Padme Amidala Amidala's Gowns (part 2)

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by kreleia, Sep 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 3
    Sweeeeeeet...
    I successfully got this paster mold of my head without ripping my hair out with it! It took a second to loosen up and I must admit I was scared for just a minute there...
    Now to dry it and make the positive mold!
    YIPPEEE!!!!
    Queenseamstress
  2. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
  3. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    WOOHOO!!! :D I just had to celebrate that this thread has reached 6 pages. ^.^ The longest thread I have posted to date! Yeah!! **laugh**

queenseamstress, I forgot to mention, you're in my prayers also. :) I think yours have helped, btw (thanks!). The frame *finally* seems to be working. I gotta get outside and spray-paint it real quick (so it's more silver instead of dark yucky gray), then it's on to the chiffon. I'll be dipping it in the "Nostradamus solution" (1 part matte medium, 1 part water) ;) and then sewing it onto the frame - everything dries within a matter of a couple hours or so here - it's AZ, after all. After that, glitter the swirl patterns, super-glue some beads on the ends, and fasten it to the cloak! WOOHOO!!! Hopefully, I'll be done by tomorrow morning (gotta wait for the glitter and glue to dry overnight - I'll glue the beads on the ends and let them dry at the same time).

Hmmmm... maybe I should get my butt of the computer and go work. [face_laugh]

kreleia ^.^
  4. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Here's a shot of Padme's headband from the picnic dress from the new Vanity Fair:

[image=http://www4.addr.com/~ejimford/vf/hayden_and_nat_2.jpg] [face_love]
  5. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Aw man... Hayden Christensen... **drool** [face_blush]

**ahem** Anyway, I just wanted to post a quickie update - the White Parade Gown parasol frame is FINISHED!!! YAY!!!!! **throws a party** I bent it to the correct angle before painting, and had a few of the spokes pop AGAIN. So, this time I whipped out the Superglue and PRESTO! HAHA!! Thanks for the suggestion Nos! So, now it's drying in the backyard, nice and silvery. **cheers** I just gotta remember where I put my nail-polish remover so I can get the glue off of the side of my thumb... :D

Also, the chiffon is just about finished in the wash. I went to take it out and it hadn't rinsed all the way. ?[face_plain] So, back in for an extra rinse cycle. In fact, it's probably done now... I can finally feel this getting closer!!

kreleia ^.^
  6. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Okay, kreleia's on a roll! WOOHOO!! [face_laugh] Next step is finished - hung the chiffon outside, and it was dry in 10 minutes (I'm not kidding). Then I ironed it and cut the circles, then dipped them in the matte medium solution. They're now drying for the second time outside (it's taking a little longer this time with the matte medium). Now to go experiment a little on the sewing maching. :)

kreleia ^.^
  7. queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 3
    Way to go kreleia!!! It feels great to have it almost done, huh?
    QS
  8. Nostradamus Jedi Master

star 4
    Your are lucky you are in AZ and can dry stuff outside right now! I had to make mine in the summer, other wise it would have taken weeks to dry all of the petals in the basement!

I had my craftsman glue gun out yesterday and did some repairs on the senate gown head-piece. I need to do some repairs on the parade gown parasol piece too. This superglue that goes in the craftsman gun is great! I bet you could glue even a car back together with it!
  9. Princess1 Jedi Master

star 4
    I took a look at the Vanity Fair magizine, no more picnic dress pictures! Sob! That is soooooo unfair!

Sigh! I could just drool over those pictures of Anakin!
  10. queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 3
    It has not been a good weekend. The kids were away and I wanted to get a ton of work done. I went to every fabric store in the county, and none of them had enough or any black or the right grey for Jason's officer uniform. There was oodles of olive, but he doesn't want a green one.
    Then I have had nothing but trouble with the kimono-the delicate underlayers have given me less trouble-they are hanging beautifully in our bedroom, while the seemingly simple kimono is in a heap on the sewing table. I am having trouble with the shoulders and the sleeves draping right-and have sewn them up and seam ripped a zillion times-I finally put it down after about the 6th alteration-I was too frustrated. I have been in a bad mood all morning because I feel like I wasted all day yesterday with no progress.
    POODOO!!!
    qs
  11. surlygirlie Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Oh, queenseamstress, I feel for you.

I know we have all been there. I find that when this kind of thing happens, I need to just back away from the sewing machine for a while. When I force myself to work on things I'm despondent about, the situation usually goes from bad to worse.
    Don't sweat it -- you'll ride right over this bump in the road before long, and eventually, it will be a good sewing story to tell.

Hang in there!

-sg
  12. Nostradamus Jedi Master

star 4
    Exactly!
    Queen seamstress.......I still need to cut that flashing!! and find a good padded envelope....I will try my best to get that out to you today.

My armor is more together (but not done yet) My helmet talks now!!
    I started the Jango Fett costume over the weekend too.......

I tried on my new 'emergency' costume last night and it works! My husband got me loosely laced into the bodice. I will need a pit crew to get everything tried down for the event........
    I need to figure out how to arrange some of the 'special effects' features of the costume and make them so they will hold together for an hour or so of picture-taking.
    I scared the he!! out of my husband when I had everything on.
    This is going to be fun.

I still have to work on the golden Senator Amidala headpiece. I am picking up a lot of ideas to get this done. Now all I need is the time to do it.

So many costumes to make, so little time.
  13. queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 3
    Thanks ladies for the support.
    I know the problem with the sleeves-I just haven't been able to fix it yet. The kimono pattern traditionally has dropped sleeves-but the pre-senate gowns are not dropped. If they are-the penguin sleeves do not hang correctly. I am worried I may have to get more fabric and totally redo the body to make the bodice and shoulders more form fitted-but use the same style as I have already for the bottom.
    qs
  14. Princess1 Jedi Master

star 4
    I am not having a good day!

I've been working on my rainbow dress costume, and the top is a royal pain! It wanting to well, fall off! It has such a low back and everything, I had to redo it about a hundred times to get it anywhere near right! And to top it off, I try to down load the entry form for the celebration2 costume contest, and it won't work! It down loaded but all I got was a bunch of gobble goop! Has anyone suchcessfully down loaded it? If so, a link would be really nice.
  15. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hang in there queenseamstress!! I know exactly what you're going through! I was about ready to tear my white parade gown dress to pieces while making it. It was the first time I'd ever worked with slippery fabric, and the curse words were a-flyin'! [face_laugh] And... somewhere in this thread, sg and I were talking about how the kimono sleeves are attached. Lemme see if I can dig it up... ah, yes. Page 2 of this thread, about half-way down. We never actually figured out *how* to do it, but you can see the seams on the pics I linked to. Maybe that will help. :)

Princess1, did you finally get it to work? Oh man - I'm starting to get worried! Everyone is running into major roadblocks, it seems.

**concentrates hard and sends out psychic waves of good karma** Feel the karma... feel the Force (of sewing)... yes... Patience for the seamstress... patience... and rest. (yes, girls, get *some* sleep!) **end Yoda-like psychic session**

Cheezy? Maybe. Will it work? I hope so! And here's a good ol' cliché for you: When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!!

^.^
  16. queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 3
    Thanks Kreleia-I have said my share of colorful language the past few days...I am going to take a small break and work on other parts of the costume and on Jason's and hope the Force will send me a solution...
    qs
    ps-Does anyone know where I can find a good fabric for the obi? The closest I found was a gold upholstery fabric that has the diamond weave pattern, but it has a little burgandy dot in each diamond. I can't find any ivory or gold pattern like this at all.
  17. Princess1 Jedi Master

star 4
    kreleia: Thanks for the positive thoughts! I sure needed them ! But I finnaly got it to work, I ended trying it on and having my mom pin it exzactly how it should be, sometimes its hard figuring out the fit of a costume with out help! It worked, but in order to keep it on it had to be really, really tight in the back!
  18. queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 3
    Kreleia-thanks for the link to the mannequin pic of the pre-senate gown. You do not know how much it helped in my brainstorm...those darn beads totally covered that seam up entirely from view in the movie-the seam actually reminds me of those 3/4 sleeve baseball tops that were popular a year or two ago that had the sleeves coming into the neck in a separate color than the body of the shirt. I have an old one and I am going to rip it apart and use it to make part of the pattern in a few days....BAWAAHAHAHAHA
    I also figured out the antique pewter finish for the earpieces-I just have to try it out when I get to that point and see how it works out.
    Things may be looking up in the near future.
    qs
  19. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Keep your chins up girls! It'll all be worth it in the end. :)
  20. queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 3
    I ordered my makeup today-I tried plain white, but it was too harsh-so I ordered a light pinkish-white base theatre makeup and white setting powder-I hope it works. Her makeup semed to be whiter while wearing the red and black gowns, but a bit more subdued in the pre-senate and parade gowns-you could actually see a bit of skin tone beneath it. I am going to be using smudged liner and white and very light blue shimmery eye shadows as well as the red lip liner.
    Kreleia and Surlygirlie-have you noticed teh jewels on the fan headpiece-the darker ones look reddish in color-kindof like garnets-is that your take on it?
    Surlygirlie-I checked out your costumes and I must say my faves are your black travel gown-it is absolutely gorgeous-and your husbands Moulin Rouge costume-he looks JUST LIKE HIM!!!!!!!!!! It is just awesome!!!!!!!
    I am noticing I am able to do double duty on a lot of supplies for mine and Jason's outfits-I can use the same chrome spray for my headpiece as well as on his code cylindars...frugality...
    Well, beter go...lots o' work abounds.
    qs
  21. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    You're welcome, qs! I'm glad the pics helped! They were pretty much a blessing when I found them and *finally* got to see exactly how the sleeves were put on. Yeah, they are kinda that baseball sleeve style, aren't they? :) Hmmmm... **urge to pull apart old costume is stronger than ever**

As for the darker jewels, yes, I think they're red garnet colors too. In fact, on my old headpiece, I have several different plastic jewel colors. Lemme see if I still have the old scan of one of the bands... ah, here we go:

[image=http://drivingcat.home.mindspring.com/images/headpiece2.jpg]

Yes, this is from the original costume I did 2+ years ago. Hence the "homemade-ness" of it (I also whited-out the gray stuff so it would load faster). Still, in all of the studying I did of the various pics, it seemed like she has all manner off different colored jewels on the arcs. The pics I posted to look at the sleeve seams actually show a bit of color to the jewels. Sorry the pic isn't higher resolution, though.

Princess1 YAY!!! I'm glad you got it to work!! WOOHOO!! Is this the dress that you're going to enter in the costume contest? :)

kreleia ^.^
  22. Princess1 Jedi Master

star 4
    kreleia: It is the dress I plan to enter in the contest, if I get into the contest anyway. The rules said only 75 people will be able to enter, but as soon as I can get the form to download, I'll send it in. Are you going to enter the contest?
  23. surlygirlie Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Thanks so much for the compliments, queenseamstress -- you're so sweet!

If my research is correct, the jewels on the silver arcs go in the following pattern:
    red, clear, clear, red, clear, clear, red, etc.

The top arcs start and end with a red/garnet jewel, and the bottom arc follows the same pattern, but starts and ends with one clear jewel. (i.e. clear, red, clear, clear, red....... clear, clear, red, clear.)

Does that make sense, or should I get more coffee and try again? :)

-sg
  24. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Princess1, as much as I'd love to enter, I'm not going to be there at all. :( Not only am I helping to supervise the Phoenix 2-week line-up for Episode 2 (which starts that weekend), one of my very good friends is getting married that weekend. Also, money. The cash flow just wasn't headed in that direction. BUT, I've made Rob *promise* that I'll get to go to celebration III. :) Hey, I've missed the first two - there's no way he's keeping me from the third!!

sg, you're the woman! **grin** I'm just going to shutup now, stand aside and watch. :D

kreleia ^.^
  25. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Hey Princess1 :)
    I just sent you a copy of the contest form via private message. Hope it helps!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.