main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Am I the only one...

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by MidnightRain, Jul 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MidnightRain

MidnightRain Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2003
    who will organize the Star Wars figures in a store if they've been strewn all over the aisle?

I got to K-mart this afternoon, and the Star Wars aisle looked like a hurricane had hit it. At least 40 basic figs off their pegs and thrown onto the shelf below. M-Pire figures and 500th Vaders mixed in with them. In order to find what I wanted, I would have had to dig for it, possibly damaging packaging in the process, so I just started putting the stuff back on the pegs. I even put the newer figures (Tarkin, Bacara, etc.) in the front -- I figured I might as well make it a little easier for the next collector.

I do this a lot, actually. (Although I'd never seen a mess quite like the one in K-mart today.) I know I'm doing someone else's job for them, but as a collector, I hate seeing figures just tossed all over the place. (The fact that I'm a neat freak probably doesn't help much, either.)

Am I just obsessive compulsive, or do any of you do the same thing?

2. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I'm more likely to make a mess. I blame the store for not leaving me sufficient room to browse through the figures on the pegs without knocking some off.

3. LetoQuorme

LetoQuorme Mos Alba FF Chapter Rep star 4

Nov 11, 2001
    I always put stray figures back on the pegs. I hate seeing my favorite section of the store in a mess! :p

4. DarthZairr

DarthZairr Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2005
    i did that hate too see it a mess especialy since the employees have not done it in a MONTH!!!!

5. IncomT65

IncomT65 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    Find the one who's supposed to do that job and fire him/her, I say.

I do that sometimes in record stores. You know, when some idiot picked up a cd, and put it back in the wrong place.

6. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I usually don't bother because around here, there usually isn't enough SW stuff to to get all hot and bothered over.

I'm also one of those BAD people who'll randomly take things out of my cart when I decide I don't want them and will leave them in an utterly unrelated department. Toys in the detergent isle, etc.

I've served my time in retail (3+ years in a sporting goods store where, of course, every day kids would HAVE to come in and race on the treadmills...oh isn't that just funny. [face_plain]) I figure the economy's still pretty bad, and those red shirts need to have something to do to keep them employed :p

I've also known for squirrling things away to hopefully find them later to purchase them when I have money :p

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The last few times I have been to Woolworths I have had to rearrange the figure shelf to see if there is anything on there besides Palpys and Pilots.. (usually not)..

8. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I replace all the figures I pull off when searching, but I usually leave the mess created by others. I worked in a grocery store when I was in high school and fixing messy aisles are great opportunities for the people in that department to kill some time while not really breaking a sweat ;) How could I rob them of such a precious gift?!

Meijer has a very bad habit of putting their newer figures up on the top shelf instead of on the pegs. I make it a point to get those down for kids and, "Vertically challenged" collectors.

9. JediLuner

JediLuner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2003
    Ruth , I Do this all the time , and i go overbord hee hee , I am a compulsive cleaner and organizer , i will go throu the toys and fix then up by Number and or figuer and so ON!!!!

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I've picked up a stray figure here and there and put them back on the peg, but normally I don't pick up the messes of others. I do my best not to make or add to the mess.

11. JaersteinCysse

JaersteinCysse Jedi Master star 1

Apr 21, 2004
    I make sure to finger through them carefully so as not to disturb the balance of things. I have moved good figs to hard to find spots, in case I decide I want another clone commander or such. I can't speak for everyone, but my summer job is at a Circuit City ... and there is no nicer way to kill time on a slow day than the throw stuff back on pegs and straighten boxes, seriously it is easy busy work.

12. Ekkostar

Ekkostar Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2005
    Well, at least you can find 500th Vader.
    I just see the same set of figures at every store I go to.
    I haven't been to the K-B Toys in the Auburn Mall (Yes, I live in Maine :) ) in ages. Maybe they might have a 500th Vader and some of the more obscure figures there, that is if they haven't replaced K-B with a Hot Topic or something.

13. Darth_Fenix

Darth_Fenix Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 2005
    I do every time I'm in a store. I've even had people ask me if I worked there. :D

14. JaersteinCysse

JaersteinCysse Jedi Master star 1

Apr 21, 2004
    I had people ask me if I work at target, but I had my red circuit city shirt on, lol. So I just said yes and directed them to the cereal and chips aisle ... they were looking for garbage cans.

15. pretender

pretender Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    I do the same thing, at least that means I'm not crazy right? [face_laugh]

And if I'm in the mood, I'll arange them by character on each peg. Really though, its an excuse to paw through all the figures and try to sort out if there are any new ones I want. There never are though.

16. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    I hang figures that are lying around back onto the pegs too. :) I hate seeing a messy SW section.

17. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Nope. Only if I work there.

18. LINQ0311

LINQ0311 Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2005
    Me, my girlfriend, and a bunch of my geek friends decided that we were tired of digging through peg warmers, and we wanted the aisle to appear somewhat empty so they would stock it. We started taking all the Tarfuls, Palpis, Neimodians, and Bail Organas and put them neatly on the end cap of the display, all in order. By this time, the end cap was totally full, but the main area was pretty open with some of the more decent figures, so we straightened those up too. Each type of figure on his own peg.

We then mentioned to a store clerk that the section was looking kind of thin. They said it would be restocked by 2 p.m. We came back while they were restocking and grabbed our fill of some pretty good figures. This was a Target by the way, and it still works, but they won't restock if we are standing right there.

I get the feeling that they like it when we do it because it saves them from doing it. It is made pretty obvious to us that they think we are total losers for collecting Star Wars. That's okay, I think they are total losers for working at Target, and for not respecting STAR WARS!!!

[face_laugh]

19. Darth_Nefar

Darth_Nefar Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2005
    I'm a perfectionist/obsessive-compulsive about some things and having things in order is one of them. So yes, I always pick up figures and put them back on the rack, etc.

20. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Did somebody from this thread beat me to my local Meijer's tonight? I walked into the aisle and almost fell over at how neat it was. I swear to God the figures had been alphabetized!

21. AmmersVI

AmmersVI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2005
    I had the same experience at my local toysRus today...
    The figures were lined up by number! Things have never been so neat!
    For once I didn't have to put stuff back on pegs to see other stuff below!
    I could tell instantly what they did and did not have! It was great!

22. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    I used to do that some. Except recently my Wal-Mart has had so few figures,I don't even bother because you can already see what's there. :)

23. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I do this a lot myself. I always end up knocking figures over anyway so I pick up the ones that were already on the floor.

24. AT-AT_Commander

AT-AT_Commander Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2001
    I will do it on occasion, or if its my own mess. but it depends on where im out actually, and what im getting.

25. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    I did it the other day at Wal-Mart. I put all the same figure on each peg.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.