main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Amidala's Gowns (part 2)

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by kreleia, Sep 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naboo_Girl

Naboo_Girl Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2003
    Your cape turned out very beautiful, Jedilucass!!! I can't wait to see photos of the finish costume!

2. LadyNaberrie

LadyNaberrie Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    Okay!! I am going to attempt my hand on the Parade dress and I was looking at everyone's BEAUTIFUL job on all of them. Anyone who has any advice for me you can PM me or just reply back. I'm also going to be tackling the Deleted AOTC Dark Senate Dress. Hopefully before Celebration III.

3. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    jedilucass, it looks stunning. :)

4. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Looks amazing so far jedilucass!

5. LadyNaberrie

Feb 7, 2002
    Okay, question about the dye colors that jedilucass used, what brand and colors did you use?

6. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    Thanks everyone for the compliments! :) The dye I used was regular RIT dye in rose pink and golden yellow. You can buy it at almost any grocery store. Hope that helps!

7. LadyNaberrie

Feb 7, 2002
    YAY! Thank you!! :) Post pictures as soon as I get started

8. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Y'know, I had an interesting thought the other day. Laura (jedilucass) mentioned using a bicycle wheel frame for the parasol. I was in a medical equipment supply store the other day, and for whatever reason started looking hard at the construction on the wheels of wheelchairs. They're pretty similar to a bicycle, and they have that angled "bend" that the parasol has. Not to mention, if you want to get really detail picky, the spokes have that thicker piece on them towards the center (this is really noticeable in the Costumes video of the Ep 1 DVD). It got me thinking that it might be possible to use a wheelchair frame for the parasol piece too.

Of course, find one used or something. heh. Just a thought...

:)

9. jedilucass

Dec 1, 2002
    Thought I'd just post an update of my parade gown.
    I'm almost done with the mock up! Seeming that this is the fist garment I have ever sewn, it looks really good! I just have to hem it, and finish the sides on the tabard down the middle. At last, my dress fabric search is over. I bought dull satin in a slightly off white/ivory color yesterday at Hancocks for 6.99 a yard. It doesn't have the shine I wanted, but it's the perfect color, so I'm a happy camper. I've got a month and a week to finish it, and I'm pretty confident I can.

10. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    WOOHOO!!! And, hey, don't worry about the shine factor. ;) I'm sure it will turn out better than you think. Isn't it nice to know that your patience and persistence in the fabric hunt payed off too? Yay!! I can hardly wait to see pics of your finished dress!!

11. jedilucass

Dec 1, 2002
    I have now figured out that I bought the wrong size pattern that I used for my mockup... I have now learned to check the measurements on things... all wonderful things to learn as a begining seamstress. I did, however, find a much better pattern that is the same as the one I had, except I don't have to alter it! *does a happy dance* It's Butterick 6930, view D, with B's sleeves. D is a sleeveless dress that flares out slightly at the end, and B's sleeves are long sleeve. It's really good!

12. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    ah yes... I've had that happen. In fact, I just finished off the dress that happened with the other night. The poor unfinished dress had been hanging in my spare-room closet for over two years, and I finally decided it needed to be taken care of. So, it's done now, and I'll probably donate it or something. Still, it's good sewing experience.

:)

13. jadedknights

jadedknights Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 26, 2002
    This thread's incredible and keeps getting longer! I have a problem. I am making a first run at Amidala's pre-senate head piece and had a question about the egg-shaped pieces.

Are they angled away from her head and cover her ear? When I made the bottom arc, they are angled, and its hard to hide the hollow inside. How would I attach these things? Everythings almost done, but I can't get the eggs to sit right. Thanks!

Jenni

14. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    I'm not entirely sure I'm getting the full gist of your question, but...

for my eggs, I attached them via velcro to the arcs, at both the front and the back of them. This made it easier to slip on, and gave it a little bit of adjustability, which helped alot. This also means I always need someone to help me put it on though, so they can check and make sure everything's lined up correctly at the back and that nothing's peaking out that's not supposed to. The eggs cover my ears, and are angled slightly outward at the top.

-sg

15. jadedknights

Nov 26, 2002
    Thanks, Surly, that helps. I wasn't too sure if they were angled away from her face. I made paper-mache eggs to practice with before destroying anything, and the hollow insides make it more difficult to attach. Ah, the miracle of velcro... :)

Jenni

16. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    I found that the hollow eggs really worked to advantage, for me... they overlap the edges of the lower arcs just a bit (that overlap area is where the velcro is attached).
    Does that make sense?

17. jadedknights

Nov 26, 2002
    You know, after playing with it some more, it started to make sense. I was making too much of an angle on my lower arc, and the velcro does wonders. I like the way it works! I love the fact that everyone here can be so nice to help others out. Thanks so very much :)

Jenni

18. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    My pleasure!

I hope you'll share pictures of your costume with us when you're done!

19. jadedknights

Nov 26, 2002
    You bet! :) I'm doing my best working my fingers off...all I can say now, is that I think I'll never do pearls again after this. :)

Jenni

20. LadySonnet

LadySonnet Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2003
    I read through this entire thread and didn't see any mention of it, but I thought I would check-

Does anyone know of someone who has attempted making the black post-senate dress from Ep. 1? This one.

I'd love to hear about how anyone else attempted it. I'm thinking about making it for an upcoming con. (Well, to be honest, I was thinking of another outfit originally, but then two of my girlfriends said they'd be handmaidens to my Amidala, and of course they chose the 'burgandy cloak' version - the HM costumes that go with some of the more intricate costumes in the movie... and I don't have the wherewithal to try the kimono dress right now! :) )

Any tips or advice? Especially on the hair would be great, although I do have some ideas on that.

Thank you!

Sonnet

21. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh Sonnet, I just adore that costume. :) It's one of those costumes that I've always thought would be one I'd like to tackle someday....lol.
    I was excited to see the beading pics on Maggie's site the other day and I'm confident you would be the one to figure out a good way to do that hair!

I have no advice on it right now, just wanted to share the love for it. :p

22. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    It'd be so great if someone attempted the Amidala post-Senate gown! I don't really have any suggestions on the hair, but there's a girl who's done a ton of different hairstyles and you might get ideas from how she did it. Though you'd probably want to use wig hair rather than your own..

http://geocities.com/starfilly714/ep1hair.html

http://www.geocities.com/starfilly714/ep1directions.html

And of course, I'm willing to take suggestions on making the costume for the website! :)

I thought those beading pics were really good. I'm not sure where Adi got them!

Maggie

23. LadySonnet

LadySonnet Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2003
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, Obi-Dawn!

And yeah, I think I will be using a wig. I have a lot of hair on my own, but I'll be using that to beef up the braid on top.

Here's a problem that people can help me solve though - My husband and I can't agree on the color of the sleeve lining. He says it's blue/grey, and I say it's blue/green. What do you folks think?

Sonnet

24. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    WOOHOO!! Glad to see someone tackling this dress - it's gorgeous! I don't think I've ever seen a fan-version. :)

Anyway, the sleeve lining looks like a blue/dark-grey irridescent fabric to me. Possibly silk?? I was just checking out the pics on Maggie's site, and that's how it appears on my monitor. Of course, all monitors are slightly different in their color adjustments. At the moment, it's a tad late, and I'm too tired to look at the DVD, but based on those pics, I'd go with the blue/dark-grey.

Good luck with this!! Keep us posted on your progress! :D

EDIT: Okay, I really want Starfilly's hair now. NOT FAIR! :p But cool tutorials. :D

25. jedilucass

Dec 1, 2002
    Okay...just a question for you parade gown people... when attaching the fabric to the umbrella, what was the way you did it? I was thinking of hand sewing it around the frame, but if there is another way, I'm open to hear it!

I've got about 8 out of 18 finneles made. I'm making them by hand with silver polyclay bought at Hobby Lobby for 2$ and change per block. I bought two... just think, less than four more weeks until I have to have this costume done! CostumeCon looks like it is going to be a lot of fun. I just need to fix my problems with the dress pattern, and sew that up (it's a fast and easy sewing pattern,I should be able to finish over spring break). ANd I have to make the glowing peace ball...

Good luck, LadySonnet! I always liked that costume, and the hair that goes with it!

~Laura

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.