main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends An Alliance at Alida's (L/M) ~ Part the 15th -A Pledge and a Promise (update 3-9)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by divapilot, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Title: An Alliance at Alida?s

Author: Divapilot
    Rating: PG
    Characters: L/M
    Summary: Luke convinces Mara that there?s more to him than she thinks.
    Time period: NJO, pre-VOTF
    Genre: romance

A/N: Written for the The Wordy Fic Challenge ?You?ll get a list of words and a word limit. You?ll then write a fic within the word limit and it has to include all the words given.?

Mara entered the establishment quietly, her cool gaze appraising the clientele. Judging by their apparent anthropocentrism, at least she didn?t stand out so obviously as a human. Still, it made her uneasy. She doubted that she could stay in the shadows for long, but she would certainly try.

She had answered his invitation with alacrity, simply to avoid anyone developing suspicions about her ambivalent feelings. Knowing she had arrived first made her feel better than having to meet him here. Any way she looked at it, this was going to be tricky, so she was determined to alleviate any potential disadvantages.

She silently took a seat at the bar, an advantageous place where she could continue to observe the others while keeping a wall to her own back. She abhorred feeling unprotected, physically or emotionally. Apathetic lifeforms slouched around the bar, regarding their own libations. No one bothered her with any assumptions about her motive for hiding in the darkened corner of the room. Lucky for them, since in her current mood she was as likely to aerate their torsos with her hold-out blaster as she was to bid them good evening.

A burly man, the archetype of a saloon barkeep, approached her. ?Order, Miss?? he asked brusquely.

She nodded at the expensive wine on the shelf behind him. ?That?s fine, thanks.?

He looked at her astutely, as if trying to place her, then wisely placed the glass in front of her. As she sipped the drink, he began to wipe the drink dispenser assiduously, keeping her in the corner of his eye. That was fine with Mara. Any barkeep who looked out for potential trouble was someone who knew how to stop problems before they started.

She looked up as the door opened, allowing a sudden brilliant slant of light to illuminate the establishment. A blast of hot, arid air swept in behind the new occupant.

She shook her head. Skywalker was getting better at it, but he still didn?t know how to blend in. There was something about that man. He reminded Mara of an avant-garde sculpture in a classical art museum. Still interesting, but not quite the aesthetic that one expected.

Mara rose quietly, tossing a few coins on the counter to augment the tab she had already paid the barkeep. Luke noticed her in the shadows and strode over to her. ?I?m glad you came,? he said.

She took another bolstering sip of her drink. ?Well, I didn?t want to deal with the allegation that I?m unsociable.?

He smiled, and his blue eyes sparkled. Oh stars, don?t do that, she thought, feeling suddenly and surprisingly off-guard.

?Shall we?? he said gallantly. He took her elbow gently, steering her into the lighted main room.

?I can walk all by myself, Skywalker,? she growled.

He laughed again, and she glared. ?You realize that I?m coming along on this anachronistic escapade simply to humor you.?

They entered the main dining area, where they waited for their table. Luke stood behind her, rocking slightly on his heels. She could sense a mischievous intent about him. ?It?s a called a ?date,? Mara. There?s nothing anachronistic about it. People do it all the time.? He leaned over her shoulder. She could feel his breath rustle in her hair. ?I?ve heard that the food here at Alida?s Restaurant is excellent. I?m just trying to put you in a good mood.?

?I?ll be happy if you don?t put me in an asylum by the time tonight is over.?

Their table was soon ready, and Luke was the perfect gentleman, waiting for her to be comfortable before seating himself. He reviewed the menu selections. ?Any favorites?? he asked.

?I like vegetab

2. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    that was truly wonderful divapilot!!

From the start with Mara slinking in the shadows to Luke's grand entrance to the ending lines. Everything perfectly paced, and perfectly laid out.

Why couldn't they have written at least ONCE something like this in profic?? [face_laugh]

Great job!

3. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    Mara allowed herself to lean into that warmth. Not that she would make it a habit, but for this ?date,? it was ? pleasant.

Looks like someones in denial;)

Great fic!

4. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Okay, I need to get my dictionary out for a few of those words...! ;)

Great job with the challenge, lady! I would have cried and thrown in the towel once I saw those words! [face_laugh]

And I just adore your Luke and Mara. So well written, and I just smiled the whole time. Excellent work! =D=

5. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    That was great and you made it work! Very hard to do with all those $10 words that were part of the challenge.

Bravo! =D=

6. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    beautiful, simply beautiful...

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Sweet, cute and funny: just the way I like it!!!
    Mara's definitely one to know her own mind and speak it ;)
    And Luke's right: if she wasn't interested, she wouldn't even give him the time of day. :D
    I like the way she picked up on his silent thoughts. :) :)
    Woohoo. Too bad this doesn't have a sequel--so far? [face_laugh] [face_batting] @};-

8. magehound

magehound Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2006
    this was very very nice, divapilor. wonderful response to that intimidating challenge! Although I honestly could see Luke using some of the aforementioned $10 words, (he is a Farmboy, after all) i figured he would have picked them up what with his sister being Cheif of State. Wonderful "date". But now you've only challenged me to write my own response to this..challenge? lol Now, who should I write it about?...hmm...lol..

9. cupid7

cupid7 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 10, 2004
    Brilliant start, divapilot! Mara seems taken aback by Luke's innocent approach. But we know what's on his mind![face_mischief]

I liked the description of the restaurant. What's next? When Alley_Skywalker posts his "B" words we'll get some idea of the cuisine? And perhaps something beyond touching hands? [face_blush]

Alley_Skywalker mentioned that his wordy fic challenge came out of studying for the SAT. What we need is to slip a L/M shipper onto the committee that makes up the test, then to subvert the test so the Verbal score is based on writing a L/M fic. That way the universities would fill with passionate romantics.:*

10. magehound

Jun 4, 2006
    'Tiss a cunning plan! I say we go for it! But we need a J/TK'er on the committee, too. wait, what if he's both?
    -
    *volunteers for the dangerous assignment*

11. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Kidan: that was truly wonderful divapilot!! From the start with Mara slinking in the shadows to Luke's grand entrance to the ending lines. Everything perfectly paced, and perfectly laid out.

Thank you! I exaggerated a little, but it was for a good cause.[face_dancing]

Alley_Skywalker: Looks like someone?s in denial. Great fic!

Yes, but she has no defense against the deadly combination of those beautiful baby blues and the irresitable Skywalker charm and persistence. Thanks!:)

Ginchy: Okay, I need to get my dictionary out for a few of those words...! Great job with the challenge, lady! I would have cried and thrown in the towel once I saw those words!

There were 35 SAT words. I knew most of them, but I did have to look up a few, and I?ve been teaching high school English for almost 10 years. (Honestly, what?s the point of throwing in words on the SAT that even experienced writers have to look up? You know, not a day goes by when I don?t find myself using the word ?anthropocentrism.?:rolleyes: )

And I just adore your Luke and Mara. So well written, and I just smiled the whole time. Excellent work!

Aw, thanks! They?re fun to write. Always with the banter, those two crazy kids.:*

Jade_Pilot: That was great and you made it work! Very hard to do with all those $10 words that were part of the challenge.

Hi Sis! Thank you! I hope I got paid $10 per word. Otherwise, I?m in for $350.:D

RedGold: beautiful, simply beautiful...

Thank you!:)

Jade_Eyes: Sweet, cute and funny: just the way I like it!!! Mara's definitely one to know her own mind and speak it. And Luke's right: if she wasn't interested, she wouldn't even give him the time of day.

That?s what we love about them, isn?t it? [:D]

I like the way she picked up on his silent thoughts.

At this point, he may not even have been aware he even thought it. He definitely didn?t mean for her to hear it. But it worked (in the fic and with the characters!). :)

Too bad this doesn't have a sequel--so far?

Let?s see what ?B? brings. (hmmm? ?boyfriend??) Maybe Bruno the barkeep will step up. [face_dancing]

Magehound: this was very very nice, divapilot. wonderful response to that intimidating challenge! Although I honestly could see Luke using some of the aforementioned $10 words, (he is a Farmboy, after all) i figured he would have picked them up what with his sister being Cheif of State. Wonderful "date".

Thank you! He may be a ?farmboy,? but he?s certainly very intelligent. He?s smarter than people think. I bet he picked up those words on his own.[face_thinking]

But now you've only challenged me to write my own response to this..challenge? lol Now, who should I write it about?...hmm...lol..

Well, get cracking!:D

Cupid7: Brilliant start, divapilot! Mara seems taken aback by Luke's innocent approach. But we know what's on his mind!

Thank you! He?s thinking love, love, love. He?s twitterpatted. And she is too, but she won?t admit it.;)

I liked the description of the restaurant. What's next? When Alley_Skywalker posts his "B" words we'll get some idea of the cuisine? And perhaps something beyond touching hands?

Maybe, maybe. It depends on what her list of B words is. If we get ?bombardment, bellicose, belligerent, and behemoth,? it might be hard to get any romance out of that.:(

What we need is to slip a L/M shipper onto the committee that makes up the test, then to subvert the test so the Verbal score is based on writing a L/M fic. That way the universities would fill with passionate romantics.

Brilliant! I know a few L/M shippers who would be excellent advisors and test readers.[:D]

12. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    :eek: Color me impressed. =D= You are just amazing when it comes to challenges. Well, you?re amazing anyway, but with challenges especially...that didn't come out right. [face_blush] You know what I mean. [:D]

That was wonderful! Is there any chance that you?ll continue it with the next set of words or on its own? I?d love to read more about this ?arrangement.? [face_batting] [face_praying]

13. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Jedi_Trace: That was wonderful! Is there any chance that you?ll continue it with the next set of words or on its own? I?d love to read more about this ?arrangement.?

Thank you! I'd like to continue, but that's up to Alley_Skywalker and the dreaded SAT. I do have some ideas about Bruno the Barkeep and Alida the Restauranteur and their indirect relationship to Mara and Luke. Let's see what happens!;)

14. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Presenting...

An Alliance at Alida's ~ Part the Second:
    The Burly Barricade

Alida slinked behind the bar to stand next to her husband and observe the couple sitting at the far table. She frowned and tapped a delicate finger against her chin. ?Why do I know them, Bruno?? she asked.

Bruno tilted his head. ?That?s Skywalker, the war hero. Don?t know the girl, though I?ve seen her somewhere.?

He leaned on the bar, his powerful forearms creating a buttress that supported his upper body. ?Surprised they?d come here. You?d think they?d pick some hoity-toity place,? he remarked.

Alida balked at the comment, and her lekku began quivering in their delicate lavender bands. ?Such bourgeois ideas! Why would my restaurant be unacceptable?? she huffed.

Before he could stop her, Alida spun about and stalked out of the bar, a fierce, belligerent expression darkening her pale blue face.

Across the dining room, Luke looked up over his caf to see a stately Twi?lek approach their table. He was surprised to feel indignation from the lady.

Mara glanced his way, receptive to the shift in his mood. ?What is it?? she asked.

?Not sure. But she?s not pleased.? Luke slowly placed his cup back on the table and radiated a benevolent presence through the Force and his expression.

?Good evening, gentle beings,? she said charmingly, a slight, musical accent decorating her speech. ?I am Alida, and I am honored to have you as our guests. Is all to your liking??

?Very much so,? Luke answered. He could sense that something was still not satisfying her.

Mara smiled brilliantly. ?Everything was wonderful, Alida, and we are thrilled that you would visit us personally.?

This comment seemed to please Alida, who relaxed a little. ?I am happy to hear this. My apologies, gentles. I become upset if I think that someone is displeased. This restaurant is very special to me. My father founded it, named it after me, and when he died, he bequeathed it to me.?

Luke and Mara exchanged a glance. Luke nodded appreciatively. ?I understand. You would be very hurt if you felt there was any blemish to your family?s reputation.?

Mara frowned. ?But why would you think this lovely restaurant was not to our liking?? she asked.

Alida clasped her hands together gently. ?You are famous. You are used to much finer places. You are not disappointed, then, in our humble establishment?? Her face seemed hopeful.

Luke smiled broadly. ?Not at all. In fact, I think this restaurant is just what we needed. You see, Alida, Mara and I appreciate a place where we could be certain we would have some privacy.?

She returned his smile brightly. ?I know what to do! My husband Bruno and I will make a special table just for you and your lady friend.?

Mara turned away, unexpectedly blushing at the seemingly benign words. Luke spoke quickly to give Mara a chance to compose herself again.

?You would be willing to do that for us?? Luke asked.

?Of course!? She motioned toward the bar, and the bulky human came over to their table. Luke stared up at the man who towered over them. A thought crossed Luke?s mind that only a fool would ever try to bilk this man when it came to the bill.

?This is my Bruno,? Alida purred. ?He works here as a bartender.? Bruno grunted in greeting, and Alida encircled her arm around his waist. Her sleek lekku twitched enticingly. ?He is such a romantic. Why, my Bruno is a true bard of love poetry. He wrote delicious sonnets for me before we were married. Of course he will help you.?

Alida ran her hand over his large biceps. ?And he is so strong!? she continued. ?If anyone bothers you, Bruno would take care of it.? Bruno?s formidable arm muscles bulged, and Alida giggled.

?Well, I?m impressed,? Mara said under her breath. ?He?d be the bane of any sludge reporter?s existence.?

?It would be a real help, Alida. We?ll reimburse you, of course,? Luke said. He wasn?t sure how; he didn?t earn much, but if ensuring her privacy made Mara more comfortable, then he would find the mo

15. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    LOVE it!! :D Great job getting all those B words in, and I love the barkeep and her husband! How cute! And, girl--that last line--how true!

?Why not?? she laughed. ?That?s the thing about you, Skywalker -- at least it?s never boring.?

It certainly isn't! ;)

Thanks for this wonderful continuation to brighten my day! [:D]

16. TnTornado

TnTornado Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2006
    LOL I'll say lifes never boring with them!!!

Keep it up Diva!!

TnTornado

Oh, and please add me to the PM list!

17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Life with neither one of them is boring. :D :D

I like Alida and Bruno. :)
    This is fun. Can't wait to see how things develop. [face_love] :D [face_dancing]

18. magehound

Jun 4, 2006
    that was just too cute, divapilot! I like that you actually introduced the Alida that the bar is named after. And a Twi'lek, too...[face_love] Twi'leks are hot...lol something about the lekku, or maybe the blue skin... [face_blush]
    Anyway, this was a very nice entry for the second challenge. Life with Luke, boring? Ha, when the Emperor wears Yoda Boxer's! [face_laugh]

19. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Yay!! You're continuing it! :D [face_dancing]

I really like your OCs here. I hope we see more of them in the future. :cool:

After the two had left, Mara placed her chin in her hand. ?If I didn?t know better, I?d swear you set that up to make me feel too guilty to say no to another date.?

?So you?ll go out with me again?? he teased.

[face_laugh] LOVED that!!

20. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Those two are great... heheheheheh

Great to see more of this!

21. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Wonderful job, sis! Just put a big ole' smile on my face!! :D I really like how you have continued the story using the 'B' words AND you made it work, perfectly. Your OCs are great! I really like Alida and her bartender husband, the poetry writer. (LOL)

Loved this:

After the two had left, Mara placed her chin in her hand. ?If I didn?t know better, I?d swear you set that up to make me feel too guilty to say no to another date.?

?So you?ll go out with me again?? he teased.

?Why not?? she laughed. ?That?s the thing about you, Skywalker -- at least it?s never boring.?

Dare I ask you to continue the story with the SAT words? I just hope she combines some of the letters such as Q, X and Z, otherwise:

"Zaney zitherers zoomed into the zoo-like establishment..." :p

Bravo, sister! =D=

22. Blue_Milkshake

Blue_Milkshake Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 18, 2005
    Aw, I like Alida. [:D]

Will we perhaps get a glimpse of the second date? I promise not to intrude too much--wouldn't want to have to face Bruno! [face_beatup]

23. Arwen_Djo

Arwen_Djo Jedi Master star 3

Jul 3, 2006
    Life? Boring?[face_laugh] I think any Solo/Skywalker would pay to have a boring life. These are both great. I can't believe you managed to get all of those word into it.:eek: I love my dictonary[face_love]

24. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Beautiful fic! =D= Don't know how I missed it before.

Love the first chapter - Luke and Mara calmly and rationally discussion a progression from their friendship into a relationship. Nice and unique.

He smiled slowly again. ?You have no idea what to make of me. I set you off-balance.?

Great observation from Luke there!

Loved the Twi'lek couple, and hope to see more of them. Would you be able to PM me when you update so I don't miss it?

25. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    I meant to reply after part one, but just didn't get to it. I'm really loving this so far! I don't think I could ever work in all those words into a fic, especially as well as you did. Are you going to try to continue the entire fic with the word challenges? Z = zippadeedooda, L/M are officially a couple!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.