main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

American Werewolf in London

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by saturn5, Feb 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saturn5

saturn5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2009
    Great film, horror and comedy seamlessly blended. Great commentary, David Naughton and Griffin Dunne really do come across like their characters (not least because they apparently improvised much of their banter and cracked each other up, Landis just deciding to leave it in for authenticity).

Wonderful music, such a shame they couldn't use 'Werewolves of London' or 'Moon Shadow' like they wanted to. Plus young Jenny Agutter in a nurses outfit RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Amazing that all the scenes in Yorkshire were actually filmed in Wales (as was Highlander), Surrey and Windsor.

Amazing documentary, almost as long as the movie itself. Only thing that could make it better would be Landis himself giving an commentary

Anyone else a fan?

2. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Yeah. Though it's not really a film that rewatch a lot, I remember how highly I rated it when I first saw it. I used to have a videotape of it somewhere... probably in a box in the back of a wardrobe.

The blend of horror, comedy, and romance, is perfect. Few films manage to blend genuine horror and comedy together, fewer still manage to give it a heart. It's funny, it's sad, and it has those werewolf transformation scenes that stay with you long after the film has ended.

Really quality stuff.

3. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    The first half is really great and I guess it´s safe to say the first transformation is one of THE MOMENTS of horror movies . . . truly iconic.

4. saturn5

saturn5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2009
    Add in The Howling and Wolfen and the early 80s was a good era for werewolf films

5. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Indeed. Although I saw the late cousin Wolfman yesterday and it was better than I had feared . . .

6. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Easily my favorite werewolf movie.

7. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

AMIL is not only the best Werewolf movie of all time (IMHO), it's also one of the best films of the 1980's. As a kid in the early '80's, I remember seeing parts of this on VHS tape and being quite frightened. Great stuff.

The various "dream sequences" were quite creepy, including the one in the forest & the one where those monsters invaded the family's house.

The werewolf transformation scene is easily the best werewolf transformation of all time, hands down. Even with CGI today, that still can't top R. Baker's great work on this creature.

Over the years, I've re-watched the movie several times and it really holds up. It's definitely got some comedy, but a lot of drama as well.

8. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I love it..

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. MarlonB

MarlonB Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2011
    True. It's one of the best Werewolf movies of all time. I just read an interesting critic from 2000 about the movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.