main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Am I the only one who thinks Matt Lanter instead of Hayden when I think of Anakin?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Kev Snowmane, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    I just finished watching the Series Finale over at the official site. Oh. My. God. That last scene. I'm typing one handed practically because I have to keep wiping tears.

I just realized that Matt's performance has become the 'real' Anakin in my head.

Any one else?

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Yes.

Whether or not it was right/correct to have this particular expectation of Anakin from the OT as I did, TCW fills it as PT Anakin never quite did. This is a good man and it will be a tragedy, not expected outcome, for this Anakin to be seduced.

3. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    Hayden will always be my Anakin and Natalie will always be my Padme.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I had to step away from my computer for several minutes before I could review the episode after that scene.

I prefer Matt Lanter's Anakin but I don't know about considering him the "real" Anakin and eliminating from my mind the scenes that Hayden did that I liked. Hayden's Anakin was just shown in a different context; I'm glad we got Matt's Anakin so that we could see him in happier times and see the friendship with Obi-Wan.

Darkslayer and Original Oatmeal like this.
  5. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Hayden's Anakin was absolutely fine within the context of the story. Well-meaning, but severely emotionally disturbed. Lanter's Anakin is cooler and more heroic, but only at certain points does he strike me as the type who could conceivably fall to the dark side.

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  6. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Another Hayden bashing thread.

Garrett Atkins likes this.
  7. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Really - has it come to this that saying one "prefers" one over the over is now "bashing"? I only saw one post that might conceivably be considered so, not the entire thread.

8. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Anytime the word "Hayden" appears here, you know what it will become. ;)

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  9. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Well, gee, maybe we need to ban all the following :D to keep the peace around here:

Yippee!
    PT.
    RLM.
    Jar Jar.
    Microseries.
    TCW.
    Ahsoka.
    Hayden.
    GL.
    Filoni.

Feel free to contribute others and we can set up a argument-free-zone and talk about - well, nothing. :p

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "Talking about nothing" would be right.

Banning subjects so that we all agree would get really boring really quickly.

11. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Don't'cha wish we could actually - you know - debate, rather than argue? (Not that I don't love a good argument, but this is really to me a place to debate and discuss, not play verbal ping pong).

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I do, but I'm pretty cynical about that possibility at the moment. In general, not because of this thread.

13. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    You must be new here. :p

14. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    :p

Umm, can one be "born again SW poster" because that's the only way I'll be "new."

15. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    Hayden's Anakin was given 'tragedy' to play from the start. From his first appearance in AOTC, it was a downhill fall for the character - his mother's death, the outbreak of war, the murder of Dooku - until we get to Vader in ROTS. We never got to see the highs, the heroics-without-tragic-consequences, that made this guy a hero of the Clone Wars and the 'Hero With No Fear'.

Lanter's Anakin allows us to see this side of the character. The performance is good, but I wouldn't say he has replaced Hayden as the "official Anakin" in my 'headcanon'. But he has allowed me to see Hayden's character in a new light, and to appreciate the turns the movie-Anakin goes through as being complemented by what TCW-Anakin has done.

16. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    Getting back OT, I think part of it may also be that the scriptwriting is better on CW than it was in much of the PT (which I liked, by the way...I just acknowledge that it fell short of the mark in a number of ways).

Lanter also has an advantage in that he has a stronger sounding voice that doesn't undercut his performance when Anakin gets emotional. He can "brood" w/o sounding whiny about it.

17. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I have no problem with Hayden. I think he did a good job in the PT. However, I do hear Matt Lanter's voice in my head when I think of Anakin (or read EU). I have to say that Matt is more Anakin to me than Hayden. It's also exposure. Hayden only had two 4 hour films, Matt had 5 seasons. Just by default Matt got more "public time". I do agree with Kev Snowmane, Lanter has a stronger sounding voice, it's much deeper and comes across more commanding. Hayden is softer. Just for giggles I think it would be awesome if Matt would read some lines from ROTS so we could see what the differences are. Especially the final battle between him and Obi-Wan Kenobi. I'd love to hear Matt scream out "I HATE YOU!".

But yeah, Matt is "my Anakin". I mean just how he plays around with "snips" is so awesome:

[​IMG]

18. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    While I actually prefer Lanter's Anakin, certainly closer to what I had imagined Anakin being, Hayden is all I can imagine. I simply can't imagine the animated Anakin when picturing the stories.

19. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    Actually I picture Lanter in real life when I think of Anakin. LOL! I took a lot of photos of TCW cast and got used to their faces. I even picture Dee Bradly Baker under the clone helmets. Also Matt is a large dude, physically he's built like Anakin. Just like Ashley is close to the height of Ahsoka.

Original Oatmeal and cwustudent like this.
  20. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    The cartoon character is better because A. Lucas isn't doing all the writing/producing and B. Haden (the actor) is a tad, well, lets just say he'd have a hard time in jail. TCW Anakin (voice), the animation (his posture, mannerism's etc) is far more masculine. It's really that simple. Vader should have been, even before he turned into Vader, a tad rougher around the edges.

cwustudent likes this.
  21. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    After just watching AOTC and ROTS over the past two days, I personally prefer Matt as Anakin, because Anakin in TCW never complained or got all emotional and went on killing sprees, I know Anakin in the PT was supposed to do this to lead up to the events that happen in towards the end of ROTS, but it's just not as enjoyable to watch as TCW.

22. AvadaKenobi

AvadaKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 2, 2009
    I will always pick Hayden's Anakin over Matt's. Always.

Anakin, as a character, is written well enough in TCW. Matt, as an actor, isn't convincing enough as Anakin for me. You know what? Whatever. I'm just gonna say it: he's a horrible voice actor. He has no friggin' range. It's either angry or blank.

Hayden's performance is just too memorable for me. But I'm speaking as someone who thought Hayden's Anakin was just fine, so I might be biased. I never saw a need to "improve" Anakin.

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  23. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    This could be another one of my conspiracy theories, but I think when TCW came around, any "negative" public opinion about Hayden was slightly adjusted with Matt. There's no official poll taken yet, but there is a strong argument that Matt's Anakin comes across more masculine and "grown up" than Hayden's portrayal of him. Which coincides with a lot of public opinion of "being whiny" or "emotional". Whether it was just Matt's voice, or the writing or whatever.

Again I'm a prequel defender. Hayden did fine. But if I had to choose, I'd go with Matt. In an alternate universe if I could go back to AOTC casting, I would put Matt in the same exact part (with TCW style of writing) and I think we would have a "better" Anakin. Again "better" is opinion. I think they are both great, I'm just more of a Lanter fan..

24. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    This post is not exactly a response to you, just something that you said that I've heard other people say. So in a way I'm addressing people who have said this in the past.

Concerning the bolded: we DID get to see that guy. Anakin had a lot of great character moments in AOTC and ROTS. One of my favorite Anakin moments is his "I am a slow learner" quip to Dooku before their fight, because it's a moment that almost vindicates him from the shortcomings we are witness to throughout the movie. It's an acknowledgement of his weaknesses, but it's also a badass retort back at Dooku's talk down. Other than that you get to see him in full on awesome action at the beginning of ROTS, in an epic action sequence that is probably the best in Star Wars, and it's chock full of awesome character moments. You get to see Anakin and Obi-Wan interacting, except this time their relationship at the beginning feels different from Master and Student. They are more like equals, friends, and also friendly rivals. You get to see Anakin save the Chancellor and Obi-Wan by himself. You get to see how wise he has become in another favorite moment of mine, when the Chancellor tells Anakin to leave Obi-Wan behind, and Anakin replies "His fate will be the same as ours." It's not just a chance glimpse of a character, either. The beginning of ROTS tells a huge story in and of itself, of Anakin having matured into a wise adult from the brash teenager he was in the last film.

Like I said, this wasn't exactly addressed to you, and me and you actually kind of share a similar mindset, as I too think that Matt Lanter's Anakin compliments Anakin's well, and I'm very glad we get to see more of the hero Anakin. It just bugs me when people (not necessarily yourself) say that we didn't get to see what a good guy he was or see his friendship with Obi-Wan or any of that nonsense.

VMeran likes this.
  25. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I like Matt Lanter's Anakin. I still say dub over Hayden with Lanter. =b

Still waiting for my most alienating opinions trophy. Been like 6 months now slackers...

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.