main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Amazing Lucasfilm CG editing video

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by STaylor, Sep 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    Like what PJ did with the Orcs/Uruk-Hais in LOTR

2. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012

Well most of them could be CG for large groups shots, but it would be nice to see some guys in suits for any action or closeups. Even the OT used matte paintings and other techniques to fill out the shots of all the troops standing at attention in the shuttle bays and stuff.

3. kegs202

kegs202 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    The stormtroopers still looked very much like CGI. I don't mind CGI troops when a scene with hundreds of them is needed but any close up or action shots need to be people in costumes.

Grand_Moff_Jawa likes this.
  4. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    Just hire the guys from the 501st, problem solved.

5. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    Ohman, this just makes me weep even harder for 1313. That footage is beautiful for a video-game. I don't know if that tech would work with the complexity of a movie quality model though.

6. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    In terms of production it will be a cost/benefits exercise. If it's cheaper to render them by digital animation (or compositing), which it will invariably be if they have substantial screen time, then 'real' stormtroopers will take a back seat. However, I'm sure to placate the 'back to basics' ethos, JJ will incorporate at least one actor in a 'real' stormtrooper costume for close up shots etc. It's also worth noting that technology has come on in leaps and bounds since even ROTS... so I'm pretty sure the effects - digital environments and characters, will be even more seamless come 2015. I really don't think we'll have anything to worry about in this department.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  7. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    It is a very impressive video.
    CGI troops are always alright with large numbers, as has already been said, but still nothing beats a guy in a suit.
    This is not necessarily a technology that will be in use for the ST, but I surely can see it taking the animated series production to a completely new level.

8. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Impressive, most impressive!!!

9. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Very cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.