main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amidala changes clothes every two seconds. What is she thinking?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by SW3TheHolidaySpecial, Nov 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SW3TheHolidaySpecial

SW3TheHolidaySpecial Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2001
    Now it is well established that I don't much care for Padme's character. In AOTC she spreads stupid onto situations like I spread peanut butter on to to bread.

So this got me thinking, Padme is well established as not being very bright in AOTC. So I thought about her characterization in TPM and I noticed in TPM she is portrayed as being at least,kinda smart....but then it hit me!

Throughout many treacherous situations she is getting dressed up,again and again,and yes,again.

This to me,says that she cares more about fashion then she does about her situations.

Almost every time we see her she is in new garb, and while I think the REAL reason for this is to sell more toys, it clearly makes this character seem non-caring and way too fashion conscious!

Discuss.

2. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    So this got me thinking, Padme is well established as not being very bright in AOTC. So I thought about her characterization in TPM and I noticed in TPM she is portrayed as being at least,kinda smart....but then it hit me!

This is the first I've heard of Padmé not being very bright, care to show us your 'well established' evidence?

3. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    >>>Amidala changes clothes every two seconds. What is she thinking?

Probably "does my bum look big in this?"

8-}

4. SW3TheHolidaySpecial

SW3TheHolidaySpecial Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2001
    There is no well established evidence of Padme not being very bright. It is well established that I don't care for her character.

But I think I know what you're getting at. If you want to know why I think Padme is stupid, the following is a list of reasons.

1.She is against the creation of a military when the seperatists are about to attack.

2.She leaves Jar Jar in charge.

3.She excuses murder after hearing a confession.

4.She marries the murderer.

5.She changes clothes every two seconds in perilous situations.

5. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Many of her clothes changes are not in perilous situations at all. (e.g. when the ship is traveling through hyperspace).

Also, some of the changes are for Padme-Sabe switches.

Rick McCallum loves you!

6. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Considering the movie takes place over a period of several days, I would hope she would change clothes. And when she changes more than once during the same day, part of the time its for the decoy switches. And part of the time its because the situation calls for a change, like the senate scene for example.

7. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Its the right time to bring this up, nearly 5 years on ;)

Don't forget she changes her voice as well 8-}

8. HandmaidenAnde

HandmaidenAnde Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 25, 2001
    Most of the costume changes make since within the context of the story and decoy deception.

You don't notice it's an entirely different person you may be talking to because all you see is the elaborate gown and ornate headpiece. She has to draw attention away from the Sabé switch. The Flame dress won't work on Tatooine, so you need to change clothes. You must be able to run and fight, so you've got your Battle outfits, complete with one for your decoy. You need something celebratory for the Parade, hence the white dress.

I think the only changes that are questionable are a few on Coruscant. She does wear four different gowns there: Pre-Senate, Sentate, Post-Senate, and one for the return home. Perhaps only one gown could have been used here.

I love the costumes, so the changes never really bothered me. (Although once someone pointed out the white jumpsuit may not have been appropriate for Shmi's funeral, that irked me a bit.) However, the costume change that has bugged since I was 11 years-old is Leia's Ewok outfit. They just happend to have a dress in her size? ;)

MTFBWY,
    Andé :)

9. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Amidala changes clothes every two seconds. What is she thinking?

She is a girl. :p

10. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003

You see this is why I like Princess Leia, she doesn't need to change her clothes every two seconds.
    Look at ANH - she wears the same outfit all the way thru - she's shot by stormtroopers, tortured, she has to watch her planet being blown up (she probably filled her pants at that point!), she has another gun battle, then she spends half-hour sloshing about in raw sewage, get chased around the Death Star, is in a life or death space battle, and when she gets to Yavin does she go and get changed ? Hell, no. And when the lads get back from the DS she still gets a big kiss and a hug, no matter how bad she smells.
    Now that's a real woman.

Padme - Hah! If she spent less time thinking about clothes she might not make dumb mistakes like getting rid of Vallorum when it served her no good and giving JJB her place in the Senate.

And you could have a drink with Leia, she's the sort that you'd find good company, you could chat about guns and killing. But with Padme it'd be all talk about politics and clothes, and then she'd have to "retire" early anyway.
    Leia wouldn't, she'd be there til the early hours drinking with the lads.
    Padme's just a girl, Leia's a real woman!!

g

11. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    Come on, people.

Having Padme wear different costumes throughout both prequal movies is to point out the fact that she's the only character that doesn't wear the same clothes the entire movie like the other characters do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.