main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Amusement Parks

Discussion in 'Community' started by Skywalker8921, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    What amusements parks exist in your area, or what parks have you gone to?

We've been to Carowinds (on the North-South Carolina border for those who may not know) several times. I enjoy riding their Carolina Goldrush, Carolina Cyclone, and Scooby Doo Ghoster rollercoasters.

(I refuse to call the Scooby-Doo ride by its new name, so please don't correct me.)

Last time I went I finally rode the Top Gun (or Afterburn, I suppose it is now) after getting cold feet the previous time - and actually loved it.

One ride down there I will never, EVER, ride again is Thunder Road. The only time I rode it I was 9 years old and Dad had to keep his arm around me to stop me from sliding under the seat bar because it was difficult for me to stay in the seat. Plus it jerked me around too much.

Up in the mountains there's Tweetsie Railroad less than a hour from our place. I haven't been there in over ten years, but I loved riding both the big train and the Mortimer Mouse Mine Train.

Of course we've been to Walt Disney World in Florida three times. 'Nuff said.

2. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    I have two six flags near me. The one in Jersey is good but be careful. I found out that there is one day where the park is closed for the entire day for the employees of Pfizer. It sucked to have to turn around.

3. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    Whoops, forgot another one - Ghost Town in the Sky in Maggie Valley, NC. Been there once, but it has shut down and reopened so many times I've lost count. It just reopened again recently, but I don't expect it to stay running long.

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I've been to Kings' Dominion, Busch Gardens, and Water Country USA, all in Williamsburg, VA.

ma_petite likes this.
  5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I've been to Disney Land, Disney World, Six Flags over Texas, Universal Orlando, Alton Towers and Thorpe Park. Disney World wins for me.

6. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    Same here. Do you have any favorite rides down there?

7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    That's a tough one. Expedition Everest, Tower of Terror and Rocking Rollercoaster are all worth multiple rides. The newish Pan and Ariel rides are gentle but nice. Looking forward to the new mine train ride next time I go. You?

8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I really, really, really miss being a short drive from Cedar Point.

xblackout likes this.
  9. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Isnt that the capital of rollercoaster heaven?

10. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I love the Six Flags in New Jersey, though the lines there are killer. Even though Six Flags has plenty of rollercoasters, the scariest ride I've ever been on is a log flume at Rye Playland since it was badly maintained and I thought I was going to die.

11. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    Diggy,

Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, and the safari are some of my favorites. Haven't had the luck yet to ride any of the new rides or even Everest or Star Tours II. I haven't been down there since early 2006 just before Everest opened. Dad and Mom went down there in January last year, but I wasn't invited. Boo!

The new mine train ride does look good, and Dad and Mom said they enjoyed the new Mermaid ride last year.

12. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    If I'm translating you correctly, I think the answer is yes. Cedar Point, at least over a decade ago when I lived near it, was the pinnacle in America for roller coaster enthusiasts.

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Ah, I forgot the safari, , space mountain and Haunted Mansion. There are too many good rides :p

14. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    Yeah.

Actually, Space Mountain is more OK to me. I rode it in 2006 and it was all right, but a little too jerky for my taste.

Edit: Ghost Town in the Sky not actually open yet, my bad. Was supposed to open today, but it got pushed back to the 4th. Quite frankly, as much as I would love to see GTITS get back on its feet, the string of bad luck that has dogged them for the last 12 years or more - bankruptcy, maintenance problems, you name it - makes me wonder if the park shouldn't just be shuttered permanently.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011

LOL, I won't either. Scooby Doo is always Scooby Doo.

I live 20 minutes from Carowinds; we have season passes and go about once a week during the summer. There are three new slides in the Boomerang Bay water park and my kids are in love.

Favorite rides: I used to love Thunder Road, the Carolina Cycle, the Vortex and the Hurler when I was younger but I've lost my tolerance for most roller coasters the past few years. Not sure why. I'll still ride the hell out of Scooby Doo though. My new favorite ride is the Windseeker. My kids ride the Scrambler about 86835 times in a row.

Tweetsie: I've been several times, but too much noise and smoke for me. The last time I went was when my kids were still small enough for Thomas the Tank Engine and I took them to the Day Out with Thomas exhibit.

I've also been to Busch Gardens--Williamsburg, Magic Kingdom, Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure and Animal Kingdom.

Best rides: Space Mountain, Aerosmith Rockin' Roller Coaster, the Loch Ness Monster.

I really want to go back to Florida now that The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is opening.

16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    anakinfansince1983

You've also been to Hollywood studios, or under its former name Disney-MGM Studios.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I knew it had changed its name, just couldn't remember to what. :p

And yeah, MGM. I stand corrected.

18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    What did you put instead, Universal, or is MGM in addition?

19. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
  20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I've actually been to both. But it was in 2001 and I couldn't remember which rides were where. :p

The Spider-Man ride is the only one I recognize from Universal.

21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I've been there, but only vague memories remain. I do want to go to the HP part, though.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    The last time we went to Carowinds it was just Dad and me. Mom can't really stand their' roller coasters any more because of back issues.

What about the new Carolina Cobra? Is it any good?

I don't think I have the stomach for the Intimidator.

23. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Only Disneyland, Disney World (Epcot and Studios), Universal Studios, Seaworld Orlando, Islands of Adventure, and Tokyo Disney. Will be adding Disneyland Paris later this year.

Oh and Australia's awesome theme parks Movie World, Dream World, Sea World and Wet'n'Wild.

I think Islands of Adventure was my favourite, and Disneyland/Magic Kingdom for the nostalgia.

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    How was Tokyo Disney?

25. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I've done the Disney World parks (Epcot, Magic, MGM/Hollywood) plus Universal. Sea World if that counts. Six Flags, Busch Gardens, Michigan Adventure, King's Island, Boblo...and probably more that I'm forgetting.

I've been to Cedar Point at least 25 times...and it may be more.

It was just something the family would do during summers. We'd have one real vacation, then spend the rest of the summer hitting amusement parks, zoos, museums/exhibits, going to the beach/pool, etc. They're just quick and cheap family fun with little planning or investment of time or money.