main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Amidala's Gowns (part 2)

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by kreleia, Sep 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    I have sucessfully finished my parade gown! It won a workmaship award at CostumeCon 22 for my "gentle use of color". Go me! Here's a link to the pics-sorry about the cut and paste.

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/padme8604/album?.dir=/laura%27s+parade+gown

2. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    jedilucass, it looks fantastic!! Congrats on your win too - that's awesome!! WOOHOO!!

3. LadySonnet

LadySonnet Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2003
    Whew! After a crazy month, I finished my 'Post-Senate' gown just in time to enter it into the masquerade at Norwescon this weekend! (I was stitching the beaded panels onto it during the day on Saturday - hee!)

Here is a good picture Jedi Kai took of it:

[image=http://images5.fotki.com/v68/photos/4/42813/848361/amidala3-vi.jpg]

Yeah, I know my head was a little crooked, but we'll fix that for next time. ;) And I also made the costume of the handmaiden on the left of the picture. My pictures are a little dark (dim lights backstage), but here are more pictures of the costumes.

And, um, yeah, I won "Workmanship: Best Recreation" and "Best in Class: Novice". :D Which is a miracle, because look at what else was in my class!. (He won best in show, by the way. :)) But I won a membership to Costume Con next year, so now I have an excuse to go!

Sonnet

4. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    OMG Lady Sonnet! Your costume is just absolutely gorgious!
    I'm stunned! I just don't know what to say.....*gasp*

5. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    It turned out great, Sonnet!
    Wonderful job, and congrats on your prize!

6. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Terrific job, Sonnet! I can't believe you finished it so quickly - weren't you just beading the pieces for it, like, yesterday? :) Congrats!

(And that pic of the treeherder entry is impressive too!)

Maggie

7. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Fabulous job! Both costumes look great--Congrats on your win!!

~Ferd :)

8. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Holy incredibleness LadySonnet! Your costume is fantastic - great job! You did the hair perfectly too!

9. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    Sonnet, your costume looks amazing! Congrats on your wins! You earned them!

~Laura

10. LadySonnet

LadySonnet Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2003
    Thanks everybody!

Yeah, I was beading new panels just a few days ago... I was on an incredibly short schedule for this one (did I mention I was, apparently, insane? ;) ).

Sometimes I just get a bug and I'll go crazy with a project. I have the good fortune right now to be unemployed, have no children to take care of (excepting the cats), and a wonderful husband that supports my costuming habit, all of which leads to having my days wide open to work on crazy things like this. :)

Now on to making my R. Dorothy costume for Sakura-Con (in two weeks)!

Sonnet

11. Naboo_Girl

Naboo_Girl Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2003
    Oh, your gown is incredible, Sonnet!!! Gorgeous work! I can't believe you got it done so soon. Congratulations on your win.

Your handmaidens' cloaks are really good too!!

12. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Indeed Sonnet - the gown is fantastic!! You really did an incredible job, especially for your time-frame. VERY impressive!! I like the plush velvet too - from the pics, it looks wonderful, and just like the original (from the way it reflects light and how it photographs). Congrats on your accomplishment and your win!!

13. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Congrats on your win, JediLucass! You look beautiful and your award was well deserved. :)

Sonnet! It's just gorgeous! I'm thrilled to see it finsihed so quickly. Congrats on your win too! ;)

14. Mithrilanna

Mithrilanna Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2004
    *gapes at the sheer coolness* Lady Sonnet, you did that in such a short time! Its gorgeous...congrats!

Hi! I'm new here, I was referred to this thread from the Handmaidens thread because I want to make the black invasion gown...and need all the help I can get. (sorry...that was a really long sentence and probably a grammatical nightmare) They said that surlygirlie & Nostradamus both did awesome recreations.

Teach me oh amazing masters of the sewing machine! *kneels in the prescence of obvious superiors*

15. Mithrilanna

Apr 25, 2004
    Oh! and my name's Kat...I'm not so good at introductions...lol

16. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    Welcome Kat! Glad to have you join us!

There are a couple of threads that will probably help with info on the black travel gown in addition to this one:

Sabe Decoy Black Travel Gown Feather Headdress

and

Naboo Queen Gowns...HELP!

Those will give you a fair amount of general information to get started with. Beyond that, ask all the questions you like!

17. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Ahhh...the Sabé Decoy Black Travel Gown thread fell off my radar. Good one girlie! Maybe it should be added to the index?

18. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    It's on the list, Dawn!

Edit: to avoid confusion, it's on the list of threads to include in the next update; it's not already there.
    :)

19. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
  20. Mithrilanna

Apr 25, 2004
    okay...awesome! thanks...it seems that Naboo gown thread is locked...what is the undergown made of? Also, surlygirl, how did you make the lace? Its gorgeous...

okay, so pleated velvet, is it starched or edge stitched to get the sort of bristle look on the sleeves and over skirt?

How you don't mind me picking your brain... ^_^

21. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Surly's Black Amidala gown is amazing - I saw it at DCon and I was so impressed! That's one of my favorite Amidala costumes as well! That and the red senate one with the funky mongolian headdress! :)

I have plenty of reference images here:

http://www.padawansguide.com/black_invasion.shtml

and some exhibit photos - maybe they will be useful?

:)

Maggie

22. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    Mithrilanna, I unlocked the Naboo Gowns thread, and bumped it as well.

I edge stitched the pleats in my velvet to help keep them a bit rigid (though even so, they still want to lie flat a lot of the time).

The lace was made pretty much the same way as the film version: water soluble stabilizer, satin stitched to make the design. I think I went over the stitching 4 times in the end to get it beefed up enough. It's quite sturdy now.

In fact, this gown is one of my easiest in terms of care and transport -- I keep it in a Rubbermade bin, folded around the underskirt with the headdress resting on top. I usually just pull it out, give it a shake and a little steam, and it's ready to go.

And feel free to pick my brain any time. :)
    Mind the thorns, though. ;)

23. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    That's all satin stitched!? **faints** No wonder you sent that poor machine to the scrap-heap! :eek: :eek: (and, I'm not sure how I missed that detail before, because I'm sure you've mentioned it).

Just out of curiosity sg, did you draw out the lace pattern in lines first and then satin-stitch over it? or did you just let your machine and stitching run amok? ;)

24. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    I just stitched randomly -- I had a close up of the lace from the film taped to the wall over my sewing machine so I could look up at it for a vague guide on the randomness, which I know seems like a paradox.
    :p

25. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Paradox, yes... but I still understand what you mean. :D Must be that whole "costumer's insanity" thing we all seem to share. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.