main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends AN 1/18 YOUNG DARK RISING

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DarthIshtar, Aug 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Post 100. AN auspicious sign of prosperity to come.

2. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Upping for the sake of the sanity.

3. Clef

Clef Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 26, 2003
    *blinks*

Whoa! Being MIA and coming back to all these posts. This is awesome! Can't wait for more! :D

4. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Yay! Thanks.

5. Keeper_of_Swords

Keeper_of_Swords Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    since she was broadcasting annoyance and wariness so loudly that a force-blind halfway across the Galaxy could read her thoughts.Original....and creepy

6. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah, kind of creepy. This story is going to pick up really soon from its boring diplomatic state to a bit of insanity.

7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Upping for later.

8. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Up. I will write more when I am done with Then Comes the Night, but I can't make any promises for this weekend, since I'll be at my best friend's wedding and 2500 miles away from my laptop.

9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    ::digs around until she finds the story at the bottom of the barrel, then throws it in the air. It socks her in the head, quite unmercifully, adding to her numerous glue-gun, fiance-induced, and hang-nail injuries.::

UP!

10. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
  11. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Fiance-induced injuries? :eek: You know what the cure for that is, though, don't you?

12. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh, sith!

He just stepped on my toe with all 6'2" of him and broke off half the nail. It hurts to walk on it.

13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Okay, due to Jane's consternation and a fresh wind of energy, I'm unlocking this. It may cost me my sanity, because it's the only story that I currently have to think hard for, but I'll be updating again sometime soon.

14. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    It's good to hear that this will be continued, but I hope you're not thinking that you've been forced into it. I really was enjoying it, though, and a little hard thinking never hurt anybody ... *watches steam come out of DarthIshtar's ears* ... yet ... ;)

15. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Lol. I know about hard thinking. You're talking to the girl who, when she had a job, would spend all the time between shelves plotting scenes, dialogue, plot points, plot bunnies, etc. I've been plotting this one for a while, but it's coming with a bit more difficulty than the other things I'm working on.

16. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    I saw this in the review thread of the Writer's Resource Forum and decided to check it out.

Man, am I glad that I did. This is fantastic. You've got me on the edge of my seat waiting to find out what happens next. Awesome job!

Loved the Mulan reference by the way 8-}

*LtJS*

17. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    What mulan reference?

18. Lt_Jaina_Solo

May 27, 2002
    The one with the only one spy is needed to deliver the message...

19. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Ah, yes. That was my favorite part of the movie other than the "Now let's see your war face! Oh, I think my bunny slippers just ran for cover!" and "Can you stay for dinner?" "Can you stay forever?!"

20. Lt_Jaina_Solo

May 27, 2002
    [face_laugh] I loved that movie. Still do- it's one of my favorites

21. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    That and Newsies are the only Disney movies I like because they're not dilluted reality. I HATE things like Hunchback of Notre Dame or Pocahontas.

22. Lt_Jaina_Solo

May 27, 2002
    Have to agree with you there...

23. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I hate perfectly good stories ruined by some selfish need to feel happy-go-lucky.

24. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Ela had a bad feeling about the strike before they even left the ground, but she didn't bother saying so until the first shot hit their aft shields.

"I have a bad feeling about this," she voiced.

"Why didn't you say so?" Miphe gritted, pulling the shuttle into a steep climb.

"Because..."

She clapped a hand on his shoulder briefly before heading for the aft guns. "You never believe me until it's too late anyway. I'll cover you from the turret."

He shouted something, but she couldn't hear it over the whine of the engines straining to clear the atmosphere while more shots weakened their already feeble shields.

Her headset went on before she was even seated and she could immediately hear the reason for the concern she felt coming from Miphe.

"We have to get out," he was calling, "but don't forget who we are. We cannot make ourselves a hostile force. If we appear warmongers, they will treat the remaining Jedi as a threat and kill them whether they are responsible or not."

"Somehow..."

One hand swung the gun sixty degrees to starboard, squeezing off a salvo that clipped the wing of the angular fighters. In the next moment, the fighter crashed, off-balance, into its wingman.

"Somehow," she finished as she strapped herself in and returned the other hand to the controls, "I don't think that they'll treat the Jedi as anything but a threat. Mines proved that."

"Nevertheless..."

"I know," she said patiently. "I won't forget."

The viewports were going hazy, another sign of passing through the atmosphere. The firing had stopped, both sides recognizing that even a disabling shot, combined with the friction of passing through atmosphere, could be disastrous for any ships in the area.

Hopefully, Miphe would take the time that advantage provided to slip past whatever lurked beyond.

Indeed, the engines kicked into higher gear, throttling past the pursuit craft. In moments, they were in the thick of the Coalition blockade, weaving at a dizzying speed through the web of ships. It was a slightly suicidal move, since whatever wrong turn they made could leave them plastered against the side of a cruiser.

On the other hand, though, it gave them the advantage that none of the ships particularly wanted to fire upon each other, should a crossfire fail. Shielding of the capitol ships was too erratic, too new to be trusted and Miphe obviously knew that.

She kept a steady stream of fire on their closest pursuers, watching them disappear, not from destruction, but common sense kicking in.

"I think they've let us past," she reported gleefully.

"Stand by for hyperdrive activation."

Her hands fell away from the controls and in the next moment, the space above Alderaan had disappeared into the mottled skies of hyperspace.

Relieved, she sagged back into the chair, slowing her breathing and allowing her heart to return to its normal pace.

"I think," Miphe panted, "you're getting too good at this."

She allowed herself a small smile, pushing to her feet. "I'll be up front soon enough to argue the point," she replied.

He met her halfway, steering her instead to the small galley. "It's a long week to Corellia. We can wait a bit to start in-fighting."

Immediately, her face contorted into an exaggerated pout that had never failed her since becoming an apprentice. "But then the trip will be boring," she protested.

Laughing, he pushed her onto the nearest bench. "Ela Uine Seik," he said sternly, "you are over twenty-five years old and it's been thirteen years since you started that pout routine. It's time you learned a new method of persuasion."

The pout disappeared behind a sabacc face. "Point taken," she conceded, "but if it's all right with you, I'd rather not make my place in the gunnery turret my newest method of persuasion."

"Good," he said tersely, but she could see the smile on his face.

The next moment, he'd wrenched open the door to the refrigeration unit and tossed a package of vegetables over his shoulder. She caught them, summoning appropria

25. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Sorry for the short post. Transition scene. Next post will be up tomorrow morning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.