main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Amidala's Gowns (part 2)

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by kreleia, Sep 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Hi Kirsten :)
    In the other thread about this dress I posted a link to a site where I ordered blue crinkle gauze for this costume. It isn't as crinkly as the real dress, but I used it for mine and am pleased with it. :)

2. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Hey Kirsten!

Obi-Dawn used trigger poplin for the blue "poncho" piece of the dress - I've looked at it several times and think it would be a really good option. Very nice texture, good stiffness (body) to it. There's also a cotton duck (kinda like canvas) fabric that's $4.50/yard at Dharma Trading that would probably work really well, too. I'm looking at ordering that one for my go at this dress. :) It comes in it's un-bleached natural color (it's heavier this way, and that's what I want), so it will have to be dyed (Dharma sells dyes too). They also have a really neat hemp/linen fabric that would work, but it's a bit more expensive ($12.95/yard - even though you'd probably only need 3 yards).

As for the crinkle fabric, I still haven't found the perfect match yet, although the crinkle gauze that Obi-Dawn used looks fabulous. She's got pictures posted here somewhere...

Hope some of that helps!!
    kreleia ^.^

3. queenseamstress

queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Jan 30, 2002
    The gray taffeta came today....bee-oo-tiful!!!!!!!
    I got my confirmation also, thanks to the prayers from Kreleia and Obi-Dawn! Thanks!
    Went out and got a bunch of notions and supplies today-(also found the theme for Raiden's first birthday party next month-rubber duckies!)
    It's been a good day!
    Amy

4. KirstenSolo

KirstenSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2002
    Quick update:

I finished altering the pattern for the blue dress today, and I threw together the top in muslin to see how the fit would be. I ended up having to make it quite a bit smaller and shorten the sleeves, but I think it will work very well. My trigger and lining fabrics are washed and pressed, so I'm going to cut out the top tonight and sew it together tomorrow. Then comes the hard part: the painting and embroidery!

For the skirt, I ended up using a stunning blue crushed panne. I never did find a crinkle fabric that I was completely happy with, and the color meant more to me than having an exact fabric match. The crushed fabric adds a nice texture, and the drape is lovely. For that part, all I need to do is sew it together, add the drawstring, and cut out the inlay for the top.

I'll post progress pictures soon!

5. Princess1

Princess1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    Wow! It sounds like everyone's been working really hard! I've done the skirt and top on my dress, now I have to do all that fun stuff with the chiffion!

6. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    Princess1-I read your signature-I forget the names, but isn't Legolas the one with the white hair-if so-I AGREE!!!! I was hot for him the whole movie-he he he
    The kids are going away for the weekend-so I get a day and a half of uninterrupted working time-yipee!

7. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    queenseamtress: Yes, thats the guy! And believe me, I was the same way through out the whole movie! Everytime he was shown I had to point out the "hot elf" to my friends. :) All the other girls agreed, but the guys just rolled their eyes and told me I was crazy. Wow, I bet your excited, its so much easyer to work without all the "help" kids will sometimes give.

8. Dorme

Dorme Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    Hi all!! I'm currently beginning my Blue Tatooine dress- very exciting! :D And I don't know if this would be much help, but I found that there are some good drawings on this Padme Amidala paper doll book, especially for the corset one, and senator outift (err... I can't explain things well.. can I?) :p

thenextamidala.com

Anyways, I happen to have blue eyes and blonde/brown hair, so I think I might do just a week long dye in my hair for the celebration... Figures all the main women in Star Wars have brown hair! :p

-~Dorme~-

9. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    To any of you who have not seen the progress on my pre-senate gown-go to 2002 costume projects on this board-it is on the last page-there are parts of my inner sleeves, underskirts, and part of the earpieces.
    Dorme-I would try the Fanci-ful wash-out rinse if your hair is pretty light-so it won't stain-if you do use a semi-permanant-it will last more like a month unless you w ash your hair about 3 times a day all week. I would mix two boxes-one of dark blonde and one of light natural brown-do not use medium brown-it will turn out too dark. That is always the case with store haircolor browns, because they use the same processor for everyone-whereas when you are in the salon-the color and developers are separate and we customize them to what hair color you are starting out with.
    QS

10. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    **laugh** Oh sure... post that about the haircolor NOW qs. [face_laugh] I actually just returned my hair to it's natural brown color today. I've had blond highlights woven into it for about 3 years or so, and I decided I wanted my dark brown back. So, I decided to try the Garnier stuff. It turned out really close to my real color - the dye actually put more red into it than I naturally have, but it still looks good. :) I'm happy with it. At least I won't have to go back to the salon for $120 touch-ups every 4 months now.

And, that's waaaay off topic... oh well. [face_blush]

kreleia ^.^

11. KirstenSolo

Mar 4, 2002
    Another update:

I finished sewing my costume today! The lining and sleeves took much longer than I was expecting. Since I used the crushed panne instead of the crinkle gauze for the skirt and inlay in the poncho, I left myself the possibility that I'd find the perfect fabric in the future by lining the inlay seperate from the rest of the poncho. What I have so far looks fantastic though. I'm getting a dress form on loan, so I should be able to take some in progress pictures of the painting, etc for you.

Now tonight, I cut out all the pieces for my jedi tunics and pants. Plus I ordered some of that cranberry velvet from the guy on ebay so I could make the pre-senate handmaiden cloak from Ep 1. I'm going to be busy busy busy until May!

12. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    Kirsten-what are you doing Sunday May 5th-say around lunchtime? I heard cranberry handmaiden cape..."Walking with me in the contest WILL be fine...(waves hand) ha ha ha!

13. KirstenSolo

Mar 4, 2002
    QS, if my cloak turns out well, I'd be happy to walk with you in the contest! :) I'll definitely keep you updated.

14. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    Thanks! Do you have a mustard gold handmaiden outfit yet Kirsten?

15. KirstenSolo

Mar 4, 2002
    Nope, I haven't even started thinking about that one yet. Three projects at the same time is my limit. ;) That's on the future project list though.

16. Naboo Queen

Naboo Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 1999
    I'm just done with the leather-naboo dress, but I'm having trouble with the shawl. Can anybody please give me advice on this?
    (I'm sorry that I don't have time to read all the posts, so if this is redundant, forgive me)

17. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    Naboo Queen: Is that the strapless dress?

18. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    I have been so busy with my pre-senate gown, I haven't gotten a real good look at the new gowns-if you have a good link of a pic of the shawl-let me know and I will see what I can do. Did you buy a corset-or did you make it?
    QS

19. Naboo Queen

Naboo Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 1999
    Thank you for your help. The Next Amidala website, referenced above, has pictures of it under "gallery."

This is the black, strapless dress (with the fire in the background--"Sunfire Romance Padme")

I went for the "close-enough" look, because I am not comfortable having everything tight and leather. So the dress is a normal strapless one, made of simple shiny material.

20. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    The skirt isen't leather, there was a pic of it on the offical site a while ago. Actualy is was a drawing, it was in a artical about a Padme paper doll or something like that.

21. KirstenSolo

Mar 4, 2002
    New pictures :)

[image=http://www.afn.org/~afn50110/sw/16.jpg]
    [image=http://www.afn.org/~afn50110/sw/17.jpg]
    [image=http://www.afn.org/~afn50110/sw/39.jpg]

22. _Padme_

_Padme_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2002
    Hi everyone!!! This thread is quite interesting and helpful... Well, I think I need some help or some ideas. I am planning to make the white battle outfit for AOTC opening. I will make this one 'cause it seems the easiest to make. I already have a white t-shirt with a scarf sewed in it, and a pair of white trousers, they are a bit loose but I'm afraid I can't sew so I'll have to buy another ones. What I need to know is how would you make those "silver" bracelets and what materials would you use to make them. I also need some advice about how to make the boots... Any ideas?

23. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    Go to 2002 costume projects on these boards and ask Nostradamus-she made this costume for her daughter and it turned out great.
    I have the body and lining of the kimono cut out and I am sewing and pressing...so far so good...If hte fit is well I will begin the penguin sleeves next...this is terrible fabric to work with-it frays worse than any I have ever seen!!!!AAAAHHHH!!!!
    QS

24. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    Kirsten_Solo_ Those are some good pics! I'd never seen that one dress before.

queenseamtress: Its all right, don't get discouraged, I've been having some problems to! I spent over 6 hours today trying to get the back of the skirt on my costume to drape right! I redid it about a 100 times! Chiffion is NOT easy to work with!

25. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    Kirsten_Solo_ Those are some good pics! I'd never seen that one dress before.

queenseamtress: Its all right, don't get discouraged, I've been having some problems to! I spent over 6 hours today trying to get the back of the skirt on my costume to drape right! I redid it about a 100 times! Chiffion is NOT easy to work with!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.