Padme Amidala Amidala's Gowns (part 2)

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by kreleia, Sep 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. Princess1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Kirsten_Solo_ Those are some good pics! I'd never seen that one dress before.

queenseamtress: Its all right, don't get discouraged, I've been having some problems to! I spent over 6 hours today trying to get the back of the skirt on my costume to drape right! I redid it about a 100 times! Chiffion is NOT easy to work with!
  2. _Padme_ Jedi Master

star 4
    Ooops, thank you queenseamstress, I'll go there.
  3. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    up!! Let's not allow this awesome thread to die!! ^.^
  4. queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 3
    No let's not Kreleia! We are so busy posting on 2002 projects-we havn't been putting our progress on this thread as well!
  5. Princess1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Oops, I'd better post my progress and keep this thread up!

Anyway, so far I have the skirt, and the underlayer of the rainbow dress done. But I still have to do the yellow chiffion on the top, and the neck and arm bands! And of course theres the hair, but I can't even think about that yet or I'll go nuts!
  6. queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 3
    Do you have any progress pics of the rainbow dress? I'd love to see it!
  7. Princess1 Jedi Master

star 4
    I'll try and post some pics, but I'll have to go and use my friends scanner and figure everything out. So it might take a little bit, but I'll sure try!
  8. kreleia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    That's right! We still haven't seen pics of your Rainbow dress yet! :) Yes, please! Do try to get some up!

kreleia ^.^
  9. Princess1 Jedi Master

star 4
    uh oh, this thread is getting pushed down! Can't have that.
  10. queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 3
    Princess, tell me about what you have been doing on your gown-as far as making the pattern, dyeing it, the jewelry accents...I want to hear all!
    Since we haven't been doing the best job keeping up this thread-I have all of my pre-senate kimono sewn together and I am doing the embroidery and pearls design on teh penguin sleeves. THe underskirts are done, and I have satin ballet looking slippers in a periwinkle grey to wear underneath the same color as the undersleeves and middle skirt layer. The undersleeves are finished as well as the sashes. The obi belt is cut out, but I am going to wait until a bit closer to the convention to make this to get a perfect fit-I have all of the ingredients for the headress waiting, except I need to get a bit more fake hair in the next week or two. Things are going slow, sice I am working on more thatn one costume-but it is coming along nicely.
  11. Princess1 Jedi Master

star 4
    queenseamtress:wow, it sounds like your almost done! Your costume sounds really cool, are you wearing it to celebration2?

As for my costume, instead of dyeing it used several layers of differnt colored chiffion, so far its had basically the same effect. I used pink satin for the under skirt and used chiffion for the draping and rainbow stuff.I used pink, periwinkle and light yellow chiffion.

I didn't actual need a pattern for the under skirt, I found a used formal dress with the perfect type of skirt, except for the rainbow stuff of course. So I took the skirt off the dress and changed it a little bit for the costume. I used the McCall's evening elegance 2681 for the changes.

I combined two patterns for the top. A old pattern of my moms and the New Look pattern 6974. I used the old pattern to make the back a little bit lower and cut the sides slightly differnt. I still have to do the yellow chiffion on the top and the neck peice/arm bands. I wasen't able to find sliver shoes, (well I did, but I wasen't going to pay 60bucks for a pair of shoes!)

Ok, well, I guess thats about it so far, even thought it was kinda long.
  12. queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 3
    Hey-go to Ebay and go to clothing, then women's footwear under that section, and then put in silver in the search bar-it will have the silver shoes up for auction listed there-check often-you may find some!
    You can also us spray paint on a pair of cheap pumps at Payless...
    yes, I will wear the pre-senate kimono to CII-definitely Sunday-maybe Saturday-it depends on if I have time to make another costume or not.
    I want to see that dress! I just bought a fairy costume pattern to make my daughter and I am going to use the different colored sheer fabrics like you did for the skirt! Cool!
    I just went out today and picked up the loads o' fake hair for the headpiece.
  13. Princess1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey cool, I hope your daughter enjoys her costume. :) Well, if your wearing your costume there maybe I'll see you! Hey, I have a idea..... Maybe everyone from this thread whoose going should try to set up a time to meet there and see eachother costumes!
  14. queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 3
    That sounds cool! I will be wearing my SW sheet shirt Friday, possibly a Tatooine slave woman type getup-Shmi like, not Jabba slave like-as to not mess up the Amidala one-I will probably only wear it Sunday for the contest, and Saturday only if I absolutely do not have time to make the slave one-I already bought the fabrics.
  15. Princess1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey cool! So other then the costume how will we recognize eachother? Name tags with our screen name or something? Whats a sheet shirt?

Anyway, I probably won't wear the rainbow dress until sunday. I'll probably wear my ANH Princess Leia dress , if I can get the stains out in time. But there will probably be three zillion people wearing that dress! So anyway, I have really long blonde hair, so I'll be the Princess Leia who didn't use hair extensions! ;)
  16. Princess1 Jedi Master

star 4
    No! I will not let this thread get pushed down. :)
  17. Amidala-Leia Jedi Master

star 4
    The visual dictionary pics(the couple of Amidala) are absolutely gorgeous. I can't wait for the movie to come out :D :D .
  18. queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 3
    It is a shirt made out of vintage Star Wars sheets instead of regular fabric.
    I think everyone wearing something that says their screen name is a good idea...there are so many of you I want to talk to in person, and only a couple I would know by sight!
    Princess-have you gotten those pics yet? I can't wait to see it!
    I am almost finished with the sleeves now...and I am also working on cutting out the obi/sash/pillow fabric...I am doing two layers-a white peachskin and a gold metallic sheer diamondweave over it.
    The last two weeks before CII are going to be dedicated to the headress...I am not looking forward to it...it is going to be a killer!
  19. Princess1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Amidala-Leia: I know what you mean, I'll probably scare the whole theater by like running around and screaming "ITS EP2!!!!!!" or something like that ;)

queenseamtress: (grins sheepishly) sorry I haven't gotten those pics up. I'm still trying to figure it out. I've never post pics on the net before.
    Hey, a sheet shirt, thats a neat idea, I never would have thought of it! So, if we have name tags or something,what should use to put the screen names on? Should we maybe like meet in a certain spot. Like the art area or something? I don't know. I know how you feel! I feel like I have so many friends here, but I've never actualy met any of them!
  20. Amidala-Leia Jedi Master

star 4
    I'll be screaming along with you princess1. I can hardly contain my excitement now, I can't imagine what it's going to be like to finally see the movie.
  21. Princess1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh good :) I'm glad I'm not the only crazy one! I just can't seem to contain my excitement. My non star wars friends think I've lost it;)
  22. Amidala-Leia Jedi Master

star 4
    So have mine. I get picked on all the time. I especially get picked on about making a costume-especially by my roommates. I'm having somebody help me with the Blue tatooine. I might wear it to my roommates wedding in August(I'm a bridesmaid). She opted against bridesmaid dresses. And all she told us was that she would like our dresses to be blue [face_mischief]
  23. queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 3
    Our non-Star Wars friends think we are bordering on "nerdome". My dad has seen many of my creations over the years-and has no idea how big/grand the costume contest at CII is going to be...he even gets Star Wars and Star Trek confused...
    The only friend of ours who understands is a big KISS fan, because he has a whole room of memorabilia and goes to KISS conventions all the time...different obsession-same craziness.
    Don't let them pick on ya...you'll all be cool again like in 1999 when they are all on TV talks shows and on all the soda cans...then in a year we will be nerds again. ha ha ha Funny how that works, huh?
    I was up half the night doing more beads/pearls...this costume has pearls and beads EVERYWHERE!!!! Good thing they didn't show her underwear-they are probably beaded too!! (QS sucks on her smarting thumb)
  24. surlygirlie Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Oh, qs, I feel for you! Getting no sleep to do beading is less than delightful. (But just think of what a cool and beautiful costume you'll have to show for it!)

And, just to add my tale of ill luck (clumsiness!) to the pile:

When I was working on the beading for the headpiece, I had majorly explosive bead emergencies on 2 occasions --
    one was a fairly major spillage at home, and I did a quick vacuum job and just cut my losses on the beads, and the other was at work -- I whacked my hand on the edge of the open box I had carefully sorted all my beads into, and beads went flying EVERYWHERE! That was almost three years ago, and our housekeeper is still finding beads in the carpet! Now, every time I bring a project in to work, she gets this nervous look on her face.
    ;)

I'm basting the embroidery pattern onto my redo kimono sleeves now. It'll probably take me a while, as I'm in no rush and have several other things in the works. Still, it's good to feel productive. :)

-sg
  25. queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 3
    I wonder if your new sleeve pattern is similar to what I came up with...I drew my design pattern on the sleeves with a fabric disappearing ink pen.
    I have my beads in a little sorter also...I hope this costume lives up to everyones expectations...if not I will curl up in shame...
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.