main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Amphitheatres' Metaltropolis (Trial Version 1.0)

Discussion in 'Community' started by spooky-kid, Jan 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    No he does, but a lot of two hand tapping and stuff.

This track has been redone from the Animals As Leaders version to a duet with Kelela Mizanekritos on vocals. It's not heavy but his playing is astonishing. Using an effects pedal to loop some verses.

2. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Tosin Abasi with Misha Mansoor of Periphery

And Periphery

3. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    @duende, Sunbather. Thoughts?​

EDIT: By which I mean the deafheaven album.

4. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    check the listening thread for my thoughts on duffhaven.

Ender Sai likes this.
  5. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    here's a cover of burzums dunkelheit by now-defunct finnish doom band reverend bizarre:

Ender Sai likes this.
  6. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    duffhavens: black metal crossed with shoegaze, with neither genre's greatest strengths in evidence.

i think i like this description better than my last one.

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    IDK man, I really enjoy it. The BM vox add a lot of raw emotion that compliments the music well, but I love Mogwai and Explosions in My Pants The Sky.

I also went back and listened to Fear Factory's last good album, Demanufacture. I remember when this came out, it was a game changer. Doesn't sound it now, but if you consider you had standard death metal from your Morbid Angels or Cannibal Corpses; some grind/grove stuff like the Entombed wolves album and stuff but this? This was something else.

8. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    i love mogwai too, but i shouldn't. there's just something about them. explosions in my balls i find to be boring. i never listened to fear factory, i just figured they were like part of the new wave of butt metal back in the day. and i would not call morbid angel standard death metal - that guitarist is a frickin' pioneer, or was anyway. nobody could touch him in terms of raw creativity and imagination.

i think part of my problem with duffhaven is i've heard so many dudes saying "man, i hate metal but i really love that duffhaven album. now THAT'S metal i can get into." skinny, nerdy dudes wearing striped shirts and thick glasses and mustaches.

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  9. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    LOL yes well said. I remember my somewhat hipsterish friend texted me saying, "I think my favourite album of the year might be a black metal album." Of course I was like "What??" and then found out about Sunbather. I've only heard one song and I actually dug a little bit of it but the amount of love for the album from non-metal people is kind of hilarious.

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh yeah for sure; I wasn't aware of the hype until after I heard Dreamhouse (first song on album). But I got the same response I get when I'd introduce people to ISIS or Rosetta - "Oh yeah I love the music but the vocals are too much".

Trey Azagoth is a pioneer, sure, but in 1995 what MA were doing wasn't innovative anymore. I mean this is the time that the big albums in metal were still Chaos AD (Roots hadn't come yet); Far Beyond Driven etc.

11. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    true, but they came back with formulas fatal to the flesh, which was a ravenous, incredible album and possibly my favorite ma.

Ender Sai likes this.
  12. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    Ender Sai

check it: i found this death metal band started by this guy that plays a microtonal guitar. it's totally fuggin sick!

13. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
  14. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    how many gwar people have died now?

15. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    i'm listening to the complete works of a finnish band called moonsorrow. normally i don't go for this cheesedickish kind of stuff, but i'm really digging these guys. very ambivalent about the stupid gnomefolk bits though.

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh I remember them from when black metal first got big in the 90s, when Varg was all in jail and stuff.

17. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    oh yeah? they're not really black metal though, like almost not at all.

18. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    They're more like epic folk metal. This song's good:

19. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    so is "epic metal" a distinct subgenre? because it makes me think of power metal. i don't think of this band as power metal though because the vocals are not operatic.

20. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Yeah a lot of the "epic" stuff is usually power metal but you can find elements of it in other subgenres. Perhaps you could substitute epic with "atmospheric" in this case. :p

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

I don't know their music sorry but they were definitely part of the BM movement, or maybe just at least rode its coat-tails. I remember they used to be in Terrorizer quite a bit.

22. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    they probably did ride its coattails. there's probably hundreds of moon bands though.

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  24. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    gonna be in and out in 30 seconds.

25. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    varg has a youboons channel:

Thread Status: