main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

(american) Football "Fans"

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Koohii, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Let me preface this by saying I don't actually follow football--Superbowl Sunday is a great day to shop at the mall(except the shops selling TVs)--but did see the section with the 49ers fumble over and over again.

OK, the guy literally dropped the ball.

It's a GAME.

The people posting/twitting about the guy being the worst player ever, and making death threats...

These aren't fans, they're (omitted due to the family-friendly nature of the board). This isn't about the player making mistakes, this is about the viewers' inebriation and projecting their various problems into a sport as a way to cope. Death threats? Really? This is just amazingly pathetic.

To be fair, I'm not sure which is worse: some pathetic loser posting/twitting a death threat because "his" team lost a GAME, or people in Europe rioting when "their" team wins.

Makes me glad that I still live in a city that doesn't have a local professional football team. Let the 49ers and Raiders stay in SF and Oakland.

2. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    Pretty sure the overwhelming majority of sports fan aren't down with death threats.

3. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    This.

And Santa Clara 49ers has a nice ring to it.

4. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Shut up!!!

I'll kill both of you!!!!:mad:

:p

5. 3PO

3PO Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    The 49ers suck, so bring on the clip.

High amusement :p

Sort of like Romo fumbling the snap.

6. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    *ding, ding, ding*

Yes, 14-4 is awful.

P.S. I hate you, Vin.

7. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Yes, because this is limited to sporting fans.

Death threats to a writer/director for changes made to a movie.

Death threats to a writer for killing a character in their novel.

Your problem isn't with sports fans. It isn't even with fans. It's with fanatics, those who lose reason and act upon base urges rather than anything that resembles intellect or logic.

8. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Dingo is 100% correct. And the Niners really considering moving to Santa Clara? Pathetic. :p

Los Angeles Lakers: Drama, guaranteed.

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Technically "fan" is simply short for "fanatic," so it'd probably be a good idea to use another term for the psychos. I suggest "sports fans."

What?

10. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000

Dingo's got it.

Apparently the Niners' headquarters is already in the Santa Clara area.

11. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Doesn't matter where the HQ is. The Giants & Jets ought to play in New York, and the Niners should remain in San Francisco.

12. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    As with any group, there are extremists.

I think calling the people making death threats "Fans" is insulting to people who like to watch the games. "Psychos" is probably a much more apt phrase.

13. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Not just the Niners, I think the Oakland A's are planning on moving here and the Raiders keep going back and forth on if they want in on the move or not. The land is there and the deal with the amusement park is worked out with parking. According to all the news in the area (I'm in San Jose) this is happening.

14. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    Tbh, I think rioting over here is more a question of the team losing and/or provocation from opposing ultra elements. Rioting when winning seems to be more of an American/Canadian tradition, if I remember correctly.

Fun fact of the day, football-hooligans were the first line of defence in both the revolutions of 1989 and the recent 'Arab spring' against police repression. In Egypt last year, Tahrir was being 'protected' by two groups of Ultras that usually try to beat each other up, but had made common cause to protect protesters against Mubarak's police force. Football-hooligans, due to their experience with street fighting, and thus their lack of fear towards riot police, make excellent 'defenders of the revolution'. (The more you know!)

15. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

I knew of the A's previous plans (though I thought that had fallen through), but didn't the Raiders were also thinking of moving. Very interesting.

16. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Yes, the Raiders are interested in doing a shared stadium thing like the Jets/Giants.

17. 3PO

3PO Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2003

Yeah...too bad those stadiums are highly annoying to watch a game on :p

18. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    My Best friend is a huge Cowboys fan and he has never forgotten about that moment he reminds me of it every single time I see him.

By the way I have to say that the patriots are going to win the super bowl but I think it isn't going to be easy for them.