main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph AMC V. FX

Discussion in 'Community' started by blubeast1237, Jul 2, 2014.

1. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    I kind of see this as like the new Coke v. Pepsi, but with television.

I know these aren't the only two networks(duh) but I feel like these are two networks who have produced some really significantly good shows. The Walking Dead, American Horror Story, Mad Men, Fargo, Sons of Anarchy, etc.

I've been thinking about this lately because of the new show Tyrant on FX, which, honestly, will likely be cancelled because even though I enjoy it I don't think anyone else will.

So which do you guys prefer? Or who has had the better success?

2. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    But Sunny is on FXX :(

3. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    The League was also moved to FXX

4. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Archer is on FX, so they have my vote.

5. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Rescue Me aired on FX, and during its run, 'twas my favorite television program... I miss it! Also, I've yet to watch any of the famous recent AMC dramas, so my preference is clear.

squir1y likes this.
  6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    AMC on Mad Men alone.

Havac likes this.
  7. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Bah. Lightweights.

Cinemax has Strike Back and Banshee. Showtime has Masters of Sex, Homeland, and Joey. (I understand that people like Penny Dreadful as well, but I've never seen it) But I guess they get the nod for being premium channels. Stupid hierarchy.

Out of the above, I'd say AMC. For Mad Men and the risk it took with American Horror Story.

8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The only good show still on AMC, and it will be gone this time next year.

AMC is in pretty dire straits. TWD is big, but it will soon be their only show that anyone pays any attention to... and it's not exactly racking up prestigious award nominations. They're so desperate they gave two seasons to Better Call Saul, which hasn't even premiered yet. And who knows if it will be any good or get decent ratings? Despite some successful examples, spinoffs don't have a great track record.

FX was really stupid to split off its programming (already not nearly enough to fill their primetime slots) into two networks. Most people don't know what the **** FXX is, and it's not even included in packages with FX with some providers. Every show they've moved over there has seen its ratings plummet. Simpsons might bolster the spinoff channel, though I'm confused as to why anyone watches reruns on TV anymore. That said, FX has more good original programming than AMC. So.

9. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Because streaming services don't always have particular programs, or enough seasons of particular programs; also, some of use still enjoy watching shows "the old-fashioned' way, and some networks (USA) re-air some shows (Law & Order: SVU, as an example... a favorite program of mine, in spite of its problems) so often, that's it's quite the nice way to view said program (for whatever reason). :p

10. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Random glitch lead to this double-post.

11. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Aren't they all trying to do basic-cable HBO?

12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Since I'm speaking for solojones today, I'm going to plump for TNT. Rizzolian Isles for the win, you guys!

13. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Sons of Anarchy is perhaps some of the most **** TV since The Shield, which is not surprising since the same anus squeezed both out. I generally judge SoA fans as mildly stupid, which is reasonable given how dull the show is.

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Mr44 American Horror Story is FX.

And the correct answer to this thread is USA. :cool:

15. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Ah, my vote is split then. American Horror Story is some decent ground breaking storytelling though, for the most part. The murder house season was outstanding. The asylum season kind of dragged on a bit, or tried to cram too much stuff in, but something was off. The witches coven season was back to being good though.

16. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    FX certainly has the quantity. The Bridge, AHS, Justified, SoA, Fargo, The Americans, Archer, Louie, Sunny, maybe Tyrant now. Lot of good to great shows, though arguably no all-timers like Mad Men or Breaking Bad. Might be enough, though agreed on the FXX stupidity. That's not even in my package.

17. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    Breaking Bad has always been overrated to me. When people said it was better than the Wire and Mad Men I laughed...For a long time.

And Ender Sai You do love to hate people don't you?lol. I mean seriously, judging people because of a show they watch, geez, my man, its not that serious.

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It is. Stupidity is neither admirable nor to be encouraged, so I happily draw a line in the sand on SOA and people who watch it.

19. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    Dude... Its a tv show. For entertainment. But whatever.

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    So is Keeping Up With the Kardashians, or that "Duck Dynasty". They're TV shows, for entertainment. But I contend there's a degree of mindlessness associated with enjoying them and that is offensive to me. If you're going to waste time on lowest common denominator BS, chances are, you're a bit thick.

21. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    You can't judge what people enjoy as entertainment... Actually you can, but its a really... well stupid thing to do.

Maybe I'm too open minded, but I don't think that what people enjoy in entertainment demands a criticism on their intelligence or personality. This may just be me being rubbed the wrong way by your, apparent, assumed superiority where you can pass judgement on things and people, but if that's your character, I by no means want to stop you from expressing yourself, bud!

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    OK, so you enjoy lowbrow TV but don't like it being called out as lowbrow.

Understood.

23. MistrX

Jun 20, 2006
    I think you might be taking the whole "TV rotting your brain" idea a bit literally, Ender.

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I think people might be taking Ender a bit seriously.

DarthTunick likes this.
  25. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    That's not what you did, but yea, we're taking you too serious.lol

26. MistrX

Jun 20, 2006
    Always a danger.

Ender Sai likes this.