main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

America mourns the passing of the Man of Steel. Christopher Reeve 1952-2004

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by jedi_master_sal, Oct 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Christopher Reeve was most famous for his role as Superman, but his most important work was on his drive for stem cell research.

Reeve was in an accident in 1995, which left him a quadriplegic. It was becuase of this accident that he saw the need for stem cell research.

He passed away this Sunday (10/10/4), due to complications arrising from a pressure wound, which eventually resulted in a fatal heart attack. A pressure wound is essentially similar to a bed sore. This wound was not able to heal properly and he got an infection from it which made him take a turn for the worse Friday. He was admitted to the hospital on Saturday in a coma for which he did not recover.

The average life expectancy for someone with an injury as Reeve, is 7 years. He lived for 9 years after the injury.

He was slowly making a come-back and as of 3 months ago was able to move his finger.

He was even making a comeback in the entertainment industry, having several guest appearances on Smallville, a show about the year before Clark Kent became Superman. Later this month he has a show, on Lifetime I believe, that he directed about a quadriplegic girl. It aires on the 25th.

Please take a moment to reflect on not just a screen hero but a true hero.

Christopher Reeve 1952-2004

2. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    I was shocked to wake up to this news this morning. He seemed so strong, and definitely determined. He was at MIT last year for a neuroscience conference and I almost went to see him but made other plans instead. I very much regret that decision now. :(

3. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    It's ironic that after his accident, he embodied many of the qualiies that made us all believe he really was Superman (in the movies) in the effort to save others.

4. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    This hit me hard. Not just because I'm such a big Superman fan, but also because I was so sure Reeve was going to beat his paralysis.

5. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    This is a sad day for all. Christopher Reeve truly possessed many of the qualities that Superman himself had, including amazing personal strength, charity, and the ability to be a hope for others. I definitely think he was taken away too early, and I was also positive he was going to walk again. Chris will always be remembered for his heroics, both on- and off-screen.

6. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    It really did seem like with enough time he would have walked again someday. The progress he made through his intense physical therapy was really paying off. I remember growing up, like many kids in the early 80's, pretending to be Superman. But like many have said, his work in fighting for a cure for people that have suffered the same loss he did is what truly made him a superhero.

God bless Superman.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.