main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Am I wasting my money?

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by C_3PO, Nov 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C_3PO

C_3PO Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 20, 2001
    Hey all, for the past several years I have been collecting everything with those magic words written on them and my bank account keeps crying. I have things like the Silver R2D2 and Silver Clone Trooper, the controversial Unleashed Padme, 2 copies of the 1997 Platinum Edition SE boxset full of stuff, Anakin force FX sabers and all of the Taco Bell toys from 97-99. That is only what i consider to be the most valuable in my collection, aside from the 77-83 figs and the Frito-Lays and Fruit Loops mail-ins. So as you can imagine I have spent many pennies on all this stuff hoping to sell it for more in the future, but how do I know anyone will buy that stuff? I am just asking everyone here if they would ever buy anything like this in several years or am i just building a collection for myself? BTW, I am not selling them now, I am only asking if you all think I will be able to do so in a decade or so once they are a little harder to find(or even sooner if they are super-rare). Also, if anyone has anything that they think I should be looking for on ebay or where ever that will be worth something someday, feel free to post that too.

2. DarthBane77

DarthBane77 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2003
    I have spent many pennies on all this stuff hoping to sell it for more in the future

Never collect for what something might be worth in the future. Collect because you want to and you like to. If you collected just to sell it all off in the future, then I'd say yes to your question.

3. C_3PO

Aug 20, 2001
    Oh, and sorry for the hackneyed and tres cliche screen name, I've just been blocked so many times I just dont feel like trying anymore. You know what I'm talkin about ;)

4. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Collecting is a hobby, not an investment scheme.

Most of the stuff will be worth nothing in the future anyway.

5. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    I agree with the two statements above mine. I don't have much money to collect things so I just collect items that I like mainly. I never pick something for the sake of it. I have to really like the item or the design and colours of the item. Ok I sound like an artist :p

6. C_3PO

Aug 20, 2001
    Oh, good point guys. Don't at all think that I'm just collectiong for the investment value. I am a hard core SW fan and my wall to wall collection shows it. I love collecting and am addicted too. The main reason I shell out $50 for a Silver Clone is because it's super bad and cool! I am just wondering if i can ever make some of my money back someday when my car payments or whatever start crippling me. Although I have been planning on having one huge room in my house one day just for all my SW stuff!

7. DarthBane77

DarthBane77 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2003
    I am just wondering if i can ever make some of my money back someday when my car payments or whatever start crippling me. Unless its mint vintage, don't bet on getting too much out of them.

8. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Also if it's very easy to get hold of it's unlikely to make money in the future really. At least not a great amount, so just hope you have no money problems in the future ;)

9. C_3PO

Aug 20, 2001
    Ya know, um, it would be great if you guys would be sayin stuff like "Whoa, you got the limited issue Padme Unleashed fig? Thats gonna be worth so much some day!" but what are ya gonna do. I guess what I'm really looking for in this topic is, What can I collect that really is rare or will be worth more than what i paid for it someday, cuz sometimes just knowing you have something rare and in mint condition is cool. Like I have this ceramic Darth Vader Bust Lamp that's in really good condition and I've never seen another one anywhere or even heard of it existing outside my room. I also have these giant rebel alliance and galactic empire flags still mint in their packaging that were made in Germany or something like that and I've never seen those anywhere either. Oh, and who can forget the giant Clone Trooper Mask in Canadian ceral box that really is super bad@$$ and cool! Are those the kinds of things I should be concentrating on? Even if just for the sake of having them when not many other people do? BTW, I love your sig DarthBane77, really makes you think. Now if you'll excuse me I have to pull all of the little cat hairs off of my buttered toast.

10. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    Tell me, what age are you gonna die at? When are the publib going to be allowed into outer space? If we knew something was going to rise in money, don't you think everyone would be collecting them?

Look, we've already said, most of the stuff won't go up in price, so don't try. You should be having fun, not looking for something to sell, or 'have something that is expensive because it is cool'.

11. C_3PO

Aug 20, 2001
    Um, yeah, just so you know, I never said that having something expensive is cool, just hinted that all of the cool things are expensive. So now let's just put the idea of selling at a later date aside, since I'm probably not going to sell any of it unless I am desperate for money and have no more crack to sell. The new objective of this thread shall be: What kinds of SW items out there are going to make the best collector's items? Not based on value, but mainly by how sought after or praised they are by fans. i.e. If I'm gonna buy SW stuff anyway, what should I buy that will likely be considered a collector's item(like the B'omar Monk or silver figures)? It doesnt have to appreciate in value, just be known as being rare and cool among star wars fans, like my "Little Wookiee's First Training Bra" so I can say to my friend, "Ha-Ha, I got the Little Wookiee's First Training Bra and you dont!" Oh and please stop me if I cease to make sense....again.

12. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    "as you can imagine I have spent many pennies on all this stuff hoping to sell it for more in the future"

Ouch.

Dunno, buying Star Wars figures with the same attitude as building a 401K just sounds... Kinda sad. :( Don't you think you'd have much more fun if you just collected the fun things that you really liked?

13. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    So now you want to make fun of other collectors by saying you have stuff they don't?

Very mature [face_plain]

14. C_3PO

Aug 20, 2001
    Come on now Guff, you know that's not what I meant. I just have this one friend who is always joking around that he has a vinyl coated jawa and I don't, I just wanted to know if anyone knew what items i can get that can I can do the same to him with. It's what friends do, they rip on each other for any reason they can. It's not like I'm gonna go around the threads and say to anybody "haha, I got the canadian clone trooper mask and you don't" my point with that was to try and figure out what items were considered to be more important or hard to find than others. I don't want to buy just any plain R2D2 figure, I want a silver one because it is in a more unique package and was only offered for a limited time at one store. Does everybody get it now??

15. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    He wasn't making fun of other collectors, Guff, he was just asking what are usually considered more collectible Star Wars items (as opposed to popular and readily available items such as action figures, LEGOs, etc. :) ).

I really can't help you there, though, C_3PO. But, yeah, the "silver" figures -while not exactly "rare"- are much more of a collectible item than other toys. Having a complete collection of the silvers (Vader, R2, Boba and clonetrooper) will definitely impress people. :)

Personally, my dioramas are my "treasures" and the things that make other people say, "Wow, that's pretty neat, man." But, I also have two Jorg Saculs, and silver R2 and silver Boba. Those are cool collectibles too. :)

16. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    I would rather not have friends who 'rip on each other for whatever reason they can'.

Still, collect what you want, if you want something that your friend will never get, you may aswell just get something really expensive like a MR item. He probably will never get one of those :)

17. C_3PO

Aug 20, 2001
    Thank you Sithman! That is exactly what I mean! Anyone can go and buy some SW legos and have the same thing everybody else does. what will make my collection important to me is knowing that a lot of what i have you can't just walk in to walmart at any time and pick up for 5 bucks. So to me, the things that are limited edition, mail-order only, pulled off the shelves early or have a special background card in them when most of them don't are what classify as collector's items, and those kinds of things are what I'm looking for in this thread; things that will make my colleciton somewhat unique and not as easily built as anyone who frequents the local K-mart twice a month, not that there's anything wrong with them because I respect everybody who collects something, I just want to be different.

18. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    I'm not disagreeing with you, just everyone's collection is different because it's something personal :)

Example like my art work, it's created from the same software loads of others use but it's different because it's mine :)

19. C_3PO

Aug 20, 2001
    And about that friends ripping on each other for whatever reason they can thing, that may just be where I'm from and in South Park, it's just somethin to do and to joke around with, not meant to offend anyone, just a way to have fun, like my friend jeff who doesn't like to work, we make fun of him for being lazy and he makes fun of me for collecting SW stuff, but we're still friends and don't use those things against each other. But that was just a rant, you're right on track with the MR stuff, those are the kinds of things I aim for when i can afford them because they are limited to a certain number (2002 i think) and i like having things in my collection that are fairly unique like that. Just like your artwork AmberStarlight! :)

20. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    C_3PO I just want to know where you get a Little Wookiee's First Training Bra because I just have to have one!! Sorry that really made me giggle.

21. forceguy

forceguy Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2001
    What kinds of SW items out there are going to make the best collector's items?

C-3PO, you claim that you "want to be different," yet, you're here asking everyone for their opinion on what's cool to collect and what's not. You should collect because you enjoy it. That's what a hobby is all about. SW figures are nothing more than toys, NOT stocks and bonds. :)

22. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    forceguy, I really think you're missing his point.

He even said, later on, forget selling them later... He just wants to know some original, not-widely-sold, unique items that'll make his collection cool.

I think ya misread him. :)

23. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    C_3PO - I know what you're trying to do and it would've been a lot easier a few years ago. But unfortunately for you I have one word - ebay. There just isn't that much out there now that can't be had with a little research and effort. Even then, the prices are spotty at best. If you just wanna mess with your friend and get stuff he may not have, look for foreign variations of stuff. They're not crazy expensive and they're cool.

24. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Yes, you are completely wasting your money. Collecting SW stuff will not yield any signifigant advantage now, or in the future.

But what a way to blow hundreds of dollars a year, eh gang! :p

25. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    C_3PO , if you want 'unusual' colectables and enjoy the thrill of the find, might I suggest going the 'thrift store' collecting route? In my little journeys I have found:

Riderless Han Taun Taun - $4

E-1 electronic Obi-Wan bank (I think it works!) 3$

SW monopoly (Classic edition) 20$

Dueling Qui-Gon/Maul 3$

Assorted puzzles ranging from E-1 teaser to 1977 Kenner Star Wars for an average of
    .75 each

Micro machien Lightsaber .50

Just a fun thought!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.