me so much ( Even more so given the apparently glowing reviews in the press though there is a backlash building just check out how many '' The Force Awakens SUCKS '' videos that are appearing online ).

Bottom line i will NEVER watch this film again and i was wondering if i am the only person here who feels this way.

Poe loves Rey likes this.
  2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I respect your opinion that you do not like TFA. But why do you feel the need to make a big issue of this.

If you don't like it fine. But what are you adding to the discussion that has not already been discussed elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    There's no opinion so extreme that you can't find other people who share it. That's the magic of a planet with more than 7 billion people on it.

4. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    TFA is a fun stupid movie. At it's core, it's probably the dumbest, worst thought out movie of the entire series. However, it has enough spirit that it actually turns out better than some of the others.

EternalHero likes this.
  5. Smokewood

Smokewood Jedi Padawan

Nov 8, 2012
    Our heroes turned into losers.....

Especially Han. 30 years later and he is still smuggling? Why? Didn't they make enough money during RoTJ to just retire on a beach planet??

KnightofCydonia likes this.
  6. deathfromabove

deathfromabove Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2007
    Like i said in my OP, i dont intend to offend anyone else here who likes TFA.Im not trying to change peoples mind as i am just expressing my opinion and wondering if any other fans feel the same way.I just thought the film was an utter shambles.Such lazy filmaking.

7. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I enjoyed watching it , but I do think it's very derivative and its status will drop as time goes on , it lacks imagination particularly in terms of design , Adam Driver's performance kinda saves it , I do think most fans will be interested in seeing what happens with his character .

8. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    It's better on second viewing.

DarthKreVass likes this.
  9. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Did you miss the bit about Han going back to what he did best once Ben was lost?

10. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    I don't think the OP missed it, but rather clearly said he hated that the characters didn't grow. It was like watching an alcoholic who had sobered up and then next time you see him again 30 years later he's back to be being a drunk.

11. Forceuser707

Forceuser707 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 23, 2015
    There are some issues I guess, but the only thing I rally don't like about this movie is that it ends too quickly and we have to wait a while for the next one.. A nice 3 hour version would be great.

12. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Legitimate arguments. I amended my post to reflect what I really meant, i.e., these issues have been discussed in others threads and a whole new thread is probably not appropriate. (Yes I am mini modding here, but my point is that creating individual threads like this that highlight dislike a TFA is bound to generate strong reaction from the majority of the forum members).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    That's a matter of taste--it doesn't bother me at all. But Smokewood (not the OP) asked (rhetorically) why Han would need to return to smuggling. The answer is that he needed to emotionally, not financially.

14. Iamnoone

Iamnoone Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 23, 2015
    Yes, there are a tiny minority who didn't like it. You'll be relieved to find yourself not alone in this opinion. Not really sure it needed another thread though tbh.

15. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I didn't hate the movie, but I was severely disappointed by it. I won't refuse to see it, but (more depressingly to me) I don't even want to see it again. I read up on spoilers so I knew, going in, that the plot would be similar to ANH and a lot of elements from the OT were blatantly copied.

But the music and characters were real let downs -- the two things I was looking forward to. It's not that the actors did bad jobs or anything. Just that we have so little context that nothing makes sense and the characters, to me, rarely seemed to be acting in accordance with their backstory.

I've still got hope for Episode 8 because Abrams isn't directing and I've never liked his work.

KnightofCydonia likes this.
  16. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Going to post this again since it's still relevant.

The people most disappointed seem to be the avid readers and readers tend to crave new original plot lines more than most. Readers are also more likely to be wannabe fan writers and therefore read more about the writing process and think more about plot and where they would personally take Star Wars. So, I can understand how some of those folks are wondering about the hype here but I really think those folks need to consider the following:

1) Prior to the sale there was a very good chance of us never getting new Star Wars movies at all. Now, we get spin offs and a brand new trilogy and there's a considerable amount of talent involved. Pick your battles. Star Wars is back. Aren't you feeling at least a little fortunate to be able to enjoy this universe again in an IMAX theatre?

2) As a result of the prequels unpopularity long-term it was all but a given that a soft reset was coming. While it messed with the EU cannon as well as some of what we know from
    the past movies... It could have been much worse or a much more drastic reset. Instead, the reset was about as soft as can be expected and we were able to experience new sequences and paradigm shifts. We get to experience time as a Trooper traitor. We get a new Skywalker family plot but this time with the son being turned and betraying his father rather than the reverse. We get to see Luke in a brand new way and at a new time in his life.

3) Given that we knew there was going to be a new protagonist set up we expected a small origin story and anyone who follows comics knows that the real fun begins once you can get through the origin setup elements which are always familiar. Look, I like Jedi training stuff, too, but did we really need to spend more time spreading out her development and training just "because that's how it's always been done in the past?" Drawing is out more would have made this feel even more familiar. Now that it's accelerated it allows for more possibilities in VIII and IX.

4) Rian Johnson is up next with the board fully set for a lot of fun possibilities. If the next one fails to deliver experiences wholly new and fresh then your criticisms will have more merit. Early reports on the script are good and given his past work I fully expect more risks and new, darker plot points from the villains.

5) TFA delights despite the familiarity. That's no small feat and if those elements didn't bring some of a sense of joy or some laughs then you might not enjoy aspects of the Star Wars experience as much as many of us other fans. Despite the familiarity I was very delighted to spend time with the characters old and new and enjoy the situational humor and dark moments from the villains.

6) Some people have a very narrow area of fiction that writers need to hit in order to be pleased. Many of these people are wannabe writers themselves and so essentially they want books and movies to deliver everything they dreamt up and more. You might be one of these types.

Hernalt and Artoo-Dion like this.
  17. DarthAhem

DarthAhem Jedi Master star 1

May 6, 2014
    No offense taken. You have every right to your opinion. I loved it upon a first viewing, but left with a few questions. Upon second viewing, I honestly loved it even more and found some answers.

We should all enjoy what we each like about Star Wars and feel free to criticize things we don't.

I can't wait for Episode VIII and feel delighted by some of the main questions this movie set up. Who is Rey, is there more to Finn's background, Kylo's motivation and struggles, who is Snoke? Luke!

I liked the prequel themes and story, but knew where we were headed. It's fun to feel like it's 1980 again with questions waiting to be answered.

18. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000

I, too, did not like TFA.

I am next door you to in your intentions. I will never pay to watch TFA again. I paid $5.25 for my ticket, and that's all TFA will ever get out of me. I will give TFA another chance only when I can rent it for free from my local library.

I am considering never buying a ticket to another Star Wars movie, and instead just waiting to rent them for free from the library. Why? Because TFA was so popular that Disney will probably continue giving us SW movies like it. I imagine that 1983's ROTJ will be the last SW film that I enjoy.

Hernalt and Rylo Ken like this.
  19. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004

The fact that you love all six movies (including the PT) tells me enough of what I need to know about your taste that the rest of whatever you wrote didn't merit reading.

Gamma626 likes this.
  20. Shaak Ti

Shaak Ti Jedi Master star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    It is okay, but if ST is all Mystery Boxes with no self containment, i will probably relegate the ST in my head cannon, but the characters are still good enough even without satisfactory context.

21. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    You're someone I remember from the early days of the JC, I've always respected your opinion. TFA is not a great film, but in my view nostalgic OT fan service is as worthy a goal for a major commercial wide release as any other goal. It's enjoyable in the same way a cup of hot chocolate is enjoyable. I want to see it once in 3D, so I'm going back for a second cup.

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    To me, it depends on how E8 and E9 pan out.
    There are things I don't like about TFA but am willing to wait until E9 is complete to fully judge TFA.
    Even if the whole Luke Skywalker, and FO/Resistance thing go down the drain, the next two movies, I will be able to watch the funny scenes and the lightsaber battle from TFA. Win for me.
    The old EU is my story, so not worried on how this turns out.
    There are plenty of new books and comics coming out, so I'm not worried.

23. callmejoe

callmejoe Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2015
    I honestly don't get the hate for this movie. I've said this before but this movie succeeds as a movie first where the prequels failed as a movie first. It did feel like a ANH rehash a times and some plot points weren't explained enough, but it is enjoyable on its own as a movie. The actions is great, the characters are likable, the acting is probably the best in the whole saga, it is also one of the funniest too. Its not a perfect movie but none off the Star Wars or any movie is for that matter. We still have 4 to 5 more hours of story to answer the question and bring it in a different direction. People are upset it is a bit of ANH rehash but I think they kind of had to play it say to start to trilogy and get everyone back on board.

TK327 likes this.
  24. Lord_Axle

Lord_Axle Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 1, 2002
    Well, after my first viewing, I left the multiplex confused, and with many questions regarding the plot holes. But my final verdict is reserved till this trilogy is complete. It can only get better, right? I never liked ANH. It took ESB and RoTJ to make me a Star Wars fan. TFA was a tease. Perhaps Episodes 8 & 9 will redeem this trilogy.

25. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    You don't know that Luke went away out of cowardice. Han, who should know better than anyone except Leia, said he felt responsible for Ben. Leaving could be the only option he saw other than giving into the dark side and murdering his nephew. A Jedi uses the force for defense, never attack. That's something Obi-Wan forgot in ROTS, but Luke apparently remembers.

morrison85 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.