main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph American Horror Story: Hotel

Discussion in 'Community' started by darthcaedus1138, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    AHS harken back to the older horror stories from the first half of the 20th century, more about evoking a response than relying on visuals and gore to get a reaction. They still do have some moments of blood and gore, but it's more than just that.

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Well, it's back.

3. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Summary of tonight's "American Horror Story: Freak Show": Uncomfortable sex scenes, lots of murder, and "That scary clown"

4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It was so much more. And those credits! Lush.

5. Dingo

Apr 23, 2001
    Definitely an interesting start. Despite how some people will view it as a slow start, I actually liked them spending time getting to know some of the nuances of the main viewpoint characters before kicking the overall storyline into full gear.

6. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    **** clowns, seriously.

The clown is fantastic in a terrifying way.

7. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    I'm patiently waiting for season three to show up on Netflix. [face_waiting] I've been told it's the best season yet.

8. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    It's not. It's not bad though. S3 just reminded me more of like...True Blood, but not a comedy. And no vampires. But that jive.

9. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Gotcha. I'll probably still end up watching the whole season in one day just like I did with the first two. :p

10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It's decent, but slug is right.

11. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Just saw E1 of AHS: Freak show & was truly blown-away; Amazing- I have a feeling I will like it more than my favorite season (so far) of the show, i.e. Asylum.

IMHO, the stand-out performance of this episode was the dual role(s) by S. Paulson as the Siamese/Conjoined Twins - magnificent, and I liked how she gave each one a distinct personality. I actually found her performance(s) sublime, as she was able to play shy, nervous, scared, and **** - all at once....fantastic. Obviously, a lot of the success of this performance was due to the effects of convincingly having her appear as a two-headed woman, without the CGI being at all obvious...

The "Life on Mars" song sequence was incredible as well, and didn't seem out of place - even though it should have been.

Looking forward to the rest of this season...

12. Dingo

Apr 23, 2001
    And AHS has been renewed already for season 5.

13. Darth Morella

Apr 5, 2004
    I'm still not sure about the musical numbers in AHS. They feel weird, and maybe that's the intent. But still.

14. Darth Morella

Apr 5, 2004
  15. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Re: E2 of FS - wow, superb! I'm really digging this season so far, and the addition of M. Chiklis just makes the show even better.

SPOILERS BELOW FOR E2 of AHS: Freak Show - I don't know how to do spoiler tags on this board, so please don't read the below if you haven't seen the episode & want to be surprised:

Agree that the clown is one of the most grotesque villains to ever grace the silver screen - he's even worse than the one in Stephen King's It;
    when I first started watching the show, I thought he was affiliated with the circus; but, as the show continues, it's obvious he isn't (or at least, he doesn't seem to be). Not surprised that he & the sadistic, spoiled rich kid formed an alliance at the end of E2...

By far my favorite scene in this episode was the one where the conjoined twins sung Fiona Apple's Criminal, while one of the performers crowd-surfed in the audience - very cool; great song, and while watching this I felt I was at at a late '90's rock concert [​IMG] I know some may not like the inclusion of modern songs in a series taking place in the 1950's, but IMHO it's one of the things that makes this show so unique...

As I mentioned in my last post, SP is really knocking it out of the park here re: her portrayal of these twins; the different facial expressions to show the different personalities, the way the second head is tilted, etc.

Liked the diner scene as well; there was a story on the news recently about a badly injured child going into a diner/restaurant/store with their guardian(s) and being asked to leave since they were "disturbing" the other patrons because of their appearance - it shows not much has changed here...

Very sad about Meek the Geek - depressing what happened to him, especially since he had absolutely nothing to do with what he was accused of...

Though FS may be my favorite season of AHS (I'll reserve judgement until I see the rest of the episodes), I did have a couple of nit-picks:

-I'm surprised that the Lobster Boy kept the officer's badge; it should have been obvious that he should have gotten rid of this immediately. Now, the entire circus will be under suspicion..That being said, I guess it makes sense; Lobster boy wanted to keep the badge for leverage (using it against the strong-man), but that back-fired....

-It was strange how Elsa (JL) gave the one conjoined twin a knife?! at the end, presumably so she could threaten the other twin. Ridiculous, since I thought everyone knew that if something happens to one conjoined twin, it will affect both; if one is injured, they're both affected - and, if one dies I believe the other one dies as well.

16. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    I believe she gave the knife for a reason other than that. She's manipulating her into something else. I'm guessing.

Also glad that meeping kid died. All he did was bite the heads off innocent animals. He was long overdue for some karma.

17. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Not that this matters within the context of your post, but it turns out that entire story was a hoax. It seems that the girl's grandmother made it up in order to get donations, and used the girl as the rationale. It still represents the dark side of human nature, but not in the way originally thought. The girl herself is still getting free medical care though (even if the money is put on hold), so some good is coming from the grandmother's deception.

http://www.people.com/article/kfc-scarred-mississippi-girl-viral-story-outrage-hoax-revealed]HOAX[/url] REVEALED

18. Darth Morella

Apr 5, 2004
    Elsa's musical number was a flop last week, and then this week the twins get out there and knock it out of the park (also, they're a lot younger). It's obvious Elsa wants to be the star of the show and thinks everyone else should be just a side number. She's trying to manipulate Bette and Dot to get rid of them without getting her hands dirty.

19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'm surprised there's not more love for this. Freak Show has been top-notch.

20. Dingo

Apr 23, 2001
    I'm absolutely loving it. Kathy Bates is giving a good, subdued performance. Evan Peters is showing why he's the male lead on this show. Trippy has to be the best clown on TV ever, and Dandy was a good contrast to him. But it's Sarah Poulson that is stealing the show this series with the nuances she gives to each of Bette and Dot.

21. Darth Morella

Apr 5, 2004
    You guys. We saw one of the guys from AHS at a tiny Vietnamese restaurant in NOLA and my social awkwardness kicked in, so as soon as I recognized him, I ducked out of the place as fast as I could. FML.

22. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
  23. Darth Morella

Apr 5, 2004
    The one with the short arms. See, I don't even know his name so it woulda been even more awkward.

24. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Oh man so you went into a restaurant, a "freak" was there, and you walked out?!? Way to reinact the show for him!!!!

25. Darth Morella

Apr 5, 2004
    :(

No. We just didn't realize he was there until we were on our way out. He must have walked in when we were eating, and we were sitting way at the back.

:(

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.