main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion American and British Balance in Star Wars

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by yggdrasil311, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    How about a Cockney accent? ;)

2. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Billy Idol as a Sith Lord!!!

3. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    Yeah I never understood the racism complaint in the prequels. Jar Jar, the Nemoidians and sometimes even Watto are criticized because of their accents. But get this, each one of those characters are freaking ALIENS! They aren't human, and so how can this be racist? If anything, George Lucas made Gungans look bad with Jar Jar, and not people who sound like him. Same with Nemoidians, ect ect.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  5. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    Yeah I know, that's what I meant when I refered to Watto. It's just that, these creatures are aliens. How it is somehow racist for a fictional alien to come off as bad/annoying/whatever is beyond me. This is despite their culture, mannerisms, accent ect. They are not people, so it cannot be racist IMO.

6. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Most (not all) of the actors were cast during auditions in the states, which is why most of the main protagonists have American accents, and it was filmed mostly in the UK, so all of the imperial officers and stormtroopers had to be played by British extras, I would assume, because of union rules. It all just worked out that way by circumstance, and not because of any insidious intentions to make British people bad guys :). Maybe it is just that the British accent is more common in the upper class, or wealthy parts of the galaxy, which would form the core of the Imperial command, and the American accent is more common among the outlying, blue collar folks. Then again, Anakin seemed to have an American/Canadian accent, and then went quasi-British when he became Darth Vader.....At any rate, if any of the OT characters have children in the ST, then those children should at least speak with American accents for consistency.

7. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel Modercreeper Is Always Watching star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Agreed, and I'm American.

General Immodet likes this.
  8. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel Modercreeper Is Always Watching star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Obi-wan/ Vader. :)

9. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I know--hence "tendency." :)

10. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    There's a fine line between stereotypes and archetypes. For example, I remember people in 99 arguing that Watto was clearly an Arab stereotype. And another arguing that he was clearly an Italian stereotype. Perhaps its not so much about ethnic stereotypes, as it is basic character archetypes. If anything, making them aliens should take the movie out of time and place.

Sadly, that's not always the case. Nien Nunb was a goofy, sidekick character who had big cartoony lips and spoke with a Kenyan language, to impersonate an alien language. Nute Gunray is a greedy alien with a name inspired by American conservatives whose voices was assembled by replicating line readings from a Thai actor, to give the impression that Basic wasn't his native language. Why is one considered awesome world building, and the other racial stereotyping? Despite the fact that one is a bad guy, the methods and goals are obviously similar.

Count Yubnub likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.