main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Amilyn Holdo's speech patterns aka "Holdo speak"

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Gruntz, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I consider it one of her oddities from childhood, maybe a glimpse to Holdo as a child playing with a fake blaster.

Gruntz and teamhansolo like this.
  2. teamhansolo

teamhansolo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    I love that GIF, It's awesome. And to answer the question, It is probably just Amilyn being her usual wacky self. :p

Gruntz likes this.
  3. Gruntz

Gruntz Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2018
    One more thing I've noted is that teenage Holdo had a very unusual attitude to death: she was not afraid of it, and moreover, she was excited to “to get more comfortable with the nearness and inevitability" of it. I wonder if it was intended as buildup to her self-sacrifice because this really looks like it. In my opinion, it would have been great to make a reference to this in her final dialogue with Leia, something along the lines of "don't worry about me, I've always wanted to see the other side".

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. Gruntz

Gruntz Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2018
    One interesting thing they could have done IMO, is that there really was a traitor onboard, and Holdo deliberately acted like "hippy admiral" to throw him off guard, similarly to how she did in the book to dupe the Imperial Captain. And after the traitor reveals himself, she would suddenly switch to "tough commander" mode and get him captured; he would say "So you were pretending this whole time?", and she would reply "No, I'm pretending right now" ;)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. Gruntz

Gruntz Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2018
    In fact, Holdo's way of speaking really reminds me of this monk character from the Jackie Chan Adventures series:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019