main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph America's most banned books. 1 - Huh?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by halibut, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Why is peeing banned?

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    "I made up a story about a little kid who goes pee at all the wrong times"

I've not read the book, but it might be something to do with this. Parents unhappy with children laughing at peeing all over the place?

3. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Kids love poop and pee jokes, and why not?

4. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    40. Grendel - John Champlin Gardner

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8a/JohnGardner_Grendel_1st.jpg]

Grendel is a 1971 parallel novel by American author John Gardner. It is a retelling of the Anglo-Saxon epic poem Beowulf from the perspective of the antagonist, Grendel. The novel deals with finding meaning in the world, the power of literature and myth, and the nature of good and evil.

Grendel has become one of Gardner's best known and reviewed works. Several editions of the novel contain abstract woodcut images of Grendel's head, by Emil Antonucci. Ten years after publication, the novel was adapted into the 1981 animated movie Grendel Grendel Grendel.

I can see nothing to suggest why this book contraversial in the slightest...

5. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I'm sure I've read it.

6. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    it sounds very exciting.

7. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    39. In the Night Kitchen - Maurice Sendak

[image=http://lacer.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/iggle-piggle.jpg]

In the Night Kitchen is a popular and controversial children's picture book, written and illustrated by Maurice Sendak, and first published in 1970. The book depicts a young boy's dream journey through a surreal baker's kitchen where he assists in the creation of a cake to be ready by the morning.

When Mickey (who looks to be about three years old) enters the Night Kitchen, he loses his pajamas and spends much of the story fully naked.

Critics of the book object to Mickey's nudity (which explicitly depicts his penis and testicles), with some librarians drawing little pants on Mickey with a marker, or diapers with correction fluid. Some also take a Freudian interpretation of events, with the nudity, free-flowing milky fluids, and giant (allegedly phallic) milk bottle. Sendak himself claims not to have been trying to be controversial; his decision to disrobe Mickey was to avoid the "mess" that falling into the batter would make of Mickey's clothes

8. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    This is bloody ridiculous, I think. I've read the book myself, and there's nothing bannable in it.

9. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    but.....but......there's a child with no clothes on. It's an abomination to all that is pure and good!!!!

10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    You know, this really bugs me when they do this. This is about the most disingenous dodge possible; if he really didn't know it would be controversial, he's too dumb to live, I think.

It really irritates me when artists fall back on the "I had no idea it would be controversial" defense, particularly because about ninety percent of the time, it's incredibly obvious that the material in question would be controversial. Why can't he just say, "I knew it would be controversial, but art is supposed to be controversial?" Or perhaps just "It's art and beautiful, so grow up, people."

This rant is slightly off topic, but practically nothing makes me as angry in the world of art as artists acting like they were born yesterday and have no idea of what buttons are socially reactive. I mean, come on.

11. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    It's a seriously mixed up world where people would have a problem with this book. My mother is a librarian and has a huge collection of signed children's books, this being one of them. I can assure you my mother never drew pants over Mickey's little Mickey.

12. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    That's pretty much the mantra for this thread ;)

13. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Sendak can be disingenuous...of course he wanted controversy.

14. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    38. On My Honor - Marion Dane Bauer

On My Honor is a short Newbery Honor-winning novel by Marion Dane Bauer. It is about two boys, Joel and Tony, who are friends despite their very different characters. Tony, who is adventurous, challenges Joel, who is more responsible and cautious, to climb a large and dangerous cliff called Starving Rock. Joel, who knows this is unsafe and doesn't want anyone to get hurt, yet doesn't want to seem like a coward in front of Tony, suggests instead going swimming in a forbidden Vermillion River, not knowing that Tony can't swim. The boys race each other to a sand bar, but the story ends in tragedy. Tony can not swim and drowns. Joel lives with the horrible secret until Tony's father finds out. The book is frequently read in the United States as part of elementary school curricula.

The title, "On My Honor" is taken from a promise Joel makes to his father.

Can't have books with morals in them...

15. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    What's the problem with this book?

16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Probably just cause the kid dies; a lot of great books about dealing with grief and guilt get challenged because kids die in them. But that's kind of the point of them; to have a kid die and deal with it in an honest and resonant way. I find this kind of censorship more infuriating than almost any other kind. Kids have to learn about death and I'm so sick of the 'pretend it doesn't exist' mantra of our Western culture.

17. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    It might be that, but I'd have thought it was more about kids behaving badly. Same with Tom Sawyer and Lord of the Flies.

18. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I don't get it.

19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    That's because you're (reasonably? :p ) well adjusted. I think people are always trying to censor things that they never got adjusted too.

20. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    37. The Figure in the Shadows - John Bellairs

Can't find out anything about this one. It's part of a series of teenage gothic horror novels about a character called Lewis Barnavelt, but no idea why this one is singled out.

21. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Never heard of it either. I did manage to find it's Amazon page, as well as a review on MuggleNet:

Amazon
    MuggleNet review

Apparently it's the 2nd book in a series concerning the character of Lewis Barnavelt. A short summary from a user on Amazon:

Not sure why it was banned, but some comments suggest that Lewis' growing obsession with the talisman is presented as akin to drug addiction. Several reviews also point out it takes a "very frightening" turn later in the book. Without having read the book myself though it's a bit hard to nail exactly why people would have issues with it.

22. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Never heard of that one.

23. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    36. The Great Gilly Hopkins - Katherine Paterson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Gilly_Hopkins

Long story short, she's in a foster home and wants to find her mother, but she finds out her mother wants nothing to do with her. Her nan's ok though.

24. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Katherine Paterson? I know that name . . . oh, duh, Bridge to Terabithia. She's a more mature author than most who write for kids; I keep meaning to read Jacob I Have Loved, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

25. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I would guess it's the kid's racism.