main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Amazing destinations

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Oct 14, 2015.

1. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    So you're driving through a valley on your way from France to Switzerland. Mountains to the left, mountains to the right, mountains behind you and in front of you and you're zipping between them at 130km/h.

[​IMG]

Or you think you're in a valley. But there were signs. Saying that you're at 1000m. So what is this? Then you round a mountain, and it turns out you're on the side of it. You look down and see the Lake of Geneva, Lausanne, Montreux - and in the back, the Alps and in really bright weather, Mont Blanc.Lake Geneva is light azure. The mountains are gray and ancient, with white tops of snow or cloud. The cities are bustling and beautiful.

[​IMG]

Then you drive over this baby here, straight over the town of Montreux pictured above, with "Smoke On The Water" in your head:

[​IMG]

... into the Rhone valley, where the further south you go, the mountains get craggier

[​IMG]

and craggier

[​IMG]

until you can take a quaint old train and a ski lift up to this godforsaken place:

[​IMG]

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Ahhh, Switzerland. Despite all the bum splinters from the fence sitting, it's breath-takingly gorgeous.

3. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    It is an amazing destination. And you know what's amazing, too? How many EU flags they display over there. More than here. I don't understand it.

4. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Lorne

This is in fact my second home whenever I have time to get away from the city:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My place (though it's had a face lift, the facade doesn't quite look like this):

[​IMG]

My favourite place in the entire world for coffee and cake. It's an art gallery hidden in the woods. It's surrounded by nothing but trees and wildlife.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Try whistling THAT!

6. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    It's pretty sublime.

Think Greek coastal line meets North American rain forest with a whole lot of South Pacific surf thrown in. This is pretty much why I never cared for the Great Barrier Reef or Bondi. Both are nice, but i'll take Lorne any day.

Ender Sai likes this.
  7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah that gallery is pretty special.

Have you been up to Byron?

8. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    No, but we have close family friends who live up there, it looks stunning. I want to go up there. I've been to the Reef though....it was nice but when you see what surrounds it, you can't help it feel it's a diamond in a literal rough.

9. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    SuperWatto, you forgot to mention that Montreux has one of the biggest, if not the biggest Jazz festivals in Europe and it's where Château de Chillon and the Freddy Mercury statue is located. But, I like hanging out in Vevey. It's not as touristy and there's that big fork in the lake across from the Charlie Chaplin statue.

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    TryWhistling, Byron's great. Really beautiful place.

TryWhistlingThis likes this.
  11. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    This thread makes me want to quit my job and travel the world for a year or two.

Ender Sai likes this.
  12. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Olinda

I'll stop spruiking Australia after this last one, promise. I bring it up because I mentioned North America in my previous post. This is the closest you'll get to North America in Victoria. Only been once, if I were to go there in the next hour it would still be too long a wait. There's a lot of money in Olinda because most of the properties up there (if not lived in) are investment properties (typically owned by retired judges and QCs). A lot gorgeous hidden mansions and cottages, lovely township and just a totally different way of breathing since this is high country.

It's up in Victoria's Dandenong Ranges, about 90 minutes drive from the city and totally embedded in its own pocket of the world. Sublime:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

It is on my list, promise.

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Yes I really think I should have pursued my dream job of billionaire playboy.

15. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    I used to live in Sassafras which is close by. Stunningly beautiful place.

16. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    Where did we go wrong?

Admiral Volshe and Ender Sai like this.
  17. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

Lucky.

Seriously, when the day for me in 50 or so years comes for me to retire, Lorne or Olinda is where I want to be.

18. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, the Grand Canyon is impressively vast, but I was much more impressed by the striking beauty of Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park when I visited the Southwest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

Great, can't work or study now.

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  20. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I visited Thailand when I was 17 for three weeks. First week was in Chiang Mai and the surrounding countryside, second week in Koh Tao, and third week in Bangkok. It's such a beautiful country. Also Bangkok is amazing. Went there during the 2006 World Cup, it was packed with drunken Europeans. (We stayed on Khaosan Road) It was hilarious and amazing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]\

We never got to visit the south of Thailand, but I really wish we could've visited Koh Phi Phi (this was soon after the tsunami so even if we did go to southern Thailand, we wouldn't have been able to go there, most likely

[​IMG]

Juliet316, Abadacus, Havac and 3 others like this.
  21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah, um, that's a bit pretty Havac. =P~

EDIT: I love Thailand, PG. But I just wanted to make sure you knew that the drunk Europeans is pretty much standard (Aussies too), and not dependent on events like the world cup. :p

Point Given likes this.
  22. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

Seriously, these two cannot be real.

23. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I imagine they're filtered to hell, but being in similar places in Thailand, it's not far off the mark. (don't have my photos unfortunately)

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Um, Dol Inthanon park is pretty much just always picturesque.

Point Given likes this.
  25. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    I don't travel much but right now I'm in Shenandoah Valley, Virginia and it's gorgeous here.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk