main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

American Graffiti Special Edition blu-ray

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Darth_Harmon, May 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    I was surprised to find that nobody is talking about this! American Graffiti is heading to blu-ray on May 31st in America.

[image=http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61YPnA7EKmL.jpg]

New digital transfer approved by Lucas! Pretty cool new features too, including a video commentary by Lucas (I assume he talks throughout the movie in a box in the corner of the screen). All the DVD features are carried over, plus there is a documentary titled "The Music of American Graffiti" and, from what I've read, some sort of soundtrack mode. Not really sure what thats all about. Perhaps you can jump to a song in the film?

Update: From digitalbits:

2. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Nice. This is the first I heard of about it. I'll definitely be picking it up.

3. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I'm assuming the soundtrack feature will allow you to listen to the isolated score, similar to the Alien DVD that got released awhile back. Graffiti's music was positively essential to it's success and the studio execs of the day balked at the licensing costs originally, iirc.

4. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    A two-disc set including More American Graffiti would have been nice. It was a failure, but it's still a good movie.

5. inotropic

inotropic Jedi Master

Oct 4, 2009
    Would be nice to get Tucker and More American Graffiti out of the "Availability Unknown" column on Netflix.

6. HylianBowcaster

HylianBowcaster Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 6, 2011
    This might be a buy for me, I've only heard good things about this movie. Since watching THX, I've been more interested in George Lucas' extended filmography.

7. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    ^^^
    You're in for a treat - it's a classic & it's the film that made George Lucas a millionaire. Hasn't dated a bit.
    Plus it spawned a very well-known, long-running TV show.

8. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    Happy Days actual predates American Graffiti. Gary Marshall filmed a pilot but it didn't sell to the networks so it was reworked as an episode of the tv series "Love American Style", and aired in 1972. Lucas actually cast Ron Howard in American Graffiti after screening the episode. After the film's success at the box office ABC picked Happy Days up as a series.

9. Darth_Harmon

Jul 4, 2005
    It's a fantastic film, you'll love it! Bonus: Harrison Ford in a cowboy hat.

American Graffiti, THX 1138 and Star Wars: A New Hope actually make for a great trilogy. All three deal with the same theme of a hero (Curt, THX, Luke) overcoming something larger them themselves and entering a much larger world.

10. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Seeing how THX 1138 and now American Graffiti both have isolated music tracks, I can only hope the Star Wars Saga Blu Rays will get the same feature. Actually, a Sound Effects only track, like in THX 1138 would be essential as well.

11. Darth_Harmon

Jul 4, 2005
    Two glowing reviews of the blu version:

http://www.tmrzoo.com/2011/24882

http://www.bigshinyrobot.com/reviews/archives/27900

One more week!

12. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    A detailed review with lots of screenshots was added to DVD Beaver, which is IMO one of the most informative Blu-Ray review sites out there.
    Except for some edge enhancement and halos in the beginning of the movie, the reviewer seems to like this release.

13. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Shame Lucas can find the time to do a solo commentary for American Graffiti, but not for his Star Wars opus.

14. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    I just bought this at my local Hastings. Four days before the official release date.

15. Darth_Harmon

Jul 4, 2005
    Nice! well it released today, it is currently sitting at my front door (unless somebody steals the package).

Can't wait to hear the new commentary! I hear the PIP video commentary is just GL's head, so not super exciting to look at. But I hear it's a great listen.

16. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    New Lucas commentary? Must have.

17. Pendulous_Dewlap

Pendulous_Dewlap Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2011
    I picked up a copy of the blu-ray earlier this week. "American Graffiti" is a pleasant reminder that Lucas used to know how to make movies.

18. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
    Lucas used to know how to make movies.

Currently one of the most popular and predictable cliches on the internet. Lucas still knows how to make movies.

19. skywalkerrancher

skywalkerrancher Jedi Youngling

Jul 17, 2010
    Thank you so much for posting this! American Graffiti is my 2nd favorite film after Ep 4 and I never would have known. I wish Lucasfilm had been a little more vocal about it.

20. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

There are a number of great You Tube clips where Lucas talks about Graffiti. This is one of the best:

Lucas talks with the American Film Institute about American Graffiti

It wasn't easy to create, it wasn't easy to get someone to back it, it wasn't easy to shoot, and it wasn't even easy to persuade
    Universal to release it, despite enthusiastic preview response. George had a battle on his hands every inch of the way.

It sure paid off though. The film holds up to this day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.