main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amphitheatre Reform Proposal

Discussion in 'Communications' started by RidingMyCarousel, Aug 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    you're very late, I_D ....

2. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    I'd guess that the reason that the Amphitheatre doesn't have a mod specifically for that forum is because it is a low traffic forum.

I visit there daily and there's usually threads on the first page (50 ppp) that haven't been responded to in three, four, or sometimes five days.

When I've seen an off-topic thread or other problems in there I've simply found a mod on the Users Online page and have always gotten an immediate response.

You can post all the rules of the forum in gigantic flaming letters and inappropriate threads are still going to slip in. That's just the way things are. Accept that and move on.

3. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    And how exactly is this drama? Its simply a discussion of how to improve one of the boards. Don't spam [face_plain]

I too am really starting to enjoy the Amphitheatre. I would like to see some more people in there as well. I think its pretty simple on how to do that as well.

If you frequent the Amphi and you see a thread in YJCC that you think might work for Amphitheatre tell the author. Just something simple in your response might work. Something like "you might consider this for Amp", or "Next time you have a thoughtful thread like this give the Amphitheatre a try". Even if it isn't up to Amphi standards you could tell them that, "This is a great thread, with a little work it could start some great discussion in the Amphitheatre."

I also think that we that frequent there need to be a little more tolrent and helpful of new posters there. Instead of just saying "no "whatever" threads allowed here try the YJCC" maybe by giving a few sugestions on how to make a thread Amp worthy we'll keep some of these Amphitheatre newbies instead making them think that its to much trouble. Yeah I've seen my fair share of threads that should be imediatly locked but some of them could be saved and turned into some good threads. As has been said before its a growing forum and those of us that use it need to make sure that it does grow ;)

Just my $.02

I'd really like to see creation of the Amphitheatre go down in the history of the JC as a glorious begining and not a failed exparement.

4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    weezer, I agree that I don't want to see the Ampitheater go down. But something needs to be done, for sure. Some mods maybe, and possibly some other dedicated members who are willing to help promote it or something? I don't know for sure, I just know myself and others like you don't want to see it end. Some real intelligent discussions of all art forms show up there once in a while. It just needs a few tweaks.

And you're right, this isn't drama. This is simply a discussion...

-sj loves kevin spacey

5. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Right sj. I really don't think more mods will help anything. In fact I'm agreeing with those that say that less moding might be prefrental.

I don't think that the Administration can really do anything about any problems that I see in the amphitheatre. Those that visit it are the ones that should be working on it.

6. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    I think this is a bit premature.

Almost a year ago, the fan fiction board was split into two forums, one specifically for stories and the other for, well, everything else. The best description I have of what happened is that the fan fiction writers' resource board became a runoff pond, and we had a lot of general stuff in there that didn't really belong. It was a few months before the moderator (I believe it was Julie at the time) started setting up specific rules on what was and was not allowed. The forum has to go through growing pains of a sort before it settled down into what it is now.

The Amphitheatre is the same way - it's still a very new forum. It's going to have these kinds of problems for a while, until everyone, moderators included, learn precisely what the forum is for. Give it some time; this is too early.

Mel

7. MrEmh

MrEmh Jedi Youngling star 2

May 14, 1999
    It took the Senate time to get into its groove, too.

8. darth daedelus

darth daedelus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 1999
    The Ampitheatre will take time to develop but arts and culture often does. I have to hold my hand up here - I'm more interested in politics, art and culture than I am in Star Wars, but I tend to go to messageboards dedicated to those issues rather than the Jedi Council. The internet is a big place.

9. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    What's spam is RMCOY's blatant "MAEK ME A MOD" campaign. The Amphitheatre doesn't NEED reform, nobody visits there to begin with AND it's a new forum. It's not a source of flame wars or trolling like the other forums are and the only problem is a few misplaced threads. But of course, I'm sure a dedicated mod will be needed for the forum with no traffic, and who better than RMCOY? What next, a Fan Force NC reform proposal?

Please. [face_plain]

10. wstraka5

wstraka5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2002
    1stAD, you should back off of RMCOY. He presented not only his ideas but Terr_Mys as well regarding reform of the Amphitheater. This has generating fruitful (judging by the posts before yours) discussion between the mods and the users, which is what Comms is supposed to be about. If you honestly have a problem with the author of the thread, you should PM him about it instead of coming here and making angry statements about him. [face_plain]

11. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Whether the accusations are true or not, they should not be brought up in this manner. Take it elsewhere, please.

12. weezer

May 16, 2001
    The Amphitheatre doesn't NEED reform, nobody visits there to begin with AND it's a new forum.

Yeah that would partialy be the point here. One of the things that has been brought up is how to make more people visit that forum that so many of us have come to enjoy. [face_plain]

13. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

Put a link in your sig. That'll get people coming.

14. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Or better yet... I offer you guys this gif I just made. Feel free to use it to generate some more traffic in the Ampitheatre, as I would very much like to see a more active forum!

[image=http://www.boomspeed.com/canoli42/ampitheatre.gif]

15. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    Dan, as always, you say or do just the right thing at just the right time..

16. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    LMAO at Dan.

17. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    I wonder if this thread will still be around when the Amphitheatre regulars come here to request more mods because there are too many people in the forum, making reasoned conversation too difficult. [face_mischief]

18. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Put a link in your sig. That'll get people coming.

There you go again Griffz being all logical :p

I think I'll just link to Dan's .gif

19. SPECTOR

SPECTOR Jedi Master star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    Well said Gandy, well said.

My only comment is that RMCOY and Terr_Mys should have taken this to Gandy first instead of tring to get attention by posting here. The Amp is not falling to peices like you might think if you read RMCOY's post. Tring to jump right over a mod's head to the admins is rude and unnecessary.

20. Terr_Mys

Terr_Mys Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Actually, SPECTOR, we were going to do that, but decided not to.

But, um...don't ask me why. That was RMCOY's decision. :p :)

21. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    Whats wrong with my Official Halloween Thread?

22. Radiohead

Radiohead Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    Yeah, there's nothing wrong with the Amphitheater; it just needs direction. First, there needs to be a supportive mod presence in the forum (notice I didn't say there should be more mods). Actually, I think GtG and KW are doing a good job, but certain users simply ignore the rules of the forum; in order to prevent rule-breaking, there should be a more palpable mod presence.

Second, there has to be fewer comments that appear much like this:
    "Go away. This thread is wrong for the Amphitheater. Jesus Christ, why don't you read the forum rules for cripe's sake? Take it to Community. Oh yeah, and don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out. Buh-bye."
    Of course, I'm exaggerating a bit, but certain frequent visitors are too harsh when it comes to redirecting topics. That needs to stop, because it will only drive away potential visitors.

Finally, there are a handful of topics that cycle through decent discussion and then off-topic banter. That must be prevented in order to allow these threads--and the Amphitheater--to thrive.

23. Jon_Solo

Jon_Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2002
    We should lobby Congress to make people immerse themselves in the Arts. That way people will know more about them and want to share them at the Amphitheatre.

24. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    We should lobby Congress to make people immerse themselves in the Arts

Not everyone is interested in the Arts or would be interested.

25. 1stPersonPlural

1stPersonPlural Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2001
    You have to realize that it's not always so easy to recognize sarcasm over the internet.

It's an honest mistake. I'm sure that everyone has done it at least once.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.