main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Am i the only one who is so disappointed as to NEVER watch TFA EVER again?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by deathfromabove, Dec 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strange Old Hermit

Strange Old Hermit Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 17, 2015
    Complaint thread? Come on mods, it's getting ridiculous.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    There is really no way to expand a happy ending into three more movies, so keeping the happy ending of ROTJ would mean no ST at all.

Maybe some people prefer that, and that's a valid opinion, but I'm not sure how "it ruined ROTJ's happy ending" is a good criticism of TFA when there was really no way to maintain it.

3. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Pretty much exactly this. How anyone could find the prequels to be more competent films, in any regard, is baffling. Whether you like the plot or not, TFA is just a better made film than the prequels. From the production design, to the acting, to the directing. It's a more competently put together film.

Fruit Pastilles likes this.
  4. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011

I think the bolded section is debatable and depends on what a person hopes to get out of a movie. The action, for example, is something I felt overwhelming as though I never had time to breathe or stop and gather my bearings. I longed for a quiet moment or just a more somber or thoughtful scene of two characters getting to know each other better. The characters are likable, but in my opinion at the expense of making them three dimensional. Finn, for example, is funny and a great guy. But given his background as a child soldier, I never for one second believed in the character. And Rey is such a good person and has such power that she feels incomplete -- she's really lacking in terms of flaws and struggles for me as a character. I also, personally, don't think it's the funniest. It has gags, yes, but I found the exchange of banter between Han, Luke, and Leia in ANH to be much funnier and more organic.

If you enjoyed it, more power to you. But I found it hard to sympathize the way I did for Finn or Rey or Kylo Ren because, to me, their motivations rarely made sense and were often at odds with their backstories. Even if a character is whiny or has unlikable traits, I personally, can still enjoy them a lot if I understand why they're like that and why their response makes sense given their history and current circumstances. I still feel like they're a real, human person.

Hernalt likes this.
  5. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    I'm okay with someone not liking it or finding it disappointing, but this is SO wrong. None of the prequels were as well-made and had as much passion put into it as this film, come on now.

What was so dumb about it? TFA looks like a work of geniuses when compared to TPM and AotC.

Agreed. I think some people really need to look at the prequels as films, and as them, they are just terrible. I'm sick of linking people to Plinkett reviews, but they really are excellent. Sums up every reason why they can't touch any of the OT films or TFA.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  6. Dave of Ren

Dave of Ren Jedi Padawan

Dec 19, 2015
    You can't please everybody.

The issue with a movie this big, that means so much to so many, is that they could have made the best movie in the history of movies, and some would have been underwhelmed. There is no way to replicate what the OT was because it was so innovative that we were amazed. The PT was successful just on the attachment to the OT. TFA is much better than TFM and AOtC.

7. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011

Someone thinking that the prequels are better and more well thought out films than TFA is a completely legitimate opinion, equal to your own. It's your right to disagree. But someone else isn't "wrong" just for having a different opinion than you.

I've seen the Plinkett reviews. And the Confused Matthew reviews. And all those so called "take downs" of the PT. Not a one of them is convincing in my opinion.

You think the prequels are terrible films and that is your right. So respect the right of others to think that TFA is a terrible film. Art is personal and one's response to it is subjective.

deathfromabove likes this.
  8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    /Tantrum

While I appreciate how unique and special the OP is compared to everyone else on the planet, we have a review thread and a complaints thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.