main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Amidala's Gowns (part 2)

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by kreleia, Sep 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Hi Laura -

I hand sewed the fabric to the frame for the parasol. It ended up going pretty fast. I just did invisible stitches between the two folded over edges.

Can't wait to see your finished costume! I'm really curious to see your peace ball too!

Edit: speaking of Amidala's gowns - I was in a fabric store the other day getting non-costume stuff. They're having this big sale, and their velvet is on for 50% off, so $10 a metre. I can't stop thinking that I should get it and re-do my Return to Naboo overcoat....

Oh no! I've succumbed to the "I can always make it better" zone!

But really, how could I pass up velvet for $10 a metre??!?!!?

2. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh no! I've succumbed to the "I can always make it better" zone!

Welcome. I hope you enjoy your stay. [face_mischief]

3. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    I second Dawn's evil sentiments.
    ;)

4. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    I hand-sewed the edges of mine together as well, but I was never completely satisfied with how it looked (hence, the reason I don't have pictures of it). I'm *still* considering ideas for this... **sigh**

5. LadySonnet

LadySonnet Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2003
    Well, I think I might just be nuts, but I've officially started on the post-senate gown. I decided to use a crushed high-pile velvet instead of the monkey fur* it seems they used on the actual gown, but I think the visual effect will be about the same.

Here's my progress so far-

Original beadwork:
    [image=http://dragonfly.cx/coppermine/albums/Sonnet_PostSenateGown/bead2.jpg]

And here's my version:
    [image=http://dragonfly.cx/coppermine/albums/Sonnet_PostSenateGown/normal_Sonnet_PostSenateGown_beadwok1.jpg]

And I'm pretty sure the images of the original beadwork came from the Ep. 1 DVD from the "Costumes" featurette.

Sonnet

*No monkeys were harmed during the filming of SW:Ep. 1.

6. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    Looks like you're off to a beautiful start, Sonnet!
    Please keep us posted on your progress.
    :)

7. Naboo_Girl

Naboo_Girl Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2003
    Yay Sonnet!!! I'm so glad that you are making this gown. It has always been my favorite from TMP and it will be great seeing a fan version of it. Your beading you've done so far looks fantasic!!! And yes, you must keep us updated with your progress. :)

8. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    The beading looks fantabulous Sonnet! You're off to a great start, you quick little monkey! ;)

Does anyone know exactly what type of fabric/fur was used for this costume? I've seen it called mink faux fur at Maggie's site. Anyone know for certain?

9. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    Your beading looks totally AMAZING LadySonnet!!!

10. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Hahaha, monkey fur! :) LOL!

Sonnet - your beading rocks!! It looks terrific!

To be honest, I have no idea what kind of fur that is - unless Trisha said it, it's just anyone's guess. And I can't remember if the fur thing came from a confirmed source or someone speculating - and I'm too lazy to go check right now.

Sonnet - you have to let me post some of your progress on my site! I'm excited someone is doing this costume!! :)

Maggie

11. LadySonnet

LadySonnet Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2003
    :eek:

:D

I've been out sick for a while, and I come back to the wonderful suprise of all the nice things you all said about my beadwork! Thank you thank you!! <blush>

The nice thing about being sick, however, was even though I was in pain and coughing, I could still work on more beadwork! I got a few more panels done in my infirmity.

And about the fur... I obviously was kidding about the monkey fur, but I don't think it behaves like mink either... Mink is too smooth, and this fabric seems more shaggy. Like muppet fur (or 'monster' fur, you know that stuff?). But better quality, of course. You get a few different looks at it on the "costumes featurette", even GL holding a swatch of it, but the material is so dark, you can't see much beyond 'shaggy'. This is one of the better glimpses of the fabric, but you still can't tell much... and I can't help but think of feathers, almost, when I see it. But I'm pretty sure it isn't feathers. :)

Since it was obscure enough, and I didn't have much time to look for 'just perfect fur', that's why I'm going with a deep crushed velvet.

And Maggie, feel free to post whatever you like of my stuff on your site. I'd be honored - your site is one of my favorite pages to visit.

Sonnet

12. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Hi Sonnet, I hope you're feeling better. :)

I think your decision to go with a crushed velvet is just fine for this costume. It will still give it that luxurious feel, and well...velvet is prettier. [face_mischief]

13. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    There is a way to make silk fur, for anyone feeling especially ambitious...
    it involves sewing 3-7 layers of silk (other fabrics work, too, but will give less luxurious results) onto a backing fabric, like a trigger or twill, in a 1" grid pattern. Then, cut open each little square in an X, leaving the backing fabric uncut. Run your hands over it several times to start it puffing up a little. Throw it in the wash (it could take several runs through to get the texture you desire) and it comes out fluffed up and furry.
    I've also used this technique making just 1" channels along the fabric and cutting through the middle, which works, but definitely leaves the rows visible.

All that being said, I too think the deep pile velvet is an excellent choice. :)

14. Sci-FiGal

Sci-FiGal Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2004
    I'm new to posting on the board (been a lurker for a long time) but not new to costumes, so I thought I'd chime in here... I'm working on a number of SW related costumes, but my two Amidala gowns are the Fireside Corset gown and... the Clone Wars animated microseries gown, from the end of the first episode. I saw it and thought 1)that's a great dress with lots of room to elaborate on cuse of the limited detail and 2)pearls, I love pearls, and that ones gotem!

15. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    Welcome Sci-FiGal!

You'll find that we have a great many wonderful, talented, creative, helpful people here. :)
    Be sure to show us pictures of your creations! We LOVE pictures!

16. jadedknights

jadedknights Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 26, 2002
    LadySonnet, I cannot wait to see your masterpiece when you're finished! The beaded parts are lovely.

Surly, I hate to ask another kimono headdress question, but what size beads did you use for fringe? I don't want to get them too small, any advice is good! :)

Jen

17. Sci-FiGal

Sci-FiGal Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2004
    Thanks for the welcome surlygirlie! I've put my sw costume page perminately in my sig.

There is some wonderful work here, I must say. It's great to be in the company of such talented costumers, that are SW fans, major plus! :)

18. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    jadedknights, always feel free to ask questions! I'm glad to help when I can.

The fringe beads on mine ranged from teeny seed beads up to 3/8" in diameter (though there were only a few of those). For the most part, I used beads that were right around 4-6mm.

Sci-FiGal, you have so many fun costumes!

19. jadedknights

jadedknights Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 26, 2002
    Thank you, surly. I just don't want to feel like a pest or anything. :) I think in another post, someone said the beads and the cap were all ivory, when they saw the orginial at CII, correct?

Jen

20. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    You know, I'm not sure one way or the other...
    Maybe one of the lucky gals who has seen this gown in person could enlighten us (I have yet to be so fortunate!)

21. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Okay, I had to run in here and post this - mainly because I ran across it completely by accident. There is ONE - yes ONE - fan-costume of the post-senate gown. Apparently it made an appearance at Dragon*Con in 2000. :eek: !!!! No wonder no one knew of its existence!! I honestly don't know how you'd find this person, since the page doesn't list a name for the girl wearing it. All I know is she did an amazing job! Dunno how accurate it is, but it looks like she spent a lot of time on it, definitely!

Dragon*Con 2000, Friday

22. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Wow, she did a nice job with the hair. :)

23. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    What an amazing job she did - great find kreleia!

24. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    I'm almost completed with the umbrella for my parade gown costume..just need to figure out how to bake the finials(they are made of polyclay, and were in the oven for three hours today and were still soft) and the swirls in glitter glue. That leaves me a week and a half to figure out how tor re-size my pattern... does anyone have any tips? It's too small in the bust, and I'd like it a little more looser everywhere else...

25. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Wow - that is a great Amidala costume (the DragonCon 2000 one). Maybe I could either put it or a link to it up on my site and see if we can get whoever it is to email in. Do you know who took the pic?

Laura - sounds like you're making good progress! As for your pattern issues - maybe you could try cutting out a muslin where you use different pattern sizes for the bust and waist/hips? If there aren't enough "size lines" on the pattern, you could improvise how big to make it - and then baste it together and try it on you inside out and pin the seams where it's too big - or mark where it's too small. It may take a couple of iterations, but you should eventually get something that will fit your dimensions. I usally do this even if I'm cutting out a pattern all in the same size because my figure might not nessarily fit the pattern's dimensions. Plus, more often than not, I'm jamming pieces from different patterns together or just making my own - so this is something I"ve done often..

Good luck! I know your costume will be lovely!!

Maggie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.