main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Among the Stars (YJK/NJO AU. J/Z COMPLETED!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Vongchild, Oct 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    Hello! *waves a-la capt. Jack Sparrow* My friends and I were watching POTC last night and I came up with this! It?s an AU (duh) and J/Z in later chapters and based on the Infinities concept of ?what if this were different?? *Grins at the thought of Leia training under master Yoda*

Pirates!

Woot woot!

Title: Among the Stars
    Author: Vongchild
    Genre: Adventure/ Action/ Romance
    Disclaimer: Do I look like I own Star Wars? No? Good.
    Summary: Jaina Solo has been in and out of slavery, military schools, and orphan homes for so long that she doesn?t even know who she is anymore. Locked in a stasis crystal and thrown out to float in the starry wastes, a crew of space pirates stumbles upon her. After much arguement, she is given to the firey-tempered navigator, Mara Jade, as an assistant. But if she couldn?t fit anywhere else, what?s to say that the pirate?s life is right for Jaina?
    Notes: every chapter starts with a poem

Among the Stars

Chapter 1

In a room
    Among the stars
    You can forget
    your fears and scars

In a place
    that isn?t real
    you can drop you defenses
    and start to heal

Fame and fortune
    silver and gold
    it doesn?t matter
    when you?re dead and cold.

While you?re here
    or passing through
    wonder how
    will they remember YOU?

?Aren?t you supposed to throw all small catches back?? Someone asked, leaning over her. Though her eyes were closed and still sightless, an after-effect of the carbon freezing, Jaina could hear every word said. This someone sounded old, gruff, unpolished, and had breath like a Wampa.

?That?s fish, you idiot,? someone else replied. This someone sounded younger, maybe three years older than Jaina?s thirteen years.

?What use do we have with her?? the first someone asked. ?She?s much too small to be of much use - no muscles, nor feminine aspects. How old you you reckon she is? Eleven? I can see why they threw her out.?

?Thirteen,? mumbled Jaina. ?I?m thirteen.?

?Yeh hear that? I think it said something!? a third someone exclaimed.

?I did say something,? Jaina replied. After a moment?s hesitation, she opened her eyes to realize she could see again. The freezing sickness had run it?s course and though groggy, she was okay. She sat up and looked around. She was on a ship - she could hear the mechanical hum of an active hyperdrive - but that did not tell her much. ?Where am I?? she asked quizically.

?Welcome aboard the Dawnrunner, missee! Finest ship in this galaxy!? The gruff, old one with bad breath said, helping her to her feet.

?I?ve met spacers who would beg to differ with that,? Jaina muttered, looking down at herself. She was dressed in a plain white shift with short, loose sleaves and a length to her knees.

?Spacers have nothing on us,? said the one Jaina guessed to be three years older than herself. ?Because we?re-?

the other three let out a collective howl of ?PIRATES! WOOT WOOT!? They smacked heads, causing Jaina to stare. The sixteen-year-old behind her laughed.

?I thought the captain told you to stop that,? he said, slapping Jaina across the back, he added, ?Don?t worry. Not everyone?s like them.?

?I certainly hope they aren?t worse,? Jaina remarked.

?Some are,? he replied.

?I thought I told you to tell me when she woke up!? another Someone called. It was a voice Jaina recognized, vaguely. The three laughing idiots stood at attention.

?We was going to tell you, Captain,? the old gruff one said, ?Just as soon as we finished the welcoming!? The so-adressed ?captain? clammored down the stairs two at a time. He was dressed in black pants and a white shirt, layered under a frayed looking black vest. His brown hair fell messily around his head and there were a few streaks of gray in it, giving away that he was probably closer to fifty than thirty. Jaina couldn?t place his face- but she did recognize it from somewhere.

?Welcome aboard,? he said. Jaina could see some sadness in his eyes, like this wasn?t the ship he wanted to be piloting. ?I?m Captain Solo, the three idiots are One,

2. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    nobody likes it
    everybody hates it
    I'm gonna go eat worms.

3. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    At this point, I will accept any feedback, even marshmallow-cooking-flames.

4. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
  5. JalendaviLady

JalendaviLady Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    Am reading... Not much I can say about the first post, other than that the premise is interesting.

Please! More!

6. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    Jalendavilady- Am reading... Not much I can say about the first post, other than that the premise is interesting. Well - at least it's not a flame! :)

Please! More!

I'll take that to mean you like it? thanks!

7. Handmaiden_Rabe

Handmaiden_Rabe Jedi Master star 5

Nov 2, 2003
    Why hasn't anybody read this? It's wonderful. Okay, so Jacen isn't her twin, that we know of. Anakin must be the youunger son, nand where there's Anakin, there's Tahiri. Gotta have her in here. So, this is basically a different version of how Mara trained Jaina. I like it! Keep it up.

8. JalendaviLady

JalendaviLady Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    What I probably should have said is that it appears to be a good start, and the ideas behind the story (those seen so far) appear sound, but since there's just one post so far, there's not much more to be said.

And I'll be very happy when a second post shows up.

9. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    Cattie- actually, the three year age difference is at fault of carbon freezing. WHEEEE!!!!!!!!

New chapter!

Chapter 2

Don?t you wonder?
    I know you do-
    Why people see
    what they want to?

Don?t you wonder?
    I know you must-
    What is real
    what can you trust?

Don?t you wonder?
    I know you can-
    Do you see the flaws
    that plague the man?

Don?t you wonder?
    I know it?s hard-
    to see the hand
    that plays the card.

Jaina tinkered with the electrical components inside the metal cylinder. ?You?re good with your hands,? Mara commented.

?Thanks,? Jaina replied, ?I was a mechanic on Ord Mantell when I was a kid. I had to get good fast or I?d go without dinner.? She twisted the little screw one more time and then latched the compartment closed and handed the cylinder back to Mara, ?It should work now,? she said, ?What is it, anyway??

Mara shrugged. ?Not quite sure. I found it at a junk shop on Coruscant. Pretty good deal for a useless POS.? The navigator tossed it between her hands a few times and said, ?It looks like a glowlight. when I figure out what it is, I?ll tell you. If it?s pointless enough, I?ll give it to you.? Jaina watched her walk off. The girl would have liked to tinker with the relic more - she felt that she would have found it wasn?t as useless as Mara said - but for now she would have to take the older woman?s word for the fact that it was a POS.

Suddenly, Jaina was aware of a strange feeling. She had nothing to do at the moment. ?Mara!? she called, ?What do you want me to do now??

?Go get lost!? Mara called back.

?In this place, I think I can manage that,? Jaina muttered, standing up. She paused in front of the door, realizing it wasn?t coded to her palm.

?You?re still here?? Mara asked.

?I can?t open the door!? Jaina exclaimed.

?Palm it!? Mara said, slamming something onto a shelf. Surely, she fumed, the former slave knew how to palm a door open.

?I?m not coded!? cried Jaina hopelessly.

?Neither is it!? Mara replied, exasperated. The girl was more trouble than she was worth. After about a minute, though, Jaina must have figured out what she meant, because she heard the door hiss open and someone left the room.

Jaina stepped out into the hall and looked around. It looked about the same as it had earlier. In one direction, the crew members with the almost comical sounding names of One, Bad, and Trip played strip sabaac on the floor. They?d just started, but Bad had probably already lost a hand or two because he was minus a shirt and an armored vest. Jaina felt the urge to take the opportunity to grab a half working gun from the storage racks and be done with him... but resisted, because that wouldn?t be a very nice way to thank the people who had pulled her out of that stasis crystal.

Further down the hall in that same direction, two people Jaina didn?t know the names of took turns taking pinches of some sort of spice. Jaina had tried combinations of spice back when she was a slave, but didn?t much fancy the stuff. It tasted like chalk and didn?t give you much of a buzz. Someone had suggested she needed larger doses, because if one of her parents had been an alcoholic, she could have built up an immunity.

That was about when Jaina got off [i]that[/i] bandwagon.

But, just to avoid a confrontation, she decided to walk in the other direction, sliding open doors and looking in as she went. She found a few crew quarters and two freshers, but nothing particularly interesting. One door obviously [i]was[/i] coded, because she couldn?t open it. She continued on. More doors. More boredom.

In the last door before the control room, she found something interesting. Even if it was just Captain Solo, an adult wookiee, a dark-haired young man and a teenaged boy (not Jacen) sitting around a holographic game board. ?You?re settled, then?? the captain asked. After a moment?s hesitation, Jaina nodded. ?Good. Mara treating you okay?? Another nod. ?Any of the bozos I call crew give you any trouble?? Jaina shook her head no. ?Why are you suddenl

10. Handmaiden_Rabe

Nov 2, 2003
    Post more, so we can find out Jaina's story. I never thought Jacen would become a pirate. Sure, Anakin would do it, Kyp would do it, Mara would do it, but Jacen wouldn't. Very good descriptions, and I can't wait for more.

11. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    Cattie- Post more, so we can find out Jaina's story.

I'll take that to mean you like it? No problemo then!

I never thought Jacen would become a pirate. Sure, Anakin would do it, Kyp would do it, Mara would do it, but Jacen wouldn't.

He would if his mom were dead! [face_mischief] [face_devil]

Very good descriptions, and I can't wait for more.

Oh goody! You dooo like it!

12. Handmaiden_Rabe

Nov 2, 2003
    *gasps* You didn't kill off Leia. You didn't, you couldn't, I'll kill you if you did!

13. Jedi_Bubbles

Jedi_Bubbles Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    This one likes the story a lot! This one is hoping that you post soon?

Poor Jaina, she was put into carbon freezing. Well at least she didn't have a wedgie at the time of being frozen. Imagine having one of those for three years and not being able to pull it out.

Hehe, sorry about the weird moment but, I really do like the story.

14. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    Cattie- *gasps* You didn't kill off Leia. You didn't, you couldn't, I'll kill you if you did! Nooooo! The readers of Daddy's Little Girl already killed me! HAH! so you can't! SO THERE!

Jedi_bubbles- This one likes the story a lot! This one is hoping that you post soon? this one has a barabel for a reader? :D As long as that one is a reader, this one is happy!

Don't worry, I have talk-like-a-barabel days too, Z's and all.

Poor Jaina, she was put into carbon freezing. Well at least she didn't have a wedgie at the time of being frozen. Imagine having one of those for three years and not being able to pull it out.

[face_devil] I'm not that evil! My muse, cleo, wanted to kill off leia AND give jaina a wedgie. I said no!

Hehe, sorry about the weird moment but, I really do like the story.

Oh. So that's what's going on. No problem. Thanks for the reviews!

15. Kyo-kun_Fan

Kyo-kun_Fan Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2004
    Umm, this one wasn't talking like a Barabel. This one was doing a Ruroni Kenshin thing. The main charater in the story refers to himself in the 3rd person and this one wanted to do it too.

Post?

16. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    oh. Okay.

Post tomorrow. Every two days is what I'm trying for.

I'm waiting for Mistress_Renata to OK some questionable content, though.

17. Handmaiden_Rabe

Nov 2, 2003
    This one also says post. This one with kill that one if post is not up in two days. This one will engoy killing that one if that one does not post in two days. This one likes talking like a Barabel. ;)

18. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    I have the chapter writen and I'm waiting for Renata to get back to me on content.

hopefully, she'll okay it and I won't have to go to author's court.

19. Trickster_Jaina_Fel

Trickster_Jaina_Fel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2002
    This looks interesting... :) *hopes she'll be able to keep up this time :p* Just a warning--I have chronic procrastination. Sometimes, I fall behind and can't catch up until the fic is completed. So if I disappear, sorry :p

Interesting idea :D When is Zekk coming in?

~TJF

20. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    Just you wait.

Around the same time as Ben :p yes, I will

Okay. this chapter is pretty much it's original format, except for a few things. read between the lines. *happy little euphamisms!* PM me if you really need to know.

Chapter three

I?m falling apart
    I can?t take the weight
    It?s just too much
    I don?t like my fate

I?m loosing control
    not stepping in time
    I cannot say
    what?s on my mind

It?s harder to bear
    I know that I must
    when everyone?s an enemy
    who can I trust?

I?m walking alone
    not keeping a pace
    I?ll be the last person
    to finish this race

but what is my purpose
    why do I flee?
    what is the feeling
    that it is hunting me?

Mara set the glass of water on the table in front of Jaina with a loud clunk and the girl reached weakly for it. Jaina hadn?t been telling the story for more than three minutes when she was wracked by uncontrollable sobs. ?You want to start over?? Mara asked. Between gulps, the girl nodded.

?I think I should,? she said, draining the glass and putting it down. After a coulple of breaths, she began to speak, ?I don?t remember where I was born, or much about my family, but I know I had a sibling who was really close to me in age. I don?t remember if he was older or younger or a twin or whatever, but I was never alone when I was little, which is why it was such a shock to me when I was sold into the spice refineries when I was five-?

?What happened to you parents?? Mara interrupted.

?They died, at least, I know my mother did. I saw them shoot her. There?s a huge blank right after that - I lost some of my memories when I was in carbon freeze - But when they took me - I remember that my father had a horrible look on his face - I don?t even remember the look or his face, just that he had it. I was four at the time. I hardly remember anything from when I was four. I was in a holding cell - it?s all just a blur of gray- but when I turned five they sold me to the spice refinery folk for a little less than 100 credits.? She reached for her glass but remembered it was empty and Mara got up to refill it.

?Keep talking. I?ll be back in a second,? she called. Jaina nodded.

?I worked in the refineries for a year - I remember hearing about Kyp getting busted out - before I was sold again to a ship refurbishing company on Ord Mantell when I was six. I knew I wouldn?t be of much use- they seemed to know that too, because they put me to work toting spare parts around. I?d been working for a week before I started tinkering with things in my spare time. One thing led to another and they put me to work as their youngest mechanic. by the time I was seven, I could rebuild a hyperdrive with my eyes closed,? she paused to take a sip of water and continued, ?I worked as a mechanic for nearly seven years, but right before I turned thirteen, the man in charge of the corporation made a bad business deal - if the deal had done well, he would have been able to free all twenty of us slaves and pay us as independent employees. But the deal went bad. The company lost billions of credits. The boss had to sell some of us. Me, especially, he said he was sad to see go. He told me that had he had it his way, I would have been one of the ones to stay, because I was the best mechanic he had, but someone had made an offer. A high offer - I should have been suspicious then, because it was a rediculously high amount. The man who bought me was the kind of horrible person who liked teenaged girls. I didn?t want to be his plaything, so right before the sale was final, I found the slave?s bill of rights, which stated what he wanted to do was illegal. Just to get rid of me, the man who bought me froze me in carbonite and left me to float around a dwarf star, where, he thought, no one would ever see me again.? Jaina looked down at her glass quickly, and a tear dripped onto the table.

?I shouldn?t cry,? she said swiftly, wiping her eyes on her sleeve.

?No,? Mara said, ?Go ahead. You?ve got a right to.? After a moment, she smiled, ?I won?t tell if you don?t.?

21. Lusa_Thul

Lusa_Thul Jedi Master star 4

Sep 9, 2004
    Whew, finally caught up! Awesomeness Vongchild! I really like it! :) Clever idea!

When does Zekk show up? :D Hehe!

22. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    Lusa Whew, finally caught up! Awesomeness Vongchild! I really like it! Clever idea! YAY! Thanks. You're not too shabby a writer yourself.

When does Zekk show up? Hehe!

Okay. Jaina is thirteen right now.... Jacen is sixteen.... give it five or six chapters.

23. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Vc: Impressively impressive! :D

- The Imperial Ewok

24. Trickster_Jaina_Fel

Trickster_Jaina_Fel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2002
    Ohh...poor Jaina :( But I really can't see slaves having a chart of rights :p ;)

~TJF

25. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    Oh, eh... the bill of rights.... It's somewhere along the lines of

"You pervert, you might own them but it's still rape."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.