Discussion Amazing Lucasfilm CG editing video

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episode VII - Spoilers Allowed' started by STaylor, Sep 25, 2013.

1. vinsanity Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Like what PJ did with the Orcs/Uruk-Hais in LOTR
  2. Dranem Jedi Master

star 1

Well most of them could be CG for large groups shots, but it would be nice to see some guys in suits for any action or closeups. Even the OT used matte paintings and other techniques to fill out the shots of all the troops standing at attention in the shuttle bays and stuff.
  3. kegs202 Jedi Master

star 1
    The stormtroopers still looked very much like CGI. I don't mind CGI troops when a scene with hundreds of them is needed but any close up or action shots need to be people in costumes.
    Grand_Moff_Jawa likes this.
  4. vinsanity Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Just hire the guys from the 501st, problem solved.
  5. Loupgarou Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Ohman, this just makes me weep even harder for 1313. That footage is beautiful for a video-game. I don't know if that tech would work with the complexity of a movie quality model though.
  6. Darth PJ Force Ghost

star 4
    In terms of production it will be a cost/benefits exercise. If it's cheaper to render them by digital animation (or compositing), which it will invariably be if they have substantial screen time, then 'real' stormtroopers will take a back seat. However, I'm sure to placate the 'back to basics' ethos, JJ will incorporate at least one actor in a 'real' stormtrooper costume for close up shots etc. It's also worth noting that technology has come on in leaps and bounds since even ROTS... so I'm pretty sure the effects - digital environments and characters, will be even more seamless come 2015. I really don't think we'll have anything to worry about in this department.
  7. The Hellhammer 7SA Forum Interrogator

Game Host
    star 5
    It is a very impressive video.
    CGI troops are always alright with large numbers, as has already been said, but still nothing beats a guy in a suit.
    This is not necessarily a technology that will be in use for the ST, but I surely can see it taking the animated series production to a completely new level.
  8. JediKnightOB1 Force Ghost

star 5
    Impressive, most impressive!!!
  9. FRAGWAGON Force Ghost

star 4