main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Amazing destinations

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I also wanted to post the Batu Caves in Malaysia. My mother is from Malaysia and I've been there three times for about two months total. The caves are stunning and very accessible being only a few miles from KL.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    [​IMG]

Keep 'em coming JCC!

Juliet316 and Dinos4Ever like this.
  3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Local destinations my wife and I often visit is the Castro district in San Francisco. It's filled with great restaurants, exotic shops and colorful people. It's a historical district with it being one of the birth places of the gay rights movements.

[​IMG]

For years, the Castro was the place to be on Halloween. It's just a huge street party.
    [​IMG]

A few blocks away is Delores Park, where mostly locals hangout to have picnics and enjoy the sun with a great view of the San Francisco skyline.
    [​IMG]

On certain nights, there's "movie in the park" where everyone is invited to sit and watch some classic films.

[​IMG]

Another place I like to hangout in San Francisco that is enjoyed by locals and tourist alike is The Palace of Fine Arts. I find it beautiful, elegant and calming. When I was in elementary school, we often take field trips here to visit the Exploratorium (which has moved out of this area a couple of years ago). This place was featured in Michael Bay's "The Rock." IIRC, this place was build for the World Fair.

[​IMG]

When traveling abroad, I found Hida Takayama a wonderful place to visit as it maintains it's old world charm and zen like atmosphere as it's not a well known tourist destination. Additionally, you really get some authentic traditional Japanese meals and the Hida beef is amazing. It's so flavorful, tender and juicy it feels like it's melting your mouth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A truly amazing place to visit in Japan is the city of Kyoto. Kyoto has so many things to offer like the Fushimi Inari-Taisha Shrine, Golden Pavilion, Nijo Castle and garden, etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I think this is the coolest picture yet. It's like an ocean without water.

Abadacus likes this.
  5. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    To add a little Bay Area love, one of my lifelong favorite places (north of the Golden Gate, not far from Skywalker Ranch):
    [​IMG]
    Nestled between golden hills...
    [​IMG]
    ...that may just turn green if we ever have rain again.
    [​IMG]

6. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    How about the supervillain lair at the Junfraujoch in Switzerland:
    [​IMG]

I've often seen it from neighbouring mountains, and it looks even creepier from further away.

Or how about Lugano, also in Switzerland. One of the most beautiful places I've ever been:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    I guess I should advocate for my home town: San Juan, Puerto Rico.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    LOL! That just looks full on Bond villain.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  9. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    They actually filmed a James Bond, On Her Majesty's Secret Service (the one with George Lazenby), at the nearby Schilthorn:
    [​IMG]

This is Bond World, a museum about the film. It's really cool, with loads of cool behind the scenes features.

Plus a toboggan simulator!

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Santorini is wonderful and truly amazing destination. It's very welcoming to tourists and boasts spectacular views of the Mediterranean sunset.

[​IMG]

The architecture, walkways and experience is very unique. It's a wonderful place for dog lovers too as you'll find many friendly dogs roaming around. Here's a pic of my wife being greeted by a local canine as we wait for the sun to set.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    I think if I ever went there I'd never be able to leave. Looks absolutely perfect.

darkspine10 likes this.
  12. Agent M

Agent M Jedi Padawan star 2

May 13, 2015
    Bariloche is beautiful

13. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Maybe not as gorgeous as some of the already mentioned places, but my home state of West Virginia is a place many people overlook, but it is beautiful. It's encapsulated by the Appalachian Mountains and the New River runs through it, both of which are among the oldest mountain range and river in the world. If you are an outdoor kind of person there is plenty of hiking, mountain biking, rock climbing, hunting, fishing, white water rafting and skiing to be done.

[​IMG]
    Glade Creek Grist Mill - Babcock State Park - Fayette County, West Virginia

[​IMG]
    Seneca Rocks - Part of the Spruce Knob/Seneca Rocks National Recreation Area. Spruce Knob is the highest point in WV at it's summit.

[​IMG]
    New River Gorge Bridge - Fayetteville, WV

[​IMG]
    The State Capital Building in winter - Charleston, WV

14. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Sith_Sensei__Prime has not gushed about Santorini enough yet.
    Here's the thing.

If you arrive in Santorini at night, all you see is a harbour and a very black sky.

[​IMG]

You don't realize it yet, but what you think is the sky is actually a big, foreboding volcanic range.
    When your eyes finally dare to look beyond it, you see a deep blue hue that's the actual sky.

[​IMG]

Turns out, Santorini is a remnant of a volcano. And that harbour you approached is the steep side of the island. Downhill from there on. But first, you have to get on top of the steep side.

[​IMG]

Every turn in the road has some stones missing in the banisters. What happened there?
    But eventually you reach the island proper, and you see black sand.
    Volcanic remains that now serve sun-starved tourists. A sight to behold.

[​IMG]

15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yup. I went one of the islands that has plenty of volcanic rocks and took a hike with my tour group. The landscape was like being on a different planet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was the marker for the top of the volcano

[​IMG]

16. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Home.

Only think of it.

17. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Wocky, we travel so that we may appreciate home more. But home is where you are, so if you moved to any of these destinations - ok, maybe not Virginia - then that would be your home.

Think about it.

Ah-tut-tut-tut. Ssssh.

Think about it.

Coruscant likes this.
  18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I visited Lausanne twice earlier this year and I must say, it's better to visit in late April than mid January. I love how old Lausanne blends in perfectly with modern Lausanne. The city reminds me of San Francisco in that it's built on a hill and driving around and navigating the streets can be challenging. One of the things I love about the city is that drivers actually slow down and stop for pedestrians.

Lausanne is very picturesque.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blondel is the place to go to get some excellent Swiss chocolates. I love the variety of wine filled chocolates the best.

[​IMG]

The Lake Geneva waterfront of Lausanne is beautiful place to spend the day as the Alps make for a perfect background.

[​IMG]

The gardens and the luxury hotels at something to be admired.

[​IMG]

I found Vevey enjoyable enjoyable as it wasn't as busy as Lausanne and not the tourist destination that Montreux is. For some reason, I'm really fascinated with the large fork in the lake. It's a good place to have lunch and watch the tour boats go by.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love the setting of Montreux of how it's nestled along the lake and hugged by a range of mountains.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There many things to see in Montreux, like Freddie Mercury statue and a big chicken in front of the Grand Suisse Hotel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't have time to visit Chateau de Chillon, but I'm sure it's worth visiting.

[​IMG]