main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ America's Love Affair With Lord Of The Rings Threatening It's Relationship With Star Wars

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SimplyThrilledHoney, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
  2. Buzz-Bumble

Buzz-Bumble Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000

Nah. LotR is just the latest fad. Once the third movie has been and gone it'll be yesterday's news. Same with Harry Potter, Matrix, etc.

Star Wars has already been around for over 20 years and the fan base just keeps getting bigger. :)

But, on a similar note, it seems to be over for Star Trek. From the latest news going around it seems to be heading towards no more Star Trek movies because of the box-office "failure" of Star Trek: Nemesis.

3. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    I think that article is just a joke, but I disagree that LOTR and Harry Potter are fads which will fade away. The Martrix ... maybe, it is a pretty '90s' kinda movie, the style and tone may become dated ... it will probably persist as a 'cult film' much like Blade Runner.

I think the LOTR and HP movies will be lauded as the definitive film adaptations of their respective books. LOTR less so, perhaps, because it seems like the long time fans of the book are not as satisfied as the long time HP fans are with the movies.

There's always a chance they'll make new movies, but I wouldn't bet on it for at least 30-40 years.

I think the stories behind Star Wars, LOTR and HP will persist, as they all tell the same basic story ... usually centered around one character's struggle with good and evil. I think there's something basic in human nature which just needs to hear these stories to make sense of our existence.

Yes, that's my profound thought for today.

;)

4. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

Yep, everything on The Onion website is a joke - it's a parody newspaper. :)

It's doubtful that Harry Potter will ever get to the 13 (or whatever it's supposed to be) movies - it's beginning to fade now, even before she's half-way through writing the books.

These days everything is pretty much a fad - people today just don't have the attention span they used to, as shown by the box-office records that almost get beaten by the very next film. [face_plain]

Star Wars on the other hand has a wide-reaching, multi-generational fan base, partly because the prequel trilogy took a whole generation before they were made, but also because it's a family-friendly story. :)

5. -Winter-

-Winter- Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    Someone said Craccum get all their news from The Onion, lol.

Anyway, I have no problem with movies just being fads or "cult movies". :) I like Teh Matrix; doesn't matter if my kids won't like them ;).

6. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Nah. LotR is just the latest fad. Once the third movie has been and gone it'll be yesterday's news. Same with Harry Potter, Matrix, etc.

You must be Nieve and Ignorant if you believe that. SW made a huge splash when it was released in the 70's. LOTR has done so in the 2000's (err yea). LOTR has had followers for longer than SW has has been in the mind of Lucas. The people who enjoy LOTR will continue, they will not fade away.

SW has only hyped up again because of these new episodes. Sure LOTR doesn't have the ability to do such a thing in 25-30 years time. SW has the ability to show it can continue when it has followers that keep buying toys, and they only make them to scab money off these people *cough* Buzz/Chans etc *cough*. Although LOTR cannot do such a thing, unless they bring out "Dress up Arwen" and different clothes accessories etc, the fans will not die, and it will not be yesterday's news!

//hanv't read article - no time, but I'm sure it's a joke from thr pic's I quickly looked at. An R2 as a Window prop. Riiiight//

7. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    yes, obviously it's a joke ... but the satire on The Onion is usually very topical, and the truth is never far below the surface. (Their edition just after September 11th was both side-splittingly funny _and_ poignant at the same time.)

I do, however, completely disagree with Buzz that LOTR is a "fad" movie. (But we all know Buzz has a particularly sharp axe to grind on this particular topic ...) Sure, we live in a "fast" culture, and everything does seem to lose its appeal very quickly these days, but I can't see that happening to LOTR. After all, the books have remained popular for decades, and I think that the Jackson trilogy will always be seen as the definitive adaptation. Plus, they are damn good films from every standpoint, and quality is never going to go out of fashion.

Not so sure about Harry Potter. These are obviously going to be very important to this generation's young'uns, 'cause they will have been bought up with them and will develop nostalgia for them as they get older, in much the same way tha my generation hs nostalgia for Star Wars because we "grew up with it". I think the longevity of the Harry Potter books and films is entirely reliant on JK Rowling's ability to finish the seven books, and for the seven films to be made. I'll be interested to see if she actually writes all the books, because by all accounts the last one seemed to be something of a struggle for her.

8. -Winter-

Mar 12, 2002
    SW has the ability to show it can continue when it has followers that keep buying toys, and they only make them to scab money off these people *cough* Buzz/Chans etc *cough*.

SFL, didn't you say you have thousands dollars worth of LOTR stuff?

9. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    I've kept up with Harry Potter book 5 news on a semi-regular basis since 2000. There's been nothing to indicate JKR has had any problems writing book 5. No publication dates were missed.

Harry Potter isn't just special to the young uns', the adult fanbase is actually bigger, and, from what I've seen, more fanatical. It's going to be mayhem when they release book 5 this years ... it was bad enough for book 4, but now we've had two movies, so the fanbase has probably doubled.

I think the HP books will end up taking a similar place to the Narnia books, or Roald Dahl's classics (which I still enjoy reading ;)). There's nothing in them to really 'date' them (apart from the occasional playstation reference), unlike 'The Famous Five'.

10. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

I never meant that ALL the fans of LotR would suddenly disappear or dislike the stories, but that there are a HUGE number of bandwagon jumpers that just latch on to the latest "toy" on the block ... until the next one comes along, at which point they will disappear leaving only the much smaller number of true fans.

But Star Wars is pretty much the only film saga that is enjoyed by a very wide range of ages, so it'll last quite some time as young fans today play it for their younger siblings and kids, just as many you you probably did / do / will.

The Narnia books are currently in the planning stages of being made into a move, partly because of the box-office success of LotR. The Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie is still a classic, although looks a little old now. James and the Giant Peach movie was pretty awful though.

11. -Winter-

Mar 12, 2002
    I like Matilda :D

12. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    I loved the book 'Matilda', but the movie didn't do much for me. I don't know why they changed the setting from England to America, kind of unncessary to me.

I enjoyed the Willy Wonka movie somewhat, but I thought what they did with Willy Wonka's character was pretty weird. In the books, he was eccentric, but still lovable. But in the movie, they gave him this really cruel, uncaring streak. In that scene towards the end, where he yells at Charlie, he comes of like he's deranged and violent. I think the actor who played Charlie said it best on the DVD commentary, when he said 'see how scared I'm looking in this scene? That wasn't acting.'

13. ACERIMMERROCKS

ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2001
    i dont know what to say about this i like practically all sci fi and lotr is all right dont like HP and i wish they would make more ST moovies and i hope nemises gets to nz

14. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    >>SW has the ability to show it can continue when it has followers that keep buying toys, and they only make them to scab money off these people *cough* Buzz/Chans etc *cough*.

Lisa: SFL, didn't you say you have thousands dollars worth of LOTR stuff?

You obviously didn't read and understand the WHOLE paragraph. Me collecting has nothing to do with what I was on about. I was meaning how they re-make the same figures, only slightly different. Sure they've done that with a few occasional LOTR figures, but they wont be able to keep doing this for 20+ years. And no I havn't bought all the different types of same figures from LOTR.

15. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

Star Trek: Nemesis is due for release here 10 April, 2003 (the next school holidays?). :)

16. -Winter-

Mar 12, 2002
    SFL, I did read the whole paragraph; you didn't mention the remake of same figures only the fact that Lucas is making new episodes some 20 years after the OT. So there are new figures of the *new* movies! [face_shocked] not just remakes of the old ones. Plus a lot of the older figures don't measure up to the standard of the new ones.

17. DOUBLEFRITZ

DOUBLEFRITZ Jedi Youngling

Feb 9, 2003
    I have to agree with the person here saying LOTR is just a fad.It sort of is true,it'll have a certain core group of fan's(namely NZ'ers) but it won't be like SW where it will be part of pulp culture and stay in the collective conscience.But kids today are dumb,they're too busy watching Dragonballz.So the prequels aren't helping,
    Love Newbie

18. Darth_Graal

Darth_Graal Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2001
    well we could see a prequel of LoTR in the form of the Hobbit or silmarillion (but seriously the silmarillion is soporiric to read let alone to watch), but I think PJ has already said he's not gonna do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.