main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Am I the only person here who likes the Tarzan sequence?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Hammurabi, May 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammurabi

Hammurabi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2007
    Personally, I think it's one of the most magical moments in the entire film. There's really something wondrous about it that I thing you all are missing. Sure, it's nonsense, but it's delicious nonsense.

2. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I thought it was funny, but then I also thought it was funny when Mutt got racked.

3. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    I might've liked it, had it not looked so fake. If the monkey's had been real, it might've changed the feeling I got from it. As it was, I just felt it was too fantastical.

But I didn't mind the idea behind it.

4. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Well, you're not alone. It would have been even nicer had they found some excuse to include it in the earlier films, if only because the MGM Tarzan series from the 30's is still the definitive one for most film buffs. But it's definitely better late than never.

I like the phrase delicious nonsense for a lot of what the Indy movies have come up with over the years. There's a giddy, "Can you top this?" charm to them that doesn't feel nearly as refreshing with any of the other summer movies of recent memory.

In fact, when other filmmakers start playing that kind of over-the-top stuff, the result is usually more likely to result in a big headache. :)

They couldn't use real monkeys. Hawaii wouldn't let the production company bring any animals with them.

5. Kapoof

Kapoof Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2008
    I actually liked it too. I heard such horrible thing about it going in, and when i saw it, i just thought "THIS is what everyone bitched and moaned about?"

A few things i like about it. Indy sees that Mutt's heading for some vines, and the way he's pointing and trying to tell Mutt to look out is hilarious. Then Mutt gets stuck in the vines and the look on his face is just great. Then you have the monkey sitting there... with the SAME haircut as Mutt, it looks to me. I like the little music Williams uses when the other monkeys start coming out. And then, the shots of Mutt swinging don't look bad at all. I like how the monkeys attack the Russians, and how Spalko throws one, and it finds it's way safely to a branch. Then how Mutt gets in the car with Indy, he looks like he can't believe what just happened.

It's just good fun. But i'm not sure it would work if it were not for Shia doing such a great job with it.

6. Jaina_and_Jag

Apr 19, 2003
    I know this. I also don't care. ;) I just think real monkey's would have made the scene better and since they didn't use real monkey's, I felt the scene wasn't as good as it could have been. Technically it's not really their fault, but I still didn't like it.

7. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000

I loved it, I thought it was very much in the adventure spirit of the series. Especially with that freaked out look on Shia's face.

Wasn't there some vine swinging in Return of the Jedi?

8. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    You mean Chewie and the Ewoks? :)

It's always going to be something. :rolleyes:

9. Jaina_and_Jag

Apr 19, 2003
    Are you kidding me? This was pretty much the only problem I had with the entire, so give me a break.

I'm sorry that I don't find every single thing in the movie perfect like you apparently do.

And for the record, it's not like I said I hated it, like so many other people have expressed. I just said I didn't really like the way it turned out, but that I liked the idea.

10. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I could've done without the actual vine swinging, but I loved the culmination of the sequence when the monkeys jump all over Spalko and interfere with the course of the vehicle. For some reason that moment struck me as pure Indiana Jones action.

11. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    I'm sorry to come in here and rain on everyone's parade, but I for one dislike the scene. It looks like a very skillful piece of CGI animation. It's wholly unbelievable and does not seem to adhere to the laws of gravity, physics or human muscular ability.

And why the monkeys should attack only the Russians, and not our heroes, is anyone's guess.

12. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    I absolutey hate this bit. Probably the worst part of the entire film.

13. WookieeWarrior9

WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 5, 2007
    I love the Tarzan bit. It was silly fun, there were monkeys, and it showed Mutt taking one more step in being a bit more like his father (albeit not swinging with the wip).

14. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    Maybe they really hate bob-cuts.

15. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    I think the monkeys in Krystal skull attacking just the Russians is just as preposterous as the card carrying Nazi monkey in Raiders (complete with hand gesture no less).

For me the CG was seamless. I knew the shots were too perfect to have included real monkeys, but they looked real to me none the less.

16. Jango10

Sep 22, 2002
    There's a difference between ONE trained monkey that belongs to someone and dozens of wild monkeys that happen to attack the bad guys.

17. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    I don't see what the number of monkeys has to do with it, they were still acting in a loyal way to one side of their choosing.

18. Jango10

Sep 22, 2002
    In Raiders you had a pet monkey that was obviously trained by that eye patch dude, in Skull you had monkeys living in the wild, that had probably never seen a person before, and yet they attack the bad guys only.

You don't see anything a little wierd about that?

19. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    To me it seemed fine. They sided with Mutt because they could tell he was fighting the people who were destroying their rain forest.

In Raiders, the monkey wasn't just trained, it also picked a side on it's own accord.

20. Jango10

Sep 22, 2002
    Where did it pick a side on it's own accord?

How could the monkeys tell who was destroying the forest and who wasn't? They were all driving cars.

21. Jaina_and_Jag

Apr 19, 2003

No it didn't, it's master was on that side.

22. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    The side the monkey was actively loyal to.

The monkeys in Crystal skull attacked the people who were operating the heavy machinery, and they could tell the people out of uniform were also fighting them.

I'm not saying it's like real life, I'm saying you have to roll along with it like you did in Raiders if you want to enjoy it.

23. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    The only part of this sequence that made me laugh was when Spalko chucked one of the monkeys over the cliff. Beyond that, I have no idea what the filmmakers were thinking. Truly awful stuff.

Although if I had to decide between the bit where Mutt is repeatedly whacked in the nuts by branches or the Tarzan moment, I think I'd say the monkeys were the lesser evil.

24. JediANGELA

JediANGELA Jedi Master star 6

Sep 28, 2002
    I actually enjoyed it. I read the novelization before the movie and it really gave me a up close look at the scene. I overlooked the CGI monkeys, and it really is an enjoyable scene.

25. Thumpy

Thumpy Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2005
    The CGI monkey scene was real disappointing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.