main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Amidala's Gowns (part 2)

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by kreleia, Sep 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Just thought I'd let you guys know that it looks like a picture of Padme in the picnic dress will be on the cover of Vanity Fair. I'm not sure when it comes out, but hopefully there will be a full length shot of it inside the magazine! Woo! Hoo!

[image=http://natalieportmanphotos.homestead.com/files/ET4.jpg]

2. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    I want that magazine now.

3. Princess1

Princess1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    Yes! Yes! YES! I am sooooooo happy! (Ok I'll calm down now.) I finnaly found the fabric for the rainbow dress, and a pattern for the skirt and everything (by the way, thanks kreleia, I bought that pattern for the skirt that you told me about) any way, actually I'm just waiting for my pink chiffion, I had to order it to get the right color, all they had was this yucky salmon color! But the cost of the fabric is amazing (ok, scary more like it) I'll end up spending over a 100 dollars on fabric! (ouch!) But thank goodness, I'm taking advanced sewing etc in school. I can turn in the recipt as expense's in a school project. I'm really glad, I could never afford that much on fabric other wise!

4. queenseamstress

queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Jan 30, 2002
    Hi,
    You guys have helped me on another thread- I am doing the presenate gown and headpiece. My husband is going to get me the DVD here soon-before I tear up the vhs tape with the pausing! Pics off the printer from the computer just don't do it justice! ha ha ha
    To recap-I have most of the beaded strands done-I have done 5 different types of strands, and I have made my own pattern for the dress with an altered kimono patern-made wider at the bottom, and changed the sleeves...I am getting ready to have the cast made of my head so I can work on the headpiece better-should I trust my husband??? I am also doing his costume for Celebration II-he wants to be a tie-fighter pilot from ANH.
    Please keep this thread alive! We can all help each other immensely!!
    Queenseamstress

5. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    [image=http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/news/2002/02/img/vanityfair_bg.jpg]

:D :D :D :D

This dress is more beautiful than I thought it would be! I want it!!! The issue goes on sale next week. :)

6. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    That is just about the most gorgeous gown I've ever seen in a Star Wars film.

7. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Perhaps you can make it yourself after you've finished the Zam Wesell costume, Sil.

:D

8. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    That is a realy nice dress-I like all of the new dresses Padme will be wearing, but I must say I am looking forward most to her wedding gown-I hope it is as dramatic as her gowns in Episode I. I realize she will not be a queen any longer, but it will be nice for her attire at the end of the movie to leave a bit of that "royal" taste in my mouth...
    I'm going to have to buy that issue of VF also-they always have great pictures...
    Queenseamstress

9. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Ok, the difficulty level of this dress just rose about 500%! It is so gorgeous!!! I can't wait to get my hands on this magazine!!

Regards,
    M.

10. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Hi Mirax and Sil :)

I know what you mean about the difficulty level rising with that dress! At least we are getting better pictures of it now. I think it is my favorite Star Wars dress so far. We must analyze every picture of it and figure it out! :D

11. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    I MUST HAVE THAT MAGAZINE NOW!!!! RIGHT NOW!!!

I hope there are pictures of more of the Padme/Amidala costumes in there !

O.M.G.

This costume I am working on now is a MONSTER!!!!!

I can tell I will probably be doing a heck of a lot of hand painting on it. AND I haven't even started on the headpieces yet. Argh. Well. What I have done right now does really look good.
    That is kind of what happend with the black feathered costume. I got the head piece done first and it looked so good that I had to figure out how to make the rest of it. And that took months to finally get done too and I think all of the time I put into it was worth it........
    I better get of the computer and back to work now---so many costumes to make, so little time!

12. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    I am so spitting mad jealous of Natalie Portman... :D Gorgeous dresses AND gorgeous guys!!! AUGH!!! ;)

kreleia ^.^

13. Princess1

Princess1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    I WANT THAT DRESS!!!!!!!!! Ok, I'll calm down now. I wish I could make that one, but I think the rainbow dress is enough work as it is! (sigh) she gets the hot guys and the cool dresses! No fair!

14. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I am completely obsessed with the picnic dress now... [face_love]

15. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    I also need to get off the computer and get to sewing...it makes it difficult to do with the two small kids. I have to get it out, put it up, get it out, put it up....AAHHH!!!
    The picnic dress is nice, but I am still a fan of the more "queenlike attire"...the color is very flattering to her skin and hair tone though...they have done a great jog with all of the colors of her gowns in EpII, since she is not as "made up"...from what I have seen so far...I still like the mustard gold and violet one.

16. ladystar

ladystar Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2001
    Well, starwars.com said there will be pictures inside so I hope there are more of the picnic gown. I have a pattern similiar (I think) from a prom gown. It has the boned top and flows out to a rayon skirt. The hardest part is the sparkling swirl in the skirt (I don't see material in our fabric store for that :)) and the purple flowering across the top...not to mention the layer over the top. (Which, after typing all the this, pretty much covers the whole dress!!) ;) Did you notice that she doesn't have the "bun" hair piece on in the cover photo? Someone posted that they figured the buns were attached to the head band, I guess they were right.
    I still like the cape and "desert" outfit, I wish I could see more of the two pieces because that is the one I would like to make the most. So...until next week when Vanity Fair sets sales records, best of luck on your contined efforts at sewing all the beautiful dresses!!

17. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    Mustard/gold and violet one?? That must be the one I am working on right now.

I was doing some drawings of it last night on my way home from work. I know I am on the right path if I can draw it with out looking at any refference materials....anyway, I was noticing that the design of that gold/mustard and maroon/violet costume has a tremendous ammount of a Byzantine influence. It looks a lot like many Byzantine Madonnas. I think there is some double-meaning to the costume references here.........

--my back hurts from being hunched over the "operating" table. I started
    painting the stencil designs on to the dress last night. I got the front
    center pattern done last night as well as the designs on the sleeve cuffs
    and the designs on the front and back of the little shouder cape thing. I
    just did the center back design down the dress back. I am taking a little
    break answering email so it can dry before I move on to the side designs.
    Hopefully I will get them both done tonight and then I can move on to the
    over-all pattern over the remainder of the dress for tommorrow night's fun.

I just found out tonight that I did not get enough cording for the bottom
    hem of the dress. That means a trip to Joanne Fabrics for Friday morning's
    errands. Hopefully, by this weekend, I will be sewing again, rather than
    painting.

I better get back to working on the costume.

Before Episode I was released, Vanity Fair also did a photo-article on the Queen Amidala costumes. They were not modeled by Natalie Portman. I think there were some slight variations between the ways in which the costumes were presented in the magazine, and how they appeared in the movie.
    This could also be true in this case.

Or......Anakin and Padme are rolling around in the grass and she gets her hair all messed-up and un-bunned.

I MUST GET THAT MAGAZINE!

18. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Flashback for ya Nos - do you remember how you attached the spokes of the white parade gown parasol to the inner and outer support rings? Or did you just glue 'em to that plastic thing?

I'm just about ready to chuck this thing in the garbage and say to heck with it. Not only have I been trying to get it to work for over a year now, I'm trying to get it finished for our Phoenix FF Debut party this weekend, and so far, I am having the most rotten luck. I've tried everything! Craft glue, tacky glue, gluing then reinforcing with monofilament while the glue was still wet, soldering and now JB Weld. It's not happening yet. The JB Weld has been alright so far, but I have to put gobs of the stuff on to keep the spoke wires attached - and then there's no guarantee they'll stay on if I get bumped or jostled. :mad:

Someone, anyone - ideas, inspiration, and even prayers at this point are welcome.

kreleia ^.^

19. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    Check this out guys!

[image=http://www.nenya.net/sw/large320.jpg]

No text to muck up the image. ;)

20. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    I glued (with super glue) my spokes on the back side then covered the entire piece with the sheer fabric and then applied the paint designs with that puffy-paint I suggested for doing the Blue Tattooine costume. BUT if I were going to do it again, I would also reinforce the spoke attatchments by drilling the smallest holes on either side of each spoke in at least two places (near the top and bottom of each spoke) and then "sew" each spoke on with monofillament wire. That is how I put the 3 giant snaps on the fan.

I got one more side design painted on the dress. I may do the other side this morning now before I go to work. Then later, when I get home again I will start on the over-all pattern.
    It is turning out quite well so far.
    I have been dreaming up ways to make the headpieces. I am not sure what kinds of problems I will run into with them.

21. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    Hi,
    kreleia-I am offering my prayers for your success on the parade gown-plesa do the same for me...
    Nos-I can't wait to see the dress when you are done with it-it is by far my fave from EpII so far...and I agree with you on the double meaning of the costumes...All SW films have a lot of double meanings with costumes, names,etc.
    kreleia-I am having such a time with this headpiece-I know surlie used a lot of different materials and sprayed them for the arcs on the pre-senate headress-but I have my heart set on doing some metalwork here...I just can't seem to figure out what to base it on so I don't give myself a labotomy..ha ha
    I've got a bit of a temper too, so I can see this thing getting thrown out and stomped in the street at least once before it's over-I am sure you fellow costumers can relate...
    If I can't do the metalwork on the sheet meatal-I may use thin metal foil, carve in the design, and then fill it in-does anyone have any idea what I am talking about?? They do it sometimes to do metal accents on furniture, jewelry boxes,etc.
    I have also been looking at the fringy beadwork and am seeing some strands that look like tatting with pearls every now and then...I haven't seen anyone include this in their costume yet...I guess learning to chrochet and tat has come in handy for something!!!Can anyone check their DVD or tape and tell me if they see it also?? It just looks like small loopy strands in with the strands of pearls and beads...
    Nos-I remember that old Vanity Fair issue of the gowns also...
    Oh, and to add to my stress-I have been working on losing the weight from my baby I had in 2001-so I can have somewhat of a figure to wear this thing!!!AAHH!!! I am making the obi-sash last because of this...13 pounds down...a trillion to go! ha ha ha ha My slave Leia days are over!
    Queenseamstress

22. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    HA! I am still trying to loose weight I gained from having my baby--almost 10 years ago! :eek:

I got thin brass sheeting for the Senate gown head-piece. There was only one place that I ever saw this for sale, at Pearl (Art Supply store) I am not sure if they are a super-big chain store, but the one in Chicago here is pretty big. If my memory serves correct, there was also a silver-toned and a copper-toned as well as the gold/brass toned sheet metal. It was for sale in an 8" x 1 yard roll. I didn't need that much for what I did and I also used a basic of craft-mesh to form the metal over.

I did find my two pictures of the FAO-Queen Amidala trunk set exclusive.

You can email me and I will send you the pictures. kvanb@prodigy.net

23. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    HA! I am still trying to loose weight I gained from having my baby--almost 10 years ago! :eek:

I got thin brass sheeting for the Senate gown head-piece. There was only one place that I ever saw this for sale, at Pearl (Art Supply store) I am not sure if they are a super-big chain store, but the one in Chicago here is pretty big. If my memory serves correct, there was also a silver-toned and a copper-toned as well as the gold/brass toned sheet metal. It was for sale in an 8" x 1 yard roll. I didn't need that much for what I did and I also used a basic of craft-mesh to form the metal over.

I did find my two pictures of the FAO-Queen Amidala trunk set exclusive.

You can email me and I will send you the pictures. kvanb@prodigy.net

24. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    They do have this at our craft store-and that is what made me think of using it and mention it earlier...I'll try it and see how it goes.
    My email addy is mom2raiandjas@lycos.com if you want to send those pics...until then I am going to pause frame by frame of my EpI dvd all night and make as many sketches as I can of the small "glimpse" you get of the side of this ensemble...and seam rip part of the sleeves I am not happy with.....you know, there ain't nothin like seam ripping....I don't beleive I need to comment any more on that subject.
    When Jason gets home tommorrow afternoon we'll ship Jasmine and Raiden off to grandma's-and maybe I can ship him off to a friend's for the evening and I can get something done...ha ha
    Boy I hope I can get this thing together in time for CelII.
    Nos-consider yourself lucky that you can find time to sew at work...I can do detailing and smaller work with the kids, but I can't do cutting or pinning or anything substantial with large pieces of fabric with the kids-they're 3 and 9 months. I can barely go a day without something being thrown in the toilet! ha ha
    Take it easy girls, from what I have seen, everyone is doing great work!
    Queenseamstress

25. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    So I've been staring at Padme's picnic dress for awhile now. I got out my AOTC teaser poster and got a really good look at the head band. It appears to be a velvety type of ribbon. It looks almost like two strips sewn together to make it wider and then the little flowers are sewn on top it that.

Okay, that's my two cents for the day. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.