main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Amidala's Gowns (part 2)

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by kreleia, Sep 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Funny--Maggie and I were just discussing that darn "Petal Cape". I was originally in the camp that they must have turned them and they would have had them trimmed very closely. (especially in the documentary where it shows them being pressed and steamed) But then, they look so light and airy---I personally cannot imagine just cutting them and going---I would have nothing but a frayed mess. Of course I am addicted to Fray check. Hmmmm..... I wonder if you could made a fray check type solution to strengthen the fabric and reduce the fraying. Of course, fray check does alter the way that material accepts dye--so I would say that you would have to dye the material---then treat it, then cut it. Or even sew the shapes on THEN cut the petal edges. If I was going to do that much work--I would want to know it's going to look good for a while.

It's so lovely.... [face_love] ~ Ferd

2. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Ooops--Double Post [face_devil]
    ~Ferd
    Thanks SG! Great tip!! :)

3. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    If you iron your fabric with a good stiff hold hairspray (I like Sebastian Shaper Plus), it will reduce fraying to some degree. It won't eliminate it completely, especially if you're wearing the costume out and about alot, but for something (like the film version) where it's being handled with extreme care, it does the trick for a while, especially on stiffer fabrics.

Definitely a test-first thing, though, because some fabrics will discolor with this treatment.

-sg

4. Surferdude017

Surferdude017 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 27, 2002
    Hey fellow Amidala fanatics. I was just at www.padawansguide.com reviewing the pictures of the pre senate and senate gown costumes on display at different exhibits. On the pre senate gown I was checking out the pictures and I have noticed something odd. You can see this on other pictures on that page, but especially the third picture of Diane's digital pic set. If you look at the sleeves you will notice that ah the inside upper arm, there is no seam, but it has overlapping layers. Front half of sleeve over back half:0. I'm guessing they made it that way to help the sleeves lay flat and straight even if she is sitting. Anyone else agree with me? Oooooo I hope I am right!!!
    Surferdude

5. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    :D Actually, there is a seam, it's just very well hidden. In pics that I've recently lost (due to computer crashing), sg and I were able to find a raglan-style seam (sleeves sewn on the diagonal up to the neck line, like a baseball jersey). The way the dress actually hangs on Natalie makes it virtually impossible to see, not to mention the beads from the headdress draping over it.

6. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
  7. Surferdude017

Dec 27, 2002
    That's not the seam I meant. I knew the shoulder seam was a raglan sleeve. I am talking about I'm talking about the place on the inside of the bicep. It overlaps and is not sewn together. That is what i meant.

www.padawansguide.com/C2/kimono/diane9.jpg

go there and look at the part of the sleeve just above the inner sleeve on both sleeves and you will see what I mean.

Surferdude

8. queenseamstress

queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Jan 30, 2002
    Actually I believe it IS sewn together-just very high up from the arpit area to mid-bicep, and then it opens up slightly and gets fuller and fuller until it reaches the bottom. They made the opening so high up so that when Nat sits with her hands crossed together, the sleeves straighten out-wish they could have done that with the mannequins arms! lol
    If they were totally open from the armpit down, then due to the weight of the sleeve it would lay closer to the body of the gown, and you could not see the area of the back half of the sleeve-it is visible because of the placement of the mannequins arms-they are straight and slightly forward and it is pulling the back of the sleeve forward a bit with it, making the seam visible. If it were not sewn together, the back half would not come forward.
    There is the raglan seam that Surlygirlie and kreliea noticed about a year ago, and then there is a seam on the outer edge of each sleeve-the rounded outside shape. This was really the only way to achieve that rounded shape, you can't fold the fabric in that shape. I think the decorations of the gown were placed as to make the gown look "seamless." It is totally lined with the same fabric as the outside so that the bottom turned out edges show no seams or hem as well as the neckline, etc. having no seam line where you turned it under, the raglan seam is hidden by the beaded headpiece strands, and the outer sleeve seam is hidden by the heavy beading and embroidery. They seams on the inner part of the sleeve were also hidden in the film by the positionig of Nat's hands.
    My gown was fully lined, and I believe SG's was as well-all I have to say is that it achieves the proper effect-but it is heavy, and EXPENSIVE.
    QS

9. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    I think it's seamed, also.
    One thing about the fabric on this costume, I have noticed, is that seams do tend to camouflage themselves a bit, so sometimes what looks like a fold is actually a stitch line. I agree with QS, if there were no seam there, the sleeve would most likely have a tendency to collapse.

As a corollary to this subject, though, I FINALLY finished the embroidery on the sleeves of my redo kimono, and overall, I'm quite pleased with it. It's put aside again because other costumes are higher priority right now, but one day when I get a couple of free hours, I'll get it all assembled and be done with it. Hooray!

-sg

10. queenseamstress

queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Jan 30, 2002
    I cannot wait to see it!!! I want to redo mine as well...to get a little better shape to the sleeves, add a bit more or a "train" in the back, and add some more beaded strands to my headpiece...but, like you, I have toom many irons in one fire right now to work on it!!!
    QS

11. Surferdude017

Dec 27, 2002
    LOL ;D that's exactly what I meant. I just said it really oddly now that I read over it.

12. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
  13. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Sola, it's absolutely grand! Beautiful job :)

I was watching TPM last night and when this costume came onscreen I thought about you and how I've been looking forward to pictures of your completed gown. You certainly delivered the goods! WooHoo! :D

14. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    I've never really liked this outfit in the movie, but your recreation is gorgeous!

15. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    Thanks ladies! :) I really enjoyed making this costume!

16. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    Sola, wonderful job!
    You look glorious and regal gliding about in your beautiful creation!

-sg

17. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Wow, your gown is really stunning! This is really one of my favourite TPM gowns, and you have made it so well. :)

18. Maleficant

Maleficant Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 16, 2002
    Sola that dress is fantastic. I plan on making the same dress after xmas. I may want to pick your brain for tips. :)

19. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    Thanks again everyone! [face_blush]

Maleficant, yup, go ahead and pick my brain about the costume when you start it!

20. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    It's a beauty! :)

21. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    oh WOW Sola!!! :D That turned out SO beautiful!! NICE!!!

heh, and now that I've seen your hair and tiara updates for the parade gown too, I wish to ask... how did you manage the hair for the white parade gown!?? [face_laugh] hmmm... I'm gonna have to put together a hair-piece for that eventually, I think... **sigh**

22. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    Thanks kreleia! For the Parade hairpiece, I used two "ponytail" pieces, and lots of those little clips and tiny 'invisible' elastics. I just folded them over and put the elastic there for the outside loop, and then clipped them in place in the centre section, and tried to hide the clips with more loops of hair.

I'll send you pics I took of the piece by itself to the email in your profile!

23. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    awesome!! thanks!! :)

24. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    Hi! I'm new to making the episode one gowns, and for costume con I've begun the process of making the white parade gown. For those who have made this wonderful gown, some advice on what you found best would be most grateful.
    While shopping for fabrics, I found a problem. I wanted the weave of a silk ciffon, but the body of poly organza, but has a irodescent shimmer to it, or some kind of shine to it. Has anyone found fabric like that? I'm new to costuming, and to sewing in genral as well so I don't know if my description is well. Also, what is a yardage estimate to make the 300 petals for the cape? I'm going to be dying my fabric, and I honestly have no idea exactly how much fabric I would need to be purchasing to make the petals.
    My last question, and a stupid one at that. How does one attach the parasol?

Thanks!
    ~Laura

25. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    Great choice, jedilucass!

I didn't actually count how many yards I used for the petals, but for a quick mental guess-timate I would say around 16-20 yards.

I did count petals just a week or so ago when I was ironing them all individually in order to wear the costume again, and there are 300+ petals. Lots of cutting. To keep the ends from fraying, Fray Check (I think it's called) is good, or if you have a serger, that's a possibility too.

I personally didn't want a slight sheen to the fabric, but that's just me. I used sheer drapery fabric in shades of cream, cream/rose, and cream/yellow. It did get a bit heavy though - so organza or chiffon would be my choice if I did this gown again.

My most successful attaching of the parasol was just 2 pins straight through the parasol into the cape at the back, going from the outside in, pointing the pin towards you. One at the nape of the neck, from the centre of the parasol, and one at the bottom of the parasol to keep it from spinning. Just those pins that you get that have a sort of clip like an earring backing (only bigger), that you pinch to release.

Please keep us updated with your progress!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.