main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"American Horror Story" New Episode Tonight

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Nevermind, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
  2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Good thing its not a sophomore effort by the creator or the writer, then. Ryan Murphy has both Nip/Tuck and Glee (and the show Popular) under his belt, and writer Tim Minear has been the writer of a number of the fan favorite episodes of Angel, Firefly, Wonderfalls and more. He has had the misfortune to be behind several failed shows, but none of those were shows that failed on the basis of poor scripting.

Anyway, I'm cautiously optimistic about this one, because I would love a good horror serial.

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, I don't know if this will work at all, but I really hope it will. It's sounds great.

4. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I was going to pass on this till the newer trailer came out last week or so. Im kinda getting a modern day Addams Family type of vibe from it???

5. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Connie Britton is in this because of her work in Friday Night Lights I'm going to give it a shot.

6. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  7. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Well did any of yall watch it Wen? I did, it is strange but in a good way, and right in time for Halloween!

8. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Damn, forgot.

9. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    10-11PM | FX
    American Horror Story

"Ben returns to Boston where the horrors are even greater than in L.A. Baked bean candy? Scary."

10. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  11. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    American Horror Story
    Episode: Open House
    NEW
    S01, E07

"Moira persuades a buyer to make an offer while Constance and Larry work against her efforts."

10:00 - 11:00 PM FX

12. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    A 1.7 ratings share?

Now that's scary.

13. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    That's interesting, actually.

But think about it; who's this show's audience?

The quadrant of the audience who watches horror (generally younger males) don't want to watch horror that would pass the TV censors.

14. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    American Horror Story
    Episode: Rubber Man
    NEW
    S01, E08

The man in the rubber suit is revealed.

10:00 - 11:00 PM FX

All Upcoming Times
    Full Episode Details

15. CloneUncleOwen

Jul 30, 2009
    Well, I would call it a sector, not quadrant.[face_beatup]

As far as target audience is concerened, ask Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk. They're trying the shotgun approach on this project--
    just fire everything at the audience and see what hits; and putting content on writing is a shame, as far as

16. CloneUncleOwen

Jul 30, 2009
    Well, I would call it sector instead of quadrant.[face_beatup]

As far as target audience, ask Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk. They're trying the shotgun approach on this project--
    fire everything at the audience, and see who it hits, however by putting content over writing they're somewhat short-
    changing themselves. American Horror Story has some very talented people writing for it, Tim Minear in particular.
    He's practically the two-headed man with Joss Whedon; they're good friends, and their writing is identical in many ways.
    Back in the day, he worked for Oliver Stone. Why steer people like Tim towards patently obvious schlock?

I hope the show levels out.

Ed/ And I have no idea how I double-posted this mess...

Ed/ future ref. Do Not Take Calls And Post At Same Time.

17. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I don't know. The Walking Dead seems to be doing okay.

It would be interesting to take a survey of self-reporting viewers of horror and see how their tastes skew; I know I'd be very happy to see an ongoing horror serial that could keep up tension week in and week out rather than relying on soap opera subplots or gore or humor and hot leads. But I imagine such a thing would be very difficult to pull off. There's a reason horror tends to work better at the story than the novel length, and that movies often rely on jump scares and gore -- it's very very difficult to keep someone scared for an extended time, and it's even more difficult to pace the ratcheting of the tension so as not to lose your viewers.

18. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    American Horror Story
    Episode: Smoldering Children
    NEW
    S01, E10

Violet learns the rules of the house; Larry's condition is explained; Constance is interrogated by the police.

10:00 - 11:01 PM FX