Amph America's most banned books. 1 - Huh?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by halibut, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    The Old South, I'm guessing.
  2. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
  3. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    19. Christine - Stephen King

Christine is a horror novel by Stephen King, published in 1983. It tells the story of a vintage automobile apparently possessed by supernatural forces.
    Iit tells of the obsession of a teenage boy called Arnie who, being a social dropout and having only one true friend, turns to a rusted old 1958 Plymouth Fury. However it isn't long before the car's dead owner comes to haunt Arnie, his only friend, Dennis and his girlfriend , Leah. Dennis' and leah's lives are turned upside down as they attempt to rescue Arnie from the crazed grip of the car's supernatural power.
  4. Fire_Ice_Death Chosen One

star 7
    I've never read the book, but if it's anything as tame (probably not) as the movie then why is it banned?
  5. jangoisadrunk Jedi Master

star 4
    It's one of my all-time favorite books. I guess the quasi-satanic/demonic possession aspects of the story combined with the rampant juvenille delinquency and frank teen sexuality could scare ultra-conservative parents.

The juvenille delinquency and teen sexuality aren't even that bad.
  6. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 8
    Yeah, I think the reasoning behind the banning is that all the violence, drug use and sex is carried out by teens.

Good book though; it's about a billion times better than Carpenter's lame movie.
  7. xblackout Force Ghost

star 4
    Ohh, now I want to re-read this one. I read it in high school & I remember absolutely loving it. Stephen King is one of my favorite authors & this book made a completely absurd idea feel very eerie. And please, please don't base your opinion of ANY Stephen King story on a movie adaptation [especially this one & Cujo]. His books often focus a lot on psychological elements & thoughts/things that aren't conveyed well in a movie.
  8. madman007 Force Ghost

star 4
    I actually discovered Stephen King because of seeing the movie version of Christine. I was only fourteen when it came out and I was intrigued by a demonic car and loved it. Then I begged my parents to get me the book and thus it became my first adult-themed novel I'd ever read. Before that it was The Phantom Tollbooth and A Wrinkle In Time. And then I really loved it because it presented the story in such a unique way. I loved that he started out in 1st person from Dennis' POV and when he was laid up injured, King went into 3rd person to deal with Christine's attacks. Plus, the whole LeBay possessing Arnie angle was so much more interesting (and more creepy). Christine may not be King's best, but it will always be a sentimental favorite of mine. Ever since, I've been a King fan.
  9. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Why would it be banned, though? It's not as though the sex and violence is anything unusual.
  10. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    The last episode of South Park was all about banning books with people reading things into them that just aren't there. It was quite amusing
  11. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    18. The Very Hungry Caterpillar - Eric Carle

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b5/HungryCaterpillar.JPG]

he Very Hungry Caterpillar is an entertaining children's book written by Eric Carle, first published by the World Publishing Company in 1969. The winner of many awards, it has sold 30 million copies. It is highly popular and has been praised for its use of easy-to-read words which makes it good for teaching young children to read. The book contains 225 words and large, colourful illustrations. It follows a caterpillar as it munches its way through a variety of edibles such as ice cream, salami, watermelon, one slice of Swiss cheese, and a lollipop before it finally pupates and emerges as a beautiful butterfly. The story teaches counting to 5, the names of the days of the week, and about different types of food. The caterpillar's diet is a fictional fantasy but the story does introduce the splendour of the metamorphosis from egg to caterpillar to butterfly. It is widely regarded as one of the best children's books ever written.

However in recent times, it has fallen foul of the PC brigade as schools and mothers call for the book to be banned as it promotes over-eating and obesity, a problem which has come to the forefront of public attention in recent years.
  12. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
    People who want this book banned = idiots.
  13. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    This is one of the few books on the list that I actually agree with.

Whereas most of the banned books are aimed at young adults, this is aimed at young children with the message that it doesn't matter what you eat or how much you eat, you will end up being beautiful.
  14. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    .... IT'S A BOOK ABOUT A CATERPILLAR. Why are people reading way too much into it??
  15. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    The hunger strike Caterpillar
  16. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    This is so bizarre.

halibut tells me her/his response was an April Fool's joke.

I fell for it.
  17. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    A bulemic caterpillar. There is a difference.
  18. xblackout Force Ghost

star 4
    You've GOT to be kidding me. People are way too sensitive & over-analytical.
  19. Champion of the Force Force Ghost

star 4
    Epic Fail on this one (admittedly the same could be said for all the other attempted bannings, but this one is incredibly stupid).
  20. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    18. Heather Has Two Mommies - Leslea Newman

Yeah, as if The Very Hungry Caterpillar would be on the list! Twas my feeble attempt at an April Fools. The best jokes have to have an air of believability after all lol

Heather Has Two Mommies is a children's book written by Lesléa Newman with Diana Souza's illustrations, first published in 1989. It is about a child, Heather, raised by lesbian women: her biological mother, Jane, who gave birth to her after artificial insemination, and her biological mother's same-sex partner, Kate. At Heather's playgroup, her family situation is discussed simply and positively, as are those of other children in non-traditional family units.

Lesléa Newman related: ? The idea for Heather came about one day when I was walking down Main Street in Northampton, Mass., a town known for its liberalism, tolerance of difference, and large lesbian population. On this particular day I ran into a woman who, along with her female partner, had recently welcomed a child into their home. "We have no books to read our daughter that show our type of family," the woman said. "Somebody should write one."
  21. Champion of the Force Force Ghost

star 4
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Wow we got suckered there. Although in my defense due to time differences your post was posted on April 2nd so the jokes back on you. :p :D
  22. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 8
    That was a good one, dude! It was, in fact, completly believable, so stupid have some of the books on this list been!
  23. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
  24. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    I did, too. Now *that's* an April Fool's joke. Both believable and witty.[face_laugh]
  25. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    No shocks with the Heather and two mommies book at all?