main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania America: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Silmarillion, May 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    Well, being a seasoned traveller now, I thought I'd offer these few opinions...

The Good
    • George Lucas lives there.

• Hoosier Hospitality - If you don't know what a Hoosier is, get over there and find out.

• The Food - Stay well away from the fast food restaurants and ask the locals where the good stuff is.

• You can usually find a good beer - No Stella or Tooheys, but you can get Guinness, Harp and Corona.

• Variety - Like Australia, depending on the area you go to, you're likely to find variances in weather, people, scenery, food etc.

• Wrigleys Gum - you can still get the stick variety that has long since been pulled off our shelves.

• Starbucks - I'm kidding.

The Bad
    • 492 blends of coffee and only 1 of tea - helpfully labelled "hot tea" usually. Bring your own Earl Grey or English Breakfast cause the yanks don't do tea.

• No TripleJ - Although I did hear a Gerling song in an Abercrombie and Fitch store which was a real treat.

• The Stereotypes - When you've only got Steve Irwin and Paul Hogan to go off, your weltenshaung is a little weird.

• America is very insular, so to get news of the outside world, you're going to have to get on the internet. Don't expect to flick through the channels and find out who won the FA cup.

The Ugly
    • Mullets are still ugly wherever they are

Err, that is all.

2. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    When are you coming back Sil...you said it would be early?

America is just like Australia, but bigger and more dangerous. Thats about it.

When I was in San Fransisco, it was literally a 5 min walk from the shopping area to the slums. I recommend you keep and eye open on where you are ;)

3. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    I'm back now. Hence the return to internet life.

;)

4. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    Mullets are cool.

And I know what a Hossier is, but I still want to get over there one day.

Arsenal won the FA cup, btw.

5. Darth_Reign

Darth_Reign Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    Been about Six years since I last saw the states. I went to San Francisco LA, San Diego and Las Vegas. All the cities were nice, but Dagsy is right. San Francisco whilst being a beautiful city, did have a problem with slums and unfortunate people who have to live on the streets.

6. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

The Good: MaidenLumpé (fawn lick grovel suck)

The Bad: Sitcoms, Talk Shows, Sandra Bullock

The Ugly: Jerry Springer

7. jediguy

jediguy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2000
    America, (well, at least NY was), too bloody expensive for any sane person. The Maccas I went to had the same prices as in Australia...but in US dollars!

8. JEDIPAULAW

JEDIPAULAW Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    America:

The Good: Star Wars

The Bad : Their Politicians ;)

The Ugly : Evertything else ;)

9. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    I would LOVE to go to the States one day, and meet all my online friends.

10. MD-O

MD-O Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 21, 2000
    Sorry to invade your board as I am an American but I couldn't resist.

Good: Similar to New Zealand, we have some of the most varied and beautiful landscape in the world. From spectacular mountains to desert landscapes to beautiful coastline and beaches. Being from the south, (and please, the ONLY people who are yanks are northerners) I just love the slow pace of life here along with the southern culture. Some of our greatest novelists come from the south.

Boston and New England for some reason seem to be a forgotten areas for tourists. May I suggest that you experience the spectacular fall foilage and scenery of Vermont sometime. It's breathtaking.

Sorry to invade your board. I'm glad you had a nice time in the midwest where people are nice to a fault.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.