American -> British glossary

Discussion in 'FanForce: Conventions Europe' started by Hama, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    lol

No that would be the other one you guys do not spell correctly.

Lightsabre
    Centre
    Theatre

;)
  2. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    I have a London guidebook that I bought in the US before I came over for the first time. There is an entry in the index that points to a section on driving. If you go to that page it basically says "DON'T". Unless you are planning on being outside of London I would pass on renting a car. Parking is a hassle in London and there is also the congestion charge to deal with. (See the link to TfL in the first post for more information on that).
    Also gasoline (petrol, as we call it) is very expensive here. My price at Sainsburys (supermarket petrol staton) was 96.9 pence a liter last week. And another local station has it at 99.9 pence/liter. (Note - that's a liter. Not a gallon.) I filled about half the tank on my VW Golf last week and it cost me about £15.00. You may think that the USA gasoline prices are high but yours is pretty cheap compared to ours.
  3. IncomT65 Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, but don't American cars run less economically?
  4. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    It depends on the car. My Golf is actually a US one - I brought it with me when I moved here. (I'd just spent 5 years paying it off). Since it is a US one it has a catalytic converter so it is a bit less economical, but it is also fuel-injected so that helps. Most of my driving is local and I get about 35mpg (that's a US gallon). Since I don't drive a lot a full tank lasts awhile.
  5. HunkyEvil Jedi Knight

star 3
    It's topped a quid now LAJ! (Get understanding that quid term Americans, it may be called a "squid" too by the cooler English inhabitants.)

At work we fill the Renault Traffic van up and from empty it can get a good £85 in it now
  6. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    It's still under a quid at my local petrol stations, but only just. Sainsburys is still at 96.9 but the station on the way into town is asking 99.9. Only a matter of time until it goes up though.
  7. Lord_Ogli Force Ghost

star 4
    Blimey! Welcome ter da FFUK yew fine young people. Nuff said, yeah?

lol, Love that Cockney translater Amber. Good stuff.

Heres an SOS for my American brethren. I hear you can still get Lucky Charms (cerial) over there, If so Much bribes and love to any of you who bring me a box when you come [face_praying]
  8. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    Have you tried this site for your Lucky Charms?
  9. AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    You know me Chris ;)

Actually Canada gets a lot of the stuff the US does so if you want me to bring a couple of things over I can. I know we get lucky charms as I saw them last week in the supermarket :D
  10. JediNemesis Jedi Master

star 4
    Cars in London just aren't a good idea. There's no parking, petrol prices are through the roof and in central London you'll be paying the Congestion Charge on top of that. CC is £8 a day (c. US$16) and is not to be sneezed at. [face_plain]

Get a Travelcard and use the Tube (=London Underground). It's really not as bad as everyone says it is :)

Someone mentioned the jail/gaol thing earlier; the spelling is different but they're said the same way. Even we're not mad enough to pronounce the O :p

Other differences:

American / British

trunk (of a car) / boot
    hood (of a car) / bonnet
    gas / petrol
    sidewalk / pavement

theater / theatre
    center / centre
    meter (distance) / metre
    encyclopedia / encyclopaedia
    medieval / mediaeval
    maneuver / manoeuvre

(okay, so you might not need those last few, but still ;) )

11. Lieutenant Piett Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey, how ya doin'? (What's the Brit equivalent of this NY greeting . . . ?)

Two things also: isn't it true that the light metal that foil is made from is pronounced "al-you-MIN-ee-um" over there, but "uh-LOOM-i-num" over here?

And that the British alphabet ends in "Zed", not "Zee" . . .?
  12. go-away Jedi Master

star 4
    "Hey, how you doing" is used in the UK, but I guess "Hello, how are you" is the norm in posher circles.

Yep got those pronunciations right. And Zed not Zee.

Also a "cell" phone is a "mobile" in the UK and we pronounce that different too - MO-B-ISLE assuming you pronounce isle the same as we do :p

To be honest, we all watch that many American movies, we shouldn't have a problem understanding you.
  13. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Aubergine (sp?) = Zuchinni (sp?)

Not quite.

Aubergine = eggplant
    Courgette = zucchini
  14. Urkanoid Force Ghost

star 4
    How about truck Vs lorry and color Vs colour? Also you'll scarcely hear an American guy\gal say "do you fancy those flowers?" It really is kinda funny the way the English language has sort of split in those two forms, dialects actually.

15. JediNemesis Jedi Master

star 4
    And others of the same ilk. Words like agile and futile we say like they're spelt - to rhyme with mile or I'll.

16. beezel26 Force Ghost

star 7
    And Trucks don't exist in UK.

They are Lorries

And its Brelly, not brolly.

And Follow me home lights are the lights that stay on a minute after the vehicle is turned off so you can make it home.

And a spanner is a wrench.

And the windscreen is the windshield.

Trust me I know all the british words for automotive working on English cars and German cars. The german cars use English translations not American.
  17. AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Sorry what is a brelly I've never heard of that before. A brolly yes, brelly NO.
  18. jedifan77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Southern California American popping in to say "Hi." The thread title caught my eye and I had to read it. Our FF Prez is from Europe (sorry, but I'm not sure of exactly where). Once in awhile he'll use a word that I don't know. Lorry is one I had to ask about a few weeks ago. As mentioned earlier in this thread, he said it was a truck. Well, that narrowed it down some, but does that mean it's a pick-up truck, a delivery type truck or maybe a big-rig 18 wheeler type truck?

I am really surprised that you can't get Lucky Charms. What's up with that? It's a very popular cereal over here. Do you know the reason? I wonder what it would cost to send some over for you or if it would even be worth it. Guess it depends on how much you want some, huh?
  19. Urkanoid Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, it really is more of a general term used to describe all sorts of big, land-based, motor vehicles, i.e. trucks. Buses are obviously excepted...
  20. Lord-Tice Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Lorry is used to describe a big-rig 18 wheeler mostly.
    The delivery type truck would be called a van and we don't really have too many pick-up trucks but that would also come under the Van category but are mostly used by councils and not commercially.

Hope that helps ;)

21. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6
    Could it be this?

[image=http://www.chariho.k12.ri.us/chs/studentwork/StClair/pictures/lcharms.jpg]
  22. Happy Ninja Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Yeah, I suppose that sounds about right. Or, "You alright?" would suffice, too...well, that's what I say, anyway. ;)
  23. Lord_Ogli Force Ghost

star 4
    I have no idea why we can't get lucky charms over here anymore. They were very popular when we had them but they just disapeared over night a few years back. Pray the same doesn't happen to you [face_worried]
  24. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    After I first moved here (in 1989) you could get Mountain Dew soda for awhile. Unfortunately it didn't catch on as it went away after awhile. I think they might have been test-marketing it in my area.
  25. starwarzfreek Jedi Knight

star 1
    Are any of you actually British, like me??? Lol...

We have our pathetic versions of American Gangstas too...Chavs...Basically wearing a Hooded Sweater (Hoody) and a Baseball Cap under it...

They don't say T's either...eg. Pafe'ic = Pathetic

Watch out for them when queuing to get in...bring a lightsaber or blaster...:D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.